EDC Hygiene: Fixed Blade VS. Folder

For questions/topics that don't fit into the other, more specific forums.
Kekoa

EDC Hygiene: Fixed Blade VS. Folder

Post by Kekoa »

Does anyone edc a knife that they use for small food prep tasks when they are out and about? Where I used to live it was most practical to just use my Spyderco Endura folder when the need arose. I always edc an Esee Izula fixed blade as well, but it was always harder to pull out and had a shorter than preferable blade length. Where I have since moved to, nobody is intimidated by the visble presence of knives in public (as it should be) and I often go to Walmart with my TOPS Fieldcraft proudly hanging on my hip. My new residence affords me the option to carry longer fixed blades to handle food related tasks when I leave the house.

And that brings me to my actual question. What is more hygienic to use for an edc food prep knife, a fixed blade, or a folder? I have heard most fixed blade enthusiasts say that folders are less hygienic because they can get food stuck in the pivot, which seemed a fair enough argument to me at first. Then as I thought about it I wandered if the sheath becomes a bit of a hygiene concern. I don't carry around a knife just for food, it might get used for tape, cardboard, vines, wood, etc., then although I have probably wiped off the blade in any situation that gets it noticeably dirty, I then stick it back into the sheath without any legitimate sanitization. I may wash the blade next time I get the chance, but then what do I do, I put it back into the sheath that held the unwashed knife.

A folder on the other hand has the aforementioned pivot that can collect unwanted debris, but if you are careful it seems like you could avoid that being a major issue. Then when you fold it up after use, the blade fits between the scales without contacting them as far as I can tell. Once home, I can wash the blade and fold it back into the theoretically uncontaminated handle. Unless I'm wrong and the inside of the handle scales will get contaminated? Then there is also the fact that a folder gets put in your pocket, a potentially dirty, sometimes sweaty environment that sounds somewhat unappealing to retrieve a knife from then cut your food with.

My most assured solution to either knife type I suppose would be to sanitize the blade before ever using it on food, but that pretty much means bringing alcohol wipes with me everywhere. Maybe not a bad idea anyway. Even if that is the end solution, I am curious to hear the thoughts of anyone else, what do you think is more hygienic, a fixed blade or a folder?
TheLegalRazor

Re: EDC Hygiene: Fixed Blade VS. Folder

Post by TheLegalRazor »

I've been hiking and backpacking for years and always carry both a fixed blade and a Spyderco Endura. I've never had a concern about using either for food after a day of having it in a sheath or in my pocket and using it for a variety of other tasks. If the blade looks grungy, I just wipe it quickly with a small, damp microfiber cloth.
Ricardo
ronnie_suburban

Post by ronnie_suburban »

I think that all things considered, you're better off with a fixed blade EDC for food prep. Not only are the pivots in folders problematic because food can get in them and they cannot always be cleaned well without disassembly but many of the substances used to maintain folders (and their mechanisms) are not food safe.
=R=
Half of cooking is thinking about cooking.
Kekoa

Post by Kekoa »

ronnie_suburban wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2024 4:30 pm ...but many of the substances used to maintain folders (and their mechanisms) are not food safe.
I disassembled my Endura a while back and removed all the original lube which most likely was far from ideal for using around food. I am currently using Ballistol as my lubricant, which isn't considered food safe, but it is pretty safe overall. What I have heard people do is use mineral oil for folders used on food, but since I am leaning toward a fixed blade for this role, I haven't wanted to ditch the Ballistol which I really like on my pivots. Mineral oil supposedly works pretty good though.
jmcnelly85

Post by jmcnelly85 »

The more moving components and nooks and crannies you have, the further from hygienic you become. Not that anything worn on your body is ever hygienic, but the lint collections and nastiness found in folders is pretty alarming. My work pocketknife is a benchmade 943 Osborne, and my day off knife is a Becker bk11. When I clean them it’s a night and day difference between the two. Neither are my first choice for making a salad but I wouldn’t hesitate to use the Becker on a deer or a bird but I really wouldn’t want to clean out the benchmade if I had to do the same task.
taz575

Post by taz575 »

Fixed blade. My folders get more gunk and stuff in them. You can always carry some alcohol prep pads if you need to quickly clean your blade off too.

What length would you be looking for? I make lots of edc stuff 😁
ex1580

Post by ex1580 »

I carry a Spyderco Para Military 2 in the woods and a Para 3 around town. Love them! I wouldn't hesitate to use them on fruit or veggies. I clean them once in a while with a product called Knife Shield made by KPL which is food safe. If they look fine I probably just wipe them on my pants or on a towel when done. I do remove any adhesive that gets stuck to the blade at the end of every day, or before food.

Meat is where things start to get sketchy. I would not want to field dress an animal with one of these folders only because then I would have to take the knife apart and clean it. I don't have that problem with a fixed blade. My Morakniv Companions may not be ideal for food prep but they work and are a breeze to clean. A long time ago I used a couple of Knives of Alaska knives for field dressing and processing game and they were very nice at the time.

I actually just got back from a camping trip and was thinking it would be really nice to pack a 150mm petty next time. I really missed my Funayuki, my new favorite knife, but CKTG doesn't have a saya the fits. It's not stainless anyway so maybe it should stay home. Time for a new petty!? :D
Sam
Lloyd Harner

Post by Lloyd Harner »

all comes down to how clean your knife is when you put it down. i run my folders no oil and i always tell hunters that buy my fixed blades to clean the knives completely before putting back in the sheath cause once you have dirt/badd stuff in a sheath its there forever (both leather and kydex) while i dont recrement it a folder with dishwasher safe build could be put in there for a deep clean. if i think i might need to use my pocket knife for a food use later i always deep clean it before leaving the house this said if push comes to shove and i just have to use my EDC for food likely it a matter of must be done so dirt be damed
Kerneldrop

Post by Kerneldrop »

taz575 wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2024 6:14 am What length would you be looking for? I make lots of edc stuff 😁
16" cutting edge, of course.
taz575

Post by taz575 »

20220927_174940.jpg
20220927_175400.jpg
20220923_164446.jpg
20220923_182736.jpg
The smaller one is 12" cutting edge and a 2 handed handle. Larger is around a 15-16" blade.
Kerneldrop

Post by Kerneldrop »

Ha, that’s awesome!
Last edited by Kerneldrop on Sun Apr 14, 2024 1:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Kekoa

Post by Kekoa »

Wowzer, yeah for me it would be around 4 inches, ha ha! I really like the look of that smaller machete you have there though. I might need something like that... one day. :)
Kerneldrop

Post by Kerneldrop »

Kekoa wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2024 1:46 pm Wowzer, yeah for me it would be around 4 inches, ha ha!
Definitely gotta go big…you can always use less edge, but you can never use more. Haha