Welcome To Chefknivestogo Forums! Introduce Yourself!

For questions/topics that don't fit into the other, more specific forums.
XexoX

Re: Welcome To Chefknivestogo Forums! Introduce Yourself!

Post by XexoX »

Welcome Ype! It is great to have you here.
You can blame Mr. Suburban for my being here. :lol:
The thing about quotes on the internet is you can not confirm their validity. -- Abraham Lincoln
All steels are equal if you can't keep them sharp. -- Jeff B.
fordland01

Post by fordland01 »

👋🏻 I’m Chad. I used to buy knives all the time, but over the years I dwindled my collection as I no longer work BOH.

However, I discovered recently my anxiety is getting off the charts and one of the things that seems to calm me down is cutting things as perfect as I can. It’s therapeutic and want to be around like minded people.
XexoX

Post by XexoX »

fordland01 wrote: Mon Oct 10, 2022 11:09 am 👋🏻 I’m Chad. I used to buy knives all the time, but over the years I dwindled my collection as I no longer work BOH.

However, I discovered recently my anxiety is getting off the charts and one of the things that seems to calm me down is cutting things as perfect as I can. It’s therapeutic and want to be around like minded people.
Welcome Mr. Fordland01! Good group of people here, so enjoy your visits.
The thing about quotes on the internet is you can not confirm their validity. -- Abraham Lincoln
Jeff B

Post by Jeff B »

Welcome to the forum fordland01, looking forward to having you join in!
If God wanted me to be a vegetarian he wouldn't have made animals taste so good.
Kekoa

Post by Kekoa »

Hello all!

I am no newbie to knives, but have only started intensive knife research over the last few years. I have spent many hours learning freehand sharpening and enjoy it as a hobby. However I am new to Japanese kitchen knives and look forward to learning more here. My first Japanese knife is from CKTG, a Yahiko Ginsan Nashiji Santoku, and I'm excited to find out what a high quality kitchen knife can do!
trancher

Post by trancher »

Welcome to the forum, Kekoa!
Kekoa wrote: Sat Oct 15, 2022 1:04 pm My first Japanese knife is from CKTG, a Yahiko Ginsan Nashiji Santoku, and I'm excited to find out what a high quality kitchen knife can do!

Great pick for your first j-knife!
Kekoa

Post by Kekoa »

Mark suggested it, so I figured it was a good choice, plus I had someone else recommend Ginsan steel. It seems to be a very nice steel that behaves similar to other steels that I like. It is a very well priced knife too. :)
Alexander

Post by Alexander »

It is a pleasure for me to be here with all of you. I would like to ask you to please keep posting for all of us, because we can learn from your experience.
Jeff B

Post by Jeff B »

Welcome Alexander, glad to have you with us!
If God wanted me to be a vegetarian he wouldn't have made animals taste so good.
Marzipan

Post by Marzipan »

hullo from up in Canuckistan! my name is Marz and I do love almonds.

I scored a wicked deal on a Shun Kai Tan Ren knife set for about what one or two of them would cost by themselves about 8 - 10 years ago. I love them!

my wife has damaged most of them being she is Norwegian and used to German steel... fortunately they still work well. I married after getting them and never had a chance to discuss their use and care before it was too late. old friends re-connecting, whirl wind romance and married after a couple months and half that time was separated by some distance. she's lucky I love her more than I do knives... ;)

now I've learned a lot more and want to try some new things... like if I could live with using a cai dao / chuka bocho for almost everything and try out using a bunka and kiritsuki instead of a gyuoto...and then learn how to sharpen properly.
trancher

Post by trancher »

Welcome, Marz! It sounds like you'll fit right in here.

Depending on how bad the damage is to those knives, soon you might be able to sharpen all of that history out of them.
Marzipan wrote: Fri Nov 25, 2022 11:59 pm ...and I do love almonds.
Raw?, toasted?, in homemade nut butter? All maybe?
Marzipan

Post by Marzipan »

trancher wrote: Sat Nov 26, 2022 12:15 pm Welcome, Marz! It sounds like you'll fit right in here.

