Carbon Skillets

Post great deals you've discovered on kitchenware like pots & pans, countertop appliances, knife blocks, towels and gadgets, etc.
Forum rules
Post great deals you've discovered on kitchenware like pots & pans, countertop appliances, knife blocks, towels and gadgets, etc.

Please do not announce deals from competitors on knives and sharpening stones. We reserve the right to delete posts that violate these rules.
Drewski

Re: Carbon Skillets

Post by Drewski »

My Blanc Creatives pan arrived today after a shipping mixup followed up with some excellent customer service. Great communication on their part. Pan is a real looker. Excited to see how it bahaves with food stuffs.
20191025_173403.jpg
20191025_173917.jpg
20191025_173930.jpg
20191025_173938.jpg
Kalaeb

Post by Kalaeb »

Lucky man. Been drooling over those for some time. Congrats.
Bob Z

Post by Bob Z »

Wow that is gorgeous! If i get one my wife might make me hang it on wall like these copper guys.
Attachments
mauviel.jpg
Drewski

Post by Drewski »

Kalaeb wrote: Fri Oct 25, 2019 6:49 pm Lucky man. Been drooling over those for some time. Congrats.
Thanks. I definitely couldn't afford it though, and have been getting less sleep because of this purchase. I'll be back to sleeping well in a few weeks, and the pan will last forever, so it must be worth it. Blanc Creatives even does free re-tinning on their products.
stevem627

Post by stevem627 »

That Blanc Creatives copper looks fantastic. We love the carbon steel skillet we have. When we look at the prices of the knives, it just makes sense to have some daily use pans that reflect the handmade craftsmanship we love. They are not only great tools, they inspire us by just looking at them. Every time we use them when people are over they get conversations going. However, some people must think we're just nuts for spending that much on pans and knives.
snipes

Post by snipes »

Jesus, I had no interest in a Blanc Creatives pan until I saw those pics. Wowzers.
Cutuu

Post by Cutuu »

Drewski wrote: Fri Oct 25, 2019 10:47 pm
Kalaeb wrote: Fri Oct 25, 2019 6:49 pm Lucky man. Been drooling over those for some time. Congrats.
Thanks. I definitely couldn't afford it though, and have been getting less sleep because of this purchase. I'll be back to sleeping well in a few weeks, and the pan will last forever, so it must be worth it. Blanc Creatives even does free re-tinning on their products.
I love copper and have checked their pieces out. Look wonderful!!!
Drewski

Post by Drewski »

While looking more at copper cookware (which I shouldn't be), I came across a pan that costs more than what I paid for either of my first two cars. 100% silver.

https://duparquet.com/products/solid-silver-cookware

Does anyone have experience cooking on silver? I've seen some companies who make copper cookware offer the option of tin or silver lining. Wondering if silver is crazy non-stick or possibly emits a singing rainbow when in use?
Bob Z

Post by Bob Z »

From reading what their site says, it has the best heat conductivity of all the metals but looking at my sterling silverware that sits out, I bet it will end up looking like a carbon steel knife after the patina fades and get to be a nasty gray color. But we look forward to you getting one and letting us know!
Kalaeb

Post by Kalaeb »

Bob Z wrote: Wed Oct 30, 2019 12:38 pm From reading what their site says, it has the best heat conductivity of all the metals but looking at my sterling silverware that sits out, I bet it will end up looking like a carbon steel knife after the patina fades and get to be a nasty gray color. But we look forward to you getting one and letting us know!
Copper does have the best conductivity and also patinas fairly quick. I have two sauce pans, one I let go au natural and one I polish on a frequent basis. The patina does not affect the performance at all, it is all just a matter of personal preference, similar to knives I suppose.
Bob Z

Post by Bob Z »

Kalaeb wrote: Wed Oct 30, 2019 2:54 pm
Copper does have the best conductivity and also patinas fairly quick. I have two sauce pans, one I let go au natural and one I polish on a frequent basis. The patina does not affect the performance at all, it is all just a matter of personal preference, similar to knives I suppose.
I agree with you about copper as it takes on some nice hues but I was referring to the link Drewski has to a sterling silver pan. https://duparquet.com/products/solid-silver-cookware
Kalaeb

Post by Kalaeb »

Bob Z wrote: Thu Oct 31, 2019 3:11 am
Kalaeb wrote: Wed Oct 30, 2019 2:54 pm
I agree with you about copper as it takes on some nice hues but I was referring to the link Drewski has to a sterling silver pan. https://duparquet.com/products/solid-silver-cookware
Ahh, gotcha. Dang, I wonder if I melt down some morgans if I could make one.
Drewski

Post by Drewski »

stevem627 wrote: Tue Oct 01, 2019 9:36 am The dimensions are in one of the illustration shots and you have to look at the pictures to get to it.

It is 13.5 inches lip to lip with a 9.5 inch bottom. It's comparable to the Blanc Creative Saucier but WAY less money. We like it being 2 inches deep, and the handles are really good looking.
One is on its way! Thanks for the suggestion. Extremely reasonable $18 shipping compared to the $85 I just paid for a different makers pan ^. And there's a 10% discount on everything right now at Santa Barbara Forge with the code "fallsale".
https://sbforge.com/
stevem627

Post by stevem627 »

Thanks for the FALLSALE info. I ordered another one for my Son and his Fiance.
slobound

Post by slobound »

Drewski wrote: Sat Nov 02, 2019 7:54 pm
stevem627 wrote: Tue Oct 01, 2019 9:36 am The dimensions are in one of the illustration shots and you have to look at the pictures to get to it.

It is 13.5 inches lip to lip with a 9.5 inch bottom. It's comparable to the Blanc Creative Saucier but WAY less money. We like it being 2 inches deep, and the handles are really good looking.
One is on its way! Thanks for the suggestion. Extremely reasonable $18 shipping compared to the $85 I just paid for a different makers pan ^. And there's a 10% discount on everything right now at Santa Barbara Forge with the code "fallsale".
https://sbforge.com/
I ordered one of their Sonora Roasting Pans right when they announced the sale. Can’t wait till it’s ready for pick up!
-- Garrick
Drewski

Post by Drewski »

If anyone was on the fence about getting a Blanc Creatives carbon steel pan, they are discontinuing the hand-made ones, which as of today are called the "Heritage Line". All their pans will now be made through hydro-forming and metal spinning (whatever that means). The new pans look, well, quite professional and machine made, but are missing that hand hammered beauty.

https://blanccreatives.com/cookware
https://blanccreatives.com/heritage
stevem627

Post by stevem627 »

I'm sorry to see they are changing the Blanc Creatives line. The new style looks like the "Made in" carbon steel pans but are priced a lot higher. I'm happy we have one skillet from them, but now we will buy Santa Barbara Forge for our family..they were less expensive than Blanc anyway.
Drewski

Post by Drewski »

Got my Santa Barbara Forge large roaster today. Beautiful purples and blues in the finish. I'll update after some usage.
Attachments
20191202_175149.jpg
20191202_175212.jpg
stevem627

Post by stevem627 »

The Santa Barbara roaster is our most used pan. If you want to break it in easy (the seasoning is good out of the box) I I’d do a bunch of bacon and fried potatoes first. We did lots of grilled cheese and steaks and BAM it was WELL seasoned.
Chocu1a

Post by Chocu1a »

For anyone wanting to try some blue carbon steel pans on the cheap, look at Marshall/TG Maxx/Home Goods. I picked up a bunch of 10'' skillets for work at $12.99 each. They had 3 different sizes. Make wonderful omelette pans.