Welcome To Chefknivestogo Forums! Introduce Yourself!

For questions/topics that don't fit into the other, more specific forums.
XexoX

Re: Welcome To Chefknivestogo Forums! Introduce Yourself!

Post by XexoX »

Welcome Mr. Sean.
You can blame Mr. Suburban for my being here. :lol:
The thing about quotes on the internet is you can not confirm their validity. -- Abraham Lincoln
All steels are equal if you can't keep them sharp. -- Jeff B.
jimbobali

Post by jimbobali »

Hi guys, I'm Jim, Canadian ex chef of many years working through some Montreal kitchens then settling and working in Vancouver for 15 years. Partnered in a couple of restaurants then sold out and moved to Bali in 2007 and been here ever since.
I always collected and used vintage Sabatiers in a professional environment as well as at home. Always sharpened my knives myself but with the lack of my browsing internet forums back then I realize now that I was taking way too much steel off of my knives with cheap coarse stones. I'm now reading alot and practicing my sharpening techniques on some of my old knives and some cheaper new Gyutos to some decent results.
I'm now rekindling my love of knives and have been sucked into the rabbit hole of Japanese knives and thoroughly enjoying the journey. Thank you all for the wonderful information and hours of very interesting reading on here
Jeff B

Post by Jeff B »

Welcome Jim. Canada to Bali, that is some move! We hope you jump in and share some of your knowledge and experiences with us!
If God wanted me to be a vegetarian he wouldn't have made animals taste so good.
LuisOrama

Post by LuisOrama »

Hi, my name is Luis Orama from Puerto Rico. I’m a passionate home cook and have been learning about knives for the past two years. I currently own various Japanese knives and will like to continue the immersion in the kitchen knives world.
trancher

Post by trancher »

Welcome, Luis!

We can certainly help you immerse yourself in the j-knife world. ;) 8-)
tomkevans

Post by tomkevans »

I'm Tom and live in New Hampshire.

I'm very much a beginner even though I've owned Japanese knives (cheap ones) & done my own hand sharpening for close to 50 years. However, my equipment & technique were very sub-par.
So, in the last few months, I've finally decided to up my game.
I now have a new Cerax 1000 stone & a nice Kyohei Shindo Blue #2 knife from CK2G with another one on the way.
I'll have plenty of questions about technique & equipment starting right away with one about stropping (in the appropriate sub-forum).
XexoX

Post by XexoX »

Welcome Mr. Kevans! You will find lots of information here as well as knowledgeable people willing to help you with your endeavours.
The thing about quotes on the internet is you can not confirm their validity. -- Abraham Lincoln
TheLegalRazor

Post by TheLegalRazor »

jimbobali wrote: Mon Jun 26, 2023 9:23 pm Hi guys, I'm Jim, Canadian ex chef of many years working through some Montreal kitchens then settling and working in Vancouver for 15 years. Partnered in a couple of restaurants then sold out and moved to Bali in 2007 and been here ever since.
I always collected and used vintage Sabatiers in a professional environment as well as at home. Always sharpened my knives myself but with the lack of my browsing internet forums back then I realize now that I was taking way too much steel off of my knives with cheap coarse stones. I'm now reading alot and practicing my sharpening techniques on some of my old knives and some cheaper new Gyutos to some decent results.
I'm now rekindling my love of knives and have been sucked into the rabbit hole of Japanese knives and thoroughly enjoying the journey. Thank you all for the wonderful information and hours of very interesting reading on here
Welcome, Jim.
Ricardo
Catbert

Post by Catbert »

Yáu! I’m a prep cook at a marina & resort on the central coast of Canada - Shearwater, to be precise.

I was an enthusiastic/practical, mostly vegetarian home cook. Fortunately I dated many girls from various European & South American families and leant a bit about their cuisines :)

I am married to a First Nations cook off 20 years experience, so I have a varied foodie mentality & of skills to match.

As a professional artist of 37 years, I bring creative thinking to every experience I take/make. Thanks for having me! My chef introduced me to you guys! My main blade is a Mac Mighty 9.5” Gyoto.
konechno

Post by konechno »

Hello!

I'm Mike, originally from Wisconsin, now live in Miami by way of much of Latin America.

I'm an enthusiastic if basic home cook, recently introduced to Japanese knives over the pandemic and greatly enjoying the immersion. Perhaps have been a bit overly aggressive in collecting (if there's such a thing?).

