Scores of new arrivals and so few reviews.

Info on some of the new items and services available in the ChefKnivesToGo online store.
wphill

Scores of new arrivals and so few reviews.

Post by wphill »

Is it just me? After getting to the point of being able to appreciate commentary on knives that I have never used there's so few posts and at a time of new smiths coming into view. I enjoy reviews and just as interesting if shared by long timers with a known penchant for doing so or others completely new to the forum. Doesn't need to be an end all exhaustive description of their experience. Ditto, whether it be a home cook or in a professional context.
J david

Re: Scores of new arrivals and so few reviews.

Post by J david »

Which knives are you curious about. The only recent new arrival I've tried is the Makoto 240. For what it's worth, I think it may be the hands down best bang for the buck on the site. Obviously, I've not tried everything, but this one is really great.
salemj

Post by salemj »

I think a couple of the old timers are busy with other things. And some have just run out of cash or patience. Haha. I'm about to run into a busy season myself again, and will likely stop posting regularly for many months. But I also know that it has taken me a lot of effort to get back into things this summer after the change-over to the new forum—the shift in tone, personalities, etc., was actually a bit of a jolt.

It is times like these that I wish I wasn't in Canada. It would make it a lot easier to organize pass-arounds and other such things to try and review knives. I also think that the other side of the equation is that, after a while, a lot of seasoned users tend to go higher-end after a while, or to become more obsessed with what they already have. Once you get up there, it is more difficult to spend the money on a less expensive knife just for kicks because it becomes more about pruning and less about trying. It is different for pros, of course...but I'm not a pro.

The other side of things is that, being in the game for a little bit, I am always very hesitant to write detailed reviews on knives until after I have used them for several months. I have enough knives that new ones don't get put through the paces (as a home cook) more than once a week at best, and sometimes a lot less frequently than that. So, it takes a while to be able to say something new, original, and valuable. And often, by that point, I feel like I am talking about a knife that no one is really interested in, because it is no longer the "it" knife.

But really, I think this just speaks to Mark's energy when it comes to promoting new products. It is genuinely hard to keep up, especially across all ranges. Furthermore, those who live with knives longer know that a lot of what makes a good knife is only revealed over time, after a couple sharpening sessions. Sure, it is obvious whether or not a knife has potential right off the bat, but whether it actually meets that potential in the long run or not, that is another story...

I have to say, though, that it seems like a few more seasoned owners ARE posting more about sharpening. Perhaps it is just a time thing. I can only speak for myself, but i know that I am at the point where I have a fantastic collection of knives as far as I'm concerned, so my attention is more and more on how to maintain them, including sharpening. I think this is pretty exciting, and I like the fact that more and more people are developing deep connections with knives not from spending money on them, but from spending time with them.

There are plenty of knives I'd like to try, but I have to admit that there really are not that many knives that I think would be an improvement over what I already have. Honestly. Seriously. It isn't that I feel like my collection is all "amazing" knives...it is just that I like the variety of my collection, and I honestly feel like it would be pretty boring to just have a bunch of honyakis or something. Even the knives I want to try tend to just be variations on what I already have, so it is difficult to justify the 500-1000k to try something that is likely very similar to what I already have. The exception, of course, is customs by American makers, which tend to be more unique. But those are not really part of the CKTG playbook, anyway.

Sorry for the rambling thoughts. Just felt like chiming in.
~Joe

Comments: I'm short, a home cook, prefer lighter, thinner blades, and own mostly Konosukes but have used over a dozen brands.
Kit Craft

Post by Kit Craft »

Yeah, I couldn't review any of the new stuff as I don't have it. Loads of Tojiro, Fujiwara and other budget stuff, though. :P I have some stuff that isn't offered here too but I'd not want to review any of that. On top of that, I am not that experienced in the kitchen to begin with!
Lepus

Post by Lepus »

Most of the knives I think you might want to read about haven't been out that long. I offered my early impressions on the Kashima and posted a product review for the retail site, but only because not many people have the knife. A month is pretty early to be able to offer a review on something I expect to keep for years.