Depending on how bad the damage is to those knives, soon you might be able to sharpen all of that history out of them.
Marzipan wrote: Fri Nov 25, 2022 11:59 pm ...and I do love almonds.
Raw?, toasted?, in homemade nut butter? All maybe?
I love em all ways! I prolly go through 1kg of raw every couple of months...have em as my bedtime snack :D
eddiesalita

Post by eddiesalita »

Hi from Australia.

Long time reader, first time poster. I have learned much perusing these pages over the years. I'm a bit house bound for a while. So I thought I would finally join.

I'm a 47 year old carpenter from down under. I've had a fascination with edged tools since I was a little kid. I don't remember all my knives. But I recall my first one, at about 6 in a camping store in a tiny town called Cooktown I purchased a brass handled folder pocket knife. The first of many.

Cooking is in my family. A family of giants that love to eat. German grandmother was a pastry chef. We grew up on a market garden farm. People have always brought me their knives, chisels planes, axes, saws, scissors etc... for sharpening. I do enjoy it, its my happy place. But one can get overburdened being too useful in this area.

My kitchen knife passion began when I scored a job in a delicatessen when I was in school. I soon learned I have a talent for knifemanship. Progressed to boning chickens commercially on the side, continuing while I was an apprentice for extra money.

I don't have much japanese steel in knives. I have plenty in woodworking tools however, so am very familiar with it. Only tojiro dp and a garage sale shun. My other kitchen knives are victorinox and wustof mostly. A couple of cck cleavers. But am looking to get a carbon gyuto soon. Mark suggested a Shiro Kamo Yoru Blue #2 Gyuto 210mm for me. Due to my unique gorilla sized hands. I think it looks the goods. Life is scaling back due to wife sickness, moving to a smaller place and kids leaving home a couple acres where we grow a lot of our own food. Bit of carreer change also.

So my desire is to scale back the knife clutter in favour of a more simple minimalist collection. A gyuto, nakiri, petty, bunka. All my long time dream of fine Japanese blades. I will keep my victorinox large scimitar and boner and a wustof pumpkin cracker.

I invested in a wicked edge a few years back. It's great. But nothing compares to getting one's hands all pasty on stones.

Nice to meet you all
taz575

Post by taz575 »

Welcome to the forums!!! When you are ready, just post in the Knife Recommendation forum and we can help figure out what will work well for you! The Shiro Kamo are nice!!

I prefer a larger than normal handle (weal XL gloves), but many Japanese Wa handles are on the small side. A Wa handle knife is good for this since it is easier to remove the handle and install a new, larger one yourself! As a carpenter, you should have no problem making a new handle to fit your hands!
XexoX

Post by XexoX »

Welcome eddiesalita! A very nice introduction. I do hope you have fun here.
eddiesalita

Post by eddiesalita »

Thanks for the welcome.
You're right taz, it's a bit of extra blade height I need, so much to go for tall versions as I don't like the look. But always practicality first. Handles are no problem at all.....i've a rack laden with exotic timber offcuts that asking to be a handle. I could even try a D shape and see if I like that. Fill the hand a bit more without taking finger space.
Jeff B

Post by Jeff B »

Welcome to the forum eddiesalita, glad to have you join us! Just know that by doing this your wallet may develop a big animosity towards you over time, the rabbit hole can run deep! :D
knollbrent@me.com

Post by knollbrent@me.com »

Welcome!
Tran@200

Post by Tran@200 »

Hello, my name is Thuan. I'm new to knife collecting and knife sharpening. I joined here to learn more about the art of knife sharpening, as well as differrent types of knives and steel. Also, to get great deals.
trancher

Post by trancher »

Hey, Thuan. Welcome to the forum!

You're in luck, everything you're seeking is what we're offering. :D

Enjoy!