Excited to find this forum, to learn more about knives and gain insights to improve my sharpening skills.
XexoX

Post by XexoX »

Welcome Mr. Mike! If you hesitate in anyway in buying a knife, especially from CKTG, just ask for help. We are all enablers here. If you haven't figured it out, some knives sell out quickly, like in minutes or even seconds. If a knife is out of stock, sign up for the email notification thingy, but don't delay in buying. Some knives I wanted were sold out by the time I responded to the email. I've even lost out on knives in my cart that were snatched out before I could finish placing the order.
Jeff B

Post by Jeff B »

Hi Mike, glad to have you!

Interest in Japanese knives exploded during the pandemic with so many more people working from home, eating out less and having to cook more. I have several friends that rediscovered the satisfaction in cooking and enjoying a good home cooked meal.
If God wanted me to be a vegetarian he wouldn't have made animals taste so good.
trancher

Post by trancher »

Catbert wrote: Fri Jul 14, 2023 10:40 pm Yáu! I’m a prep cook at a marina & resort on the central coast of Canada - Shearwater, to be precise.

I was an enthusiastic/practical, mostly vegetarian home cook. Fortunately I dated many girls from various European & South American families and leant a bit about their cuisines :)

I am married to a First Nations cook off 20 years experience, so I have a varied foodie mentality & of skills to match.

As a professional artist of 37 years, I bring creative thinking to every experience I take/make. Thanks for having me! My chef introduced me to you guys! My main blade is a Mac Mighty 9.5” Gyoto.
Welcome, Catbert!

This sounds like my dream job. Fish city :D

Between what is surely numerous Euro countries, S. American cuisine and a resort job in Canada, I bet your cooking portfolio is highly diverse and very delicious. I'm jealous.

Again, welcome! (and sorry for the late welcome...didn't see it until today :oops: )
Vedrath

Post by Vedrath »

Greetings all, long time listener first time caller here. Loved blades my whole life, got my first pocket knife at age 5 (a 2 blade slip joint Barlow I still have) and have run the gamut from katanas and bowies to all things outdoors(have a hoffman axe on order), I've maintained and sharpened everything I've had for just as long. I carry that passion into my profession as a cook/chef of the last 14yrs and have finally taken the plunge into J knives as of last year, having creeped around it (and here) for a long time. Prior to that the pride of my knife roll was a set of shuns I bought myself as a young line cook years ago which I still enjoy. Looking forward to mingling here, exchanging knowledge, potential trades and whatnot.
ronnie_suburban

Post by ronnie_suburban »

Vedrath wrote: Mon Jul 31, 2023 11:49 am Greetings all, long time listener first time caller here. Loved blades my whole life, got my first pocket knife at age 5 (a 2 blade slip joint Barlow I still have) and have run the gamut from katanas and bowies to all things outdoors(have a hoffman axe on order), I've maintained and sharpened everything I've had for just as long. I carry that passion into my profession as a cook/chef of the last 14yrs and have finally taken the plunge into J knives as of last year, having creeped around it (and here) for a long time. Prior to that the pride of my knife roll was a set of shuns I bought myself as a young line cook years ago which I still enjoy. Looking forward to mingling here, exchanging knowledge, potential trades and whatnot.
Welcome aboard! :)
=R=
Half of cooking is thinking about cooking.
taz575

Post by taz575 »

Welcome!
XexoX

Post by XexoX »

Vedrath wrote: Mon Jul 31, 2023 11:49 am Greetings all, long time listener first time caller here. Loved blades my whole life, got my first pocket knife at age 5 (a 2 blade slip joint Barlow I still have) and have run the gamut from katanas and bowies to all things outdoors(have a hoffman axe on order), I've maintained and sharpened everything I've had for just as long. I carry that passion into my profession as a cook/chef of the last 14yrs and have finally taken the plunge into J knives as of last year, having creeped around it (and here) for a long time. Prior to that the pride of my knife roll was a set of shuns I bought myself as a young line cook years ago which I still enjoy. Looking forward to mingling here, exchanging knowledge, potential trades and whatnot.
Welcome!
Chiffonodd

Post by Chiffonodd »

Hey knife knuts, longtime chef knife enthusiast and sometimes competent home cook. I've enoyed several purchases from CKTG over years and have been tooling around other knife forums for some time. Happy to finally join the CKTG forum in an effort to aid my perpetual quest for the one knife to rule them all. Looking forward to discussing with y'all 🔪
mauichef

Post by mauichef »

Welcome Chiffonodd!
Chiffonodd

Post by Chiffonodd »

Thanks mauichef, nice to see a familiar face! I'm sure there will be a lot of us.