I think it was Melampus who originally avoided snapping off quick reviews and the more knives I use the more I favor that approach. I do tend to write quick reviews after passarounds or the like, but I haven't tried any new knives in the short term, either.

I have had my Kashima and Doi for a little more than a month and my Kanehiro aogami super and CKTG line knife for a week or so. A Kashima review will come soon, a Doi review after I rehandle mine and use it a bit more, and a CKTG Line Knife review in a few minutes. I am impressed with all three and I'm not sure which is most impressive.

I might not review the Kanehiro. Quite a few people have written some great stuff about them. I don't have much to contribute that is wildly different.

I think 2017 has also been a difficult year for improbably many of us.
wphill

Post by wphill »

I can resonate with much said.
Once I don't have enough storage or reason to get more knives, I'm more focused on sharpening such as considering the likes of a natural stone.
First impressions can be misleading.
A tough year for a range of reasons. Me, too comical to explain but my summer has been spent trying to recover from a concussion on top of other medical issues. Yet, that's why I come here. Distraction as the best antidote. Going to the gun range too risky.
Without getting into specific knives of interest, indeed there are those that regularly share reviews. Just looking for more authors from varied backgrounds and that some knives don't get lost among such large inventory. Yoshimitsu et al were around a long time before much written. Not a big deal. Reviews are fun to read and can be taken with a grain of salt. I don't mean to be critical as much as an observation of what I enjoy without seeing more money fly out of the house.
Kit Craft

Post by Kit Craft »

Lepus wrote: Mon Aug 21, 2017 12:27 am Most of the knives I think you might want to read about haven't been out that long. I offered my early impressions on the Kashima and posted a product review for the retail site, but only because not many people have the knife. A month is pretty early to be able to offer a review on something I expect to keep for years.

I think it was Melampus who originally avoided snapping off quick reviews and the more knives I use the more I favor that approach. I do tend to write quick reviews after passarounds or the like, but I haven't tried any new knives in the short term, either.

I have had my Kashima and Doi for a little more than a month and my Kanehiro aogami super and CKTG line knife for a week or so. A Kashima review will come soon, a Doi review after I rehandle mine and use it a bit more, and a CKTG Line Knife review in a few minutes. I am impressed with all three and I'm not sure which is most impressive.

I might not review the Kanehiro. Quite a few people have written some great stuff about them. I don't have much to contribute that is wildly different.

I think 2017 has also been a difficult year for improbably many of us.
Actually, the Kanehiro would be the one I would be most interested in hearing about. :lol: Remember, what was reviewed on the old site may not be here and a lot of newer posters do not know to go looking for it.
Altadan

Post by Altadan »

As felt as ever, hm?
“If we conquer our passions it is more from their weakness than from our strength.”
― François de La Rochefoucauld
lsboogy

Post by lsboogy »

I'm beggining to join the ranks of those who use knives for a bit before deciding about anything. A few years ago, I was a home cook who thought I knew something about knives. For the past year I have been learning about higher volume stuff and my views are changing - what is good for someone cooking for two 5 days a week is much different than doing boxes of veg and protein for 200+. As I use a knife more, my views change. Not as interested in a super sharp knife cutting an onion, more interested in a comfortable knife to cut 100 onions that just goes where it's pointed. Takes longer to decide what works well for me, so I review less. Plus, I'm only supposed to buy one knife a year (violate it a lot - Jen, thank you for understanding). I tend to review less stuff, and with a different perspective than the usual home cook now.
thetoe

Post by thetoe »

I agree with OP. I'll start doing my best to give feedback and include some pics, maybe a video.
stalliondawg444

Post by stalliondawg444 »

Same here! Just joined this community and will start adding to the review content once the collection grows and I get more experience. This forum is so dope!