Kramer Knife Auction Craziness

For questions/topics that don't fit into the other, more specific forums.
ronnie_suburban

Kramer Knife Auction Craziness

Post by ronnie_suburban »

Would you pay north of $5200 for a Zwilling knife made of unknown materials? Here's a screenshot from Kramer's current auction . . .

Let me say that I'm no hater. I hold Bob Kramer in high regard and wish that every hard-working bladesmith could enjoy as much success as he has. I actually own a knife by him that my wife bought for me late last century, before he blew up. Even then, the wait list was over a year and the knife cost around $300. I have zero interest in any knives at this auction price point -- wouldn't even consider it. But after reading the description of the knife at the auction website, I was curious . . .
Description

Up for auction is a knife from Bob’s personal collection. This is one of the serval knives gifted to Bob from Zwilling. This knife has never been used and comes with the original box and signed leaflet. Only 250 knives were made making this knife extremely rare. This knife is number 10 out of 250. The description below is from the leaflet. We hope you enjoy this blast from the past!

ZWILLING is proud to partner with “The Master of the Blade” (Saveur Magazine) Bob Kramer. Together we design and produce knives of exceptional authenticity, sharpness, and beauty.

This limited series consists of 250 hand-forged Damascus knives. Each knife combines the beauty and utility of Bob Kramer’s design with traditional German forging and progressive German technologies. The blade is made of the purest, high-quality, hand-forged Damascus steel.

The Limited Edition Damascus knives are handmade by one of the best blacksmiths in Germany. The knives are made of particularly pure Damascus steel, which combines
two types of steel (emphasis mine) with differing carbon contents, each contributing its own specific benefits. With a hardness of 61 HR (Rockwell), this combination is extremely hard and sharp and forms the basis of the Bob Kramer Limited Edition Damascus. The Limited Edition Damascus has an extremely high and durable initial sharpness. The fire welding process produces a steel block with 160 layers, which is then forged by hand and hammered to the required thickness. With this process, each blank has its very own structure and pattern of 160 layers. This knife is truly a one-of-a-kind specimen.

Tradition meets innovation in the bolster. ZWILLING is proud to deliver the first Bob Kramer-designed true Damascus knife with a fully forged bolster. The unique SIGMAFORGE blade is precision-forged from a single piece of Damascus steel.

The handle, made of grenadille wood, is precisely mounted with rivets and the prized Bob Kramer pin. Each is finished by hand to ensure perfect comfort and control
Something's missing. What two steels were actually used to make this blade? I sent an inquiry to Kramer and this is the reply I received:
in an email, kramerknives.com wrote:Zwilling never told Bob what the knife was made out of and since it was made such a long time ago it would be hard to find that information.
So, okay. I don't begrudge them anything at all but I just find it astonishing that someone is willing to pay this much (and probably even more before the auction ends) for a knife not actually made by Bob Kramer, and without knowing what it's made of. Maybe the composition is commonly known but if it were, it seems to me that someone at Kramer would know it and be willing to share it. It's also kind of weird that Bob Kramer's name is on the knife but he was so removed from its production that the composition of the steel was never shared with him.

The knife was not made by Bob Kramer. He owned it but never used it. In the end, the winning bidder is buying a story and a piece of history, and I guess that's enough for them.
=R=
Half of cooking is thinking about cooking.
XexoX

Re: Kramer Knife Auction Craziness

Post by XexoX »

Thanks Mr. Suburban. I think this falls under the Robin William quote, "XX is God's way of saying you have too much damn money." Maybe that is paraphrased. Also, when Robin said it, the XX was cocaine. I guess if you need a folly, this is as good as anything else.
You can blame Mr. Suburban for my being here. :lol:
The thing about quotes on the internet is you can not confirm their validity. -- Abraham Lincoln
All steels are equal if you can't keep them sharp. -- Jeff B.
TheLegalRazor

Post by TheLegalRazor »

It's certainly not for me. It's a Zwilling production knife, one of 250, and not a knife made by Kramer. Undoubtedly, it's made from pre laminated steel and not entirely forged by hand. The mystery of the two steels is bizarre. There are a number of gifted blacksmiths with damascus expertise who laminate their own steel and produce a stunning, truly handmade knife, for substantially less than the current bid of $5,250.
Ricardo
Kerneldrop

Post by Kerneldrop »

I had to google Bob Kramer.
I guess I'm lucky to just be able to cut food without one of his knives. It's saved me a fortune.
I see his Queen Bee 10" Chef's knife is $65,000.00

I'd rather support the small blacksmith shop. But I'm a redneck...I'm not an artsy collector.
Jeff B

Post by Jeff B »

Bob Kramer’s design...from Bob’s personal collection...Only 250 knives were made making this knife extremely rare...This knife is number 10 out of 250

These are the main things that are getting some "collector" to pony up that kind of money for this $300 knife.
But mostly XexoX is right,"XX is God's way of saying you have too much damn money."
If God wanted me to be a vegetarian he wouldn't have made animals taste so good.
ronnie_suburban

Jeff B wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2024 9:08 pm Bob Kramer’s design...from Bob’s personal collection...Only 250 knives were made making this knife extremely rare...This knife is number 10 out of 250

These are the main things that are getting some "collector" to pony up that kind of money for this $300 knife.
So much marketing BS, it rivals what one might find on a bottle of overpriced bourbon! :lol:
=R=
Jeff B

Post by Jeff B »

ronnie_suburban wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2024 10:54 pm
Jeff B wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2024 9:08 pm Bob Kramer’s design...from Bob’s personal collection...Only 250 knives were made making this knife extremely rare...This knife is number 10 out of 250

So much marketing BS, it rivals what one might find on a bottle of overpriced bourbon! :lol:
The fact that it's even up for auction shows how much it meant to Bob....
If God wanted me to be a vegetarian he wouldn't have made animals taste so good.
TheLegalRazor

Post by TheLegalRazor »

The final, winning bid was $6,250.
Ricardo
ronnie_suburban

TheLegalRazor wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 3:48 pm The final, winning bid was $6,250.
Well, the good news is that $625 of it will be going to charity.
=R=