Nat stones for edge pro?

Moderator: ken123

Afjagjones

Nat stones for edge pro?

Post by Afjagjones »

Ken, have you ever considered natural stones for the edge pro? I don't know if you ever get pieces small enough, I doubt a few customers here and there would make it worth cutting a big one.
Kit Craft

Re: Nat stones for edge pro?

Post by Kit Craft »

Afjagjones wrote: Thu Aug 31, 2017 7:39 pm Ken, have you ever considered natural stones for the edge pro? I don't know if you ever get pieces small enough, I doubt a few customers here and there would make it worth cutting a big one.
I am pretty sure that Ken does in fact do J-nats for the edge pro. There was a fellow on the old forum that was big into J-nats and was an edge pro user but he doesn't seem to be around anymore.
ken123

Post by ken123 »

Thanks for asking. I have a number of Japanese Natural stones available for the EdgePro.

Just give me a call 209 612 2790 and I can go over what's available.

I've had them available for several years :)

---
Ken
ChipB

Post by ChipB »

Kit Craft wrote: Fri Sep 01, 2017 12:57 pm
Afjagjones wrote: Thu Aug 31, 2017 7:39 pm Ken, have you ever considered natural stones for the edge pro? I don't know if you ever get pieces small enough, I doubt a few customers here and there would make it worth cutting a big one.
I am pretty sure that Ken does in fact do J-nats for the edge pro. There was a fellow on the old forum that was big into J-nats and was an edge pro user but he doesn't seem to be around anymore.
That very well could've been me :)

The aesthetic applications that are most commonly associated with super high-end J-nat finishes throughout the grind/blade face can't really be taken advantage of on the EP so probably not a good idea to have a $50K j-nat cut down for the jig. That said, I'll be hitting Ken up soon for another round of Monzen and Aono Aoto, Meara and perhaps some other suggestion he may have. Reason being, what the right J-nat can do when part of the right progression on the right knife as it relates to edge quality is just mind blowing. Not to mention, if one wants to maintain a specific finish, or deal with edge bevels on curved grinds while using an EP, j-nats can be a big assist. They do cost more than the synthetics out there, but not astronomically so and the results I've been able to achieve with them have been spectacular.

Without a doubt, lean on Ken for help here. He's the man when it comes to j-nats for the EP and has a fantastic perspective on the use of j-nats for the purpose of edge quality given the straight-razor crowd he sells to as well.