Carbon Skillets

Post great deals you've discovered on kitchenware like pots & pans, countertop appliances, knife blocks, towels and gadgets, etc.
Forum rules
Post great deals you've discovered on kitchenware like pots & pans, countertop appliances, knife blocks, towels and gadgets, etc.

Please do not announce deals from competitors on knives and sharpening stones. We reserve the right to delete posts that violate these rules.
Lufty13

Carbon Skillets

Post by Lufty13 »

Cutuu wrote: Sat Aug 18, 2018 9:47 pm
Lufty13 wrote: Sat Aug 18, 2018 9:32 pm
Jeff B wrote: Sat Aug 18, 2018 8:36 pm How much for the cast iron skillet? ;)
NFS. That's an almost 100 year old Griswold. :D
Damn that looks fine!
i love cooking in that pan, but, the pan underneath is a hand forged carbon steel pan that I think is my favorite of them all. Slick as glass, use it correctly and nothing sticks. Also much lighter than cast iron. Love it.
Cutuu

Re: Carbon Skillets

Post by Cutuu »

Lufty13 wrote: Sat Aug 18, 2018 10:43 pm

Damn that looks fine!
i love cooking in that pan, but, the pan underneath is a hand forged carbon steel pan that I think is my favorite of them all. Slick as glass, use it correctly and nothing sticks. Also much lighter than cast iron. Love it.
I've been meaning to get a good carbon pan.
Lufty13

Post by Lufty13 »

Cutuu wrote: Sat Aug 18, 2018 10:45 pm

Damn that looks fine!
I've been meaning to get a good carbon pan.
They are wonderful tools. it took me a bit of time to truly learn the ins and outs but damn the food tastes better and it's just as good as any nonstick you can buy.
enjay

Post by enjay »

Lufty13 wrote: i love cooking in that pan, but, the pan underneath is a hand forged carbon steel pan that I think is my favorite of them all. Slick as glass, use it correctly and nothing sticks. Also much lighter than cast iron. Love it.
Might that be a Blu Skillet or Blanc Creative pan?
Cutuu

Post by Cutuu »

enjay wrote: Sat Aug 18, 2018 11:31 pm
Lufty13 wrote: i love cooking in that pan, but, the pan underneath is a hand forged carbon steel pan that I think is my favorite of them all. Slick as glass, use it correctly and nothing sticks. Also much lighter than cast iron. Love it.
Yeah I'm curious which maker you have ?
Lufty13

Post by Lufty13 »

Cutuu wrote: Sun Aug 19, 2018 12:41 am
No, to either. The pan is from Newquist forge in Washington. I was really interested in getting a Blu or Blanc but ended up going with this one and I'm glad I did. Might try and get one from the others at some point.
lsboogy

Post by lsboogy »

Damn that looks fine!
+1 on carbon steel pans. Even the new ones. I have a 60 year old set of French made ones that are my favorites -
mauichef

Post by mauichef »

Lufty13 wrote: Sun Aug 19, 2018 9:43 am

No, to either. The pan is from Newquist forge in Washington. I was really interested in getting a Blu or Blanc but ended up going with this one and I'm glad I did. Might try and get one from the others at some point.
Looks very interesting. Half the price of a Blu or Blanc too!
Lufty13

Post by Lufty13 »

mauichef wrote: Sun Aug 19, 2018 3:19 pm

The cost was definitely part of my decision and in the end I can’t imagine either of those pans being better than this one. Now someone please buy my other two knives!! :D :)
Kalaeb

Post by Kalaeb »

I love my debuyer. Been looking at a hand made one for awhile now...
Cutuu

Post by Cutuu »

Lufty13 wrote: Sun Aug 19, 2018 3:24 pm

The cost was definitely part of my decision and in the end I can’t imagine either of those pans being better than this one. Now someone please buy my other two knives!! :D :)
How smooth are they? When I looked in the picture I think it was messing with my eyes. It didn't appear quite as smooth as I would think. In thinking abbout that one or maybe mafter. Or perhaps an icon,anyone use one. But I'm definitely getting one.
Lufty13

Post by Lufty13 »

Cutuu wrote: Sun Aug 19, 2018 10:28 pm

How smooth are they? When I looked in the picture I think it was messing with my eyes. It didn't appear quite as smooth as I would think. In thinking abbout that one or maybe mafter. Or perhaps an icon,anyone use one. But I'm definitely getting one.
It is very smooth and slick right out of the box. I also own two DeBuyer pans, also smooth but definitely need seasoning. I believe you could cook on the Newquist pan right out of the box.
If you buy one you won’t be disappointed.
Cutuu

Post by Cutuu »

Lufty13 wrote: Sun Aug 19, 2018 10:45 pm

It is very smooth and slick right out of the box. I also own two DeBuyer pans, also smooth but definitely need seasoning. I believe you could cook on the Newquist pan right out of the box.
Awesome, thanks!
Cutuu

Post by Cutuu »

Do you buy them off of Etsy?
Lufty13

Post by Lufty13 »

Cutuu wrote: Mon Aug 20, 2018 8:54 am
Do you buy them off of Etsy?
Yes, that’s where I bought mine from.
mauichef

Post by mauichef »

Kalaeb wrote: Sun Aug 19, 2018 7:49 pm I love my debuyer. Been looking at a hand made one for awhile now...

I was looking at this one for now... is it similar to yours?

Would love a hand made but there are too many knives in the works right now.
Lufty13

Post by Lufty13 »

mauichef wrote: Mon Aug 20, 2018 4:31 pm
Kalaeb wrote: Sun Aug 19, 2018 7:49 pm I love my debuyer. Been looking at a hand made one for awhile now...
I was looking at this one for now... is it similar to yours?

Would love a hand made but there are too many knives in the works right now.
I own the DeBuyer mineral B series but I’m pretty sure the material is the same. Very good pans but you will need to do an initial seasoning on them before use. Also they are quite a bit heavier than the hand forged one.
slobound

Post by slobound »

Man, now I want a carbon skillet.... :lol:
-- Garrick
Bensbites

Post by Bensbites »

I have matfer and lodge. I like them a lot.
snipes

Post by snipes »

I also have a little matfer. Perfect size for a couple of sunny side up eggs. Now if could just get the mrs. to stop using it maybe I could work up to slicker than glass. Still though just a teaspoon or so of butter and no issues with eggs sticking. So much lighter and quicker heating than cast iron. My next purchase will be one big enough to sear a nice ribeye in.
Thanks for the tip on the Newquist, I'll have to look into those as well.