Do you need to oil pakka wood?

Proper user technique and care is essential to enjoying these high performance knives to their fullest while keeping edge damage to a minimum. Learn how here.
darien87

Do you need to oil pakka wood?

Post by darien87 »

I just learned that wood cutting boards need to be oiled frequently. So that got me thinking about the wood handles on my knives. I'm pretty sure they're all Pakka and not real wood. But since Pakka does have some wood in it do Pakka wood handles need to be oiled as well?
aporigine

Re: Do you need to oil pakka wood?

Post by aporigine »

darien87 wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2024 9:14 pm I just learned that wood cutting boards need to be oiled frequently. So that got me thinking about the wood handles on my knives. I'm pretty sure they're all Pakka and not real wood. But since Pakka does have some wood in it do Pakka wood handles need to be oiled as well?
found on the web:

The key to properly caring for a pakka handle is the exact same as that needed for the blade and it’s to wash and dry the knife by hand after use.

The pakka wood handle can last a very long time if cared for properly, even in a high pressure environment such as a professional kitchen.

While pakkawood is largely waterproof as a result of the wood/resin combination, it should still be maintained the same way as you would a hardwood handle.

Long duration exposure to water in the form of soaking the knife or placing it in a dishwasher is likely to cause damage to the wood and should therefore be avoided completely.

Q: Do you need to oil pakkawood?

A: Use tung oil or mineral oil, the same ones you use for any other wooden piece, and buff with a soft cloth.

Tru-oil is another thing you can use. In cases where oiling the pakkawood isn't enough to get the shiny type finish you're used to, try to use sandpaper. Start with about 120 grit.
“The knife is the most permanent, the most immortal, the most ingenious of all man’s creations.”
- Yevgeny Zamyatin
gladius

Post by gladius »

Mark sells a good product you can use for handles and cutting boards.

CKTG Handle and Board Wax <<
TheLegalRazor

Post by TheLegalRazor »

I use CKTG Handle and Board Wax on pakkawood handles. I tried using mineral oil, but it doesn't get absorbed by the pakkawood .
Ricardo
trancher

Post by trancher »

I also use the CKTG Handle and Board wax, too. It brings back the shiny luster in the wood when too much water, high water temp or soap has turned the finish dull.