High end Gyuto or Kuritsuke

We encourage you to post your questions about kitchen knives here. We can give you help choosing a knife.
Lukasw

High end Gyuto or Kuritsuke

Post by Lukasw »

Hi,

I am looking for a high end Gyuto or Kiritsuke that is something of a workhorse but also not too thick and heavy. I hope you can help. Thank you in advance!

1)Pro or home cook?
Pro

2)What kind of knife do you want? (Gyuto, Santoku, Petty, Paring, Sujihiki, etc.)
Gyuto, Kiritsuke

3) What size knife do you want?
200-210mm

4)How much do you want to spend?
500-800€

5) Do you prefer all stainless, stainless clad over reactive carbon, or all reactive carbon construction?
Stainless, I really like R2 and V1 steel

6)Do you prefer Western or Japanese handle?
Japanese but open to Western

7)What are your main knife/knives now?
Yu Kurosaki Gyuto, Shiro Kamo Sujihiki and some others

8)Are your knife skills excellent, good, fair?
Excellent to good

9)What cutting techniques do you prefer? Are you a rocker, chopper or push/pull cutter?
Rocker and push/pull.

10)Do you know how to sharpen?
Yes, but improvable. Naniwa Professionals

Greetings
TheLegalRazor

Re: High end Gyuto or Kuritsuke

Post by TheLegalRazor »

You'll be getting many useful suggestions from knowledgeable knife users here. However, you do not have to spend 500-800 euros to get a quality, "high end" gyuto.
Ricardo
Mowgface

Post by Mowgface »

What do you mean when you use the term workhorse? Are you referring to spine thickness? Weight? Durability? Buzzwords get thrown around here all the time, but are not always used to describe the same thing.

So far, 200mm-210mm, Stainless, Japanese handle, non laser, non big-boy (possibly midweight??).

Are there any other specifics that you are interested in? Blade Finish, Custom Handle, specific Wood?, Full Convex, Wide Bevel, S grind etc? Are you trying to improve anything from the Kurosaki, Kamo and "others?"

Most of us here with no real criteria will just list off knives that we have or wish we had that fall within your price point. I am happy to help you spend your money , but need some direction on which way to steer the boat.
ex1580

Post by ex1580 »

What Mowgface said. Maybe a few more details about what you are looking for and how it will be used. I would get a Sukenari if I was spending your money on a high performing knife that would stay sharp all day and not give me trouble. But that's just me. You could get a nice knife for a lot less though.
Last edited by ex1580 on Tue Apr 09, 2024 6:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sam
XexoX

Post by XexoX »

TheLegalRazor wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2024 4:54 pm You'll be getting many useful suggestions from knowledgeable knife users here. However, you do not have to spend 500-800 euros to get a quality, "high end" gyuto.
If the knife is bought from outside the EU, then the VAT (not to mention the shipping, so I won't mention it) could maybe double the price of the knife. I'm just guessing here. I have read it is an expensive, royal pain though.
You can blame Mr. Suburban for my being here. :lol:
The thing about quotes on the internet is you can not confirm their validity. -- Abraham Lincoln
All steels are equal if you can't keep them sharp. -- Jeff B.
Jeff B

Post by Jeff B »

An excellent performing knife for a pro setting in SG2/R2. Seems to check all your boxes. Shiro Kamo SG2 Damascus Gyuto 210mm
If God wanted me to be a vegetarian he wouldn't have made animals taste so good.
Kerneldrop

Post by Kerneldrop »

Jeff B wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2024 7:25 pm An excellent performing knife for a pro setting in SG2/R2. Seems to check all your boxes. Shiro Kamo SG2 Damascus Gyuto 210mm
I immediately thought about this knife....and in stock. Can't beat that.
Kerneldrop

Post by Kerneldrop »

That Kato Ginsan is the look I like.
That would be my choice

What’s the real-world home-use difference in Ginsan and R-2?
taz575

Post by taz575 »

R2 will have a bit better edge holding, but slightly more difficult to sharpen and may not take quite as fine of an edge. G3 may take a touch finer edge, but is a tad tougher, easier to sharpen, with less edge holding.

Home use, R2 will need to be sharpened less, but lets be honest. Most of us sharpen even when it doesn't really need it! Either can be maintained for a while with stropping lightly only. I have a blue #2 gyuto that went 9 months from a fresh from the stones edge to needing to be sharpened on stones (1K and 5K) with only being stropped 3 times in that 9 months (1 micron CBN on Balsa) and it was sticking into my cutting board after stropping. I only had to take it to the stones at 9 months because I acid etched the whole blade and that eroded the edge.
Kerneldrop

Post by Kerneldrop »

taz575 wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2024 7:03 am ...Most of us sharpen even when it doesn't really need it!
I mean half of using a knife in a home setting is purposely dulling the edge so it can be sharpened. haha
Then you have to take chunks out of the edge so you can use the Shapton 110.
jmcnelly85

Post by jmcnelly85 »

If you aren’t the head chef, make sure the head chef won’t take it personally if you brought in a kiritsuke. Most won’t care, but some might let you know that shape is reserved for the top dog.

With your budget I’d get a Sukenari.
Lukasw

Post by Lukasw »

Thank you for your answers so far!

To answer the questions:
Finish: anything but kurouchi or high polish
Grind: s grind or convex. Somerhing with some food release
Headchef? Yes. Therefore Kiritsuke is okay :D
Price might seem very high but the prices in the EU are much higher 🤷🏼‍♂️
Definition workhorse for me: a knife that I don‘t feel anxious about while being used but holds a decent edge.
Weight and handle: rather light, small to medium hands.
Octagonal and wooden please.

Thanks again for the support!