Show us your new handle

For questions/topics that don't fit into the other, more specific forums.
Bensbites

Re: Show us your new handle

Post by Bensbites »

Kekoa wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 2:00 pm What is the black one made of?
The twist in black? 3D printed a gold twist , then cast that in black epoxy resin. African Blackwood ferrule.
Kekoa

Post by Kekoa »

Bensbites wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 3:43 pm
The twist in black? 3D printed a gold twist , then cast that in black epoxy resin. African Blackwood ferrule.
Clever! That is a good use of a 3D printed shape in a handle. Is the orange handle done similarly?

Also curious what brand/model cleaver that is with the yellow handle.
Bensbites

Post by Bensbites »

Kekoa wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 7:44 pm
Bensbites wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 3:43 pm
Clever! That is a good use of a 3D printed shape in a handle. Is the orange handle done similarly?

Also curious what brand/model cleaver that is with the yellow handle.
Yes, the pin stripes are done the same way. I did create a form so I could use other materials for the pinstripes, I am waiting for the interested client to come along and want if.

The CCK bone chopper has a yellow cedar burl handle.
williammcgrath

Post by williammcgrath »

handle material????
kenscustomhandles

Post by kenscustomhandles »

My website is finally up and running.

www.kenscustomhandles.com

Please take a look and let me know if you have any questions.

Regards,
--Ken

trancher

Post by trancher »

Bumping this back to the foreground, and showing my first work with Tru-Oil.

A Tojiro F-701A (bygone line :cry: ) and CCK 1103. Both of these came with raw, unfinished wooden handles. I had oiled and waxed them for a couple of years and then got bored with them last week. No before photos but we all know what Ho wood looks like for the Tojiro and then whatever mysterious timberus for the CCK.

Order of Battle:
Masked ferrule blue painters tape, sand 220, compressed air to clean.
Stained with Minwax Early American 230, light on the Tojiro, heavier on the CCK. Dried for a couple of days.
Then, a thin coat of Tru-Oil with latex glove, dry overnight, burnish 0000 wool, compressed air, rinse and repeat X3.
Finished it off with a final burnishing, blowing and then CKTG Handle & Bored Wax :D
rehandle1.jpg
rehandle2.jpg
rehandle3.jpg
ronnie_suburban

Post by ronnie_suburban »

trancher wrote: Sun Dec 17, 2023 3:55 pm Bumping this back to the foreground, and showing my first work with Tru-Oil.

A Tojiro F-701A (bygone line :cry: ) and CCK 1103. Both of these came with raw, unfinished wooden handles. I had oiled and waxed them for a couple of years and then got bored with them last week. No before photos but we all know what Ho wood looks like for the Tojiro and then whatever mysterious timberus for the CCK.

Order of Battle:
Masked ferrule blue painters tape, sand 220, compressed air to clean.
Stained with Minwax Early American 230, light on the Tojiro, heavier on the CCK. Dried for a couple of days.
Then, a thin coat of Tru-Oil with latex glove, dry overnight, burnish 0000 wool, compressed air, rinse and repeat X3.
Finished it off with a final burnishing, blowing and then CKTG Handle & Bored Wax :D
Really nice work. They're attractive and also look comfortable and functional.
=R=
Half of cooking is thinking about cooking.
trancher

Post by trancher »

ronnie_suburban wrote: Sun Dec 17, 2023 4:20 pm Really nice work. They're attractive and also look comfortable and functional.
Thanks, Ronnie! I'm looking forward to taking them for a spin this week. The Tru-Oil added a little bit of slickness to the grip of the handle, and I was surprised the final burnishing didn't knock that back a bit more. I think the level is noticeable, but not problematic, especially coupled with a pinch grip.

I already had the sandpaper and stain, so spent $13 and loose change on this. Actually had a blast :D
Kekoa

Post by Kekoa »

Nice! Tru-Oil is good stuff, I first discovered it because it was popularly suggested for gunstocks which I had researched how to refinish. It is a polymerized oil finish, so it behaves similar to a oil resin blend finish, but doesn't have the resin so it is easier to get good consistent results.
trancher

Post by trancher »

Kekoa wrote: Sun Dec 17, 2023 8:33 pm Nice! Tru-Oil is good stuff, I first discovered it because it was popularly suggested for gunstocks which I had researched how to refinish. It is a polymerized oil finish, so it behaves similar to a oil resin blend finish, but doesn't have the resin so it is easier to get good consistent results.
Thanks, Kekoa.

I knew I wanted to stain those handles and was looking for a tough, lasting, water-resistant coating so the stain wouldn't come off on my hand over time - and possibly onto food? IDK if that last scenario is possible or not. Anyway, yeah, Tru-Oil seemed to fit the bill and sounded idiot proof. :D
aporigine

Post by aporigine »

This might be the right place for this.

I bought the fish spatula a few months ago on sale. I expected and received cheap&cheerful Chinese ware. It quickly became a kitchen favorite, even though I only buy fish to send it raw to Executioner Yanagi-san. For flipping tacos, I’m hard-pressed to imagine a better tool. Of course I spent an hour or so with a few files, dehorning the stamping burrs when I got it.

A month ago, I heard an odd click/ping. I didn’t figure it out til I picked up the spatula and noticed that it had shot a piece of handle halfway down the counter. I thought, no sweat, thought I while reaching for the five-minute epoxy.

A few days ago, the other front bit of the handle spanged off in my hand. On closer inspection, every rivet had lateral cracks radiating from it, with a few longitudinal ones as well. This was no longer an epoxy proposition.
IMG_3495.jpeg
the back handle scale; note earlier repair
the back handle scale; note earlier repair
I removed the handle and its three rivets, did a bit of physical therapy to take a minor bow out of the tang, and looked for something in the garage from which I could whip up a pair of scales. I found an almost perfect offcut of some Baltic birch plywood. It was too narrow by the proverbial red body hair to be halved using the table saw, but a narrow handsaw was just the ticket.

Here is the rehandled spatch, along with the tools used to shape the new scales. Once epoxied on, I gave’m the Alberto hot oil treatment with some 1:4 beeswax/walnut oil. Also pictured is crême d’old handle and the principal tools used to do the thing.

I don’t want to review the item on the store site. However I urge Mark to contact his supplier and get the defective handle matter sorted out.

Anywho — here is the new handle, rough but ready!
Baltic birch plywood sure is prettier on the outside than in
Baltic birch plywood sure is prettier on the outside than in
extreme close-up
extreme close-up
Last edited by aporigine on Mon Dec 18, 2023 3:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“The knife is the most permanent, the most immortal, the most ingenious of all man’s creations.”
- Yevgeny Zamyatin
trancher

Post by trancher »

I like it! Nice job.

At least none of the old handle snuck its way into your meal undetected. Ouch!
Kekoa

Post by Kekoa »

It looks quite snazzy now! Much better looking than the original handle and you get the satisfaction of having put your own work into it.