Need help figuring out a main course.

For questions/topics that don't fit into the other, more specific forums.
Robstreperous

Re: Need help figuring out a main course.

Post by Robstreperous »

Bob Z wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 9:15 pm I asked Copilot your question and got this:
Copilot
Certainly! Let’s create a delicious and diverse menu for your progressive dinner party without pork or shellfish. Here are some mouthwatering main course options:

Chicken Cacciatore: Tender chicken thighs sautéed with a medley of vegetables, served over buttery egg noodles. This Italian classic is hearty and flavorful 1.
Vegan Wellington: Impress your guests with a showstopping vegan Wellington. Packed with roasted red peppers, cooked beetroot, and kale, this dish is both elegant and delicious 1.
Whole Braised Chicken in Rich Gravy (Duruj Kura): Originating from the Chittagong district of Bangladesh, this mellow, lightly spiced, and creamy chicken dish is traditionally served to welcome a new groom into the bride’s family 1.
Austrian Wiener Schnitzel: For a meaty main with a difference, try this crispy breaded veal or chicken cutlet. Serve it with buttered potatoes for a quick and satisfying dinner party option 1.
Porchetta with Salsa Verde: Although traditionally made with pork, you can adapt this tender dish by using a boneless lamb shoulder or beef roast. The crisp crackling, roasties, and fresh salsa verde make it a winner 1.
Roast Duck Breast with Figs, Rosemary, and Garlic Fried Potatoes: Sumptuous duck breast served with sweet figs and salty potatoes—a perfect balance of flavors for an elegant dinner 1.
Braised Shoulder of Lamb: Elevate your dinner party with this gourmet choice. Skilfully roast lamb with a whole bottle of red wine for irresistibly tender results 1.
Saffron Risotto: Creamy and luxurious, saffron-infused risotto pairs well with roast chicken or can stand alone as an impressive vegetarian option 1.

While I wouldn't eat lamb nothing there is jumping out at me. Personally I would make skewers of beef and chicken shish ke bobs served on beds of rice. or chicken marsala. With a rice maker (or two) to keep rice warm, you could keep skewers warm in the oven and viola, looks good and tasty and wont break the bank.
For skewers i would do cherry tomatoes (or halves/quarters of roma), red/orange or yellow bell, sweet or red onions and shrooms. glaze with good bbq sauce or teriyaki. Leave skewers intact or guests will pick out what they like. I cook cherry tomatoes by themselves as they dont/wont handle the cook time for the rest of the stuff.
There are some really good ideas in here. Thanks for reminding me to use AI.
ex1580

Post by ex1580 »

When I am cooking for 10+ I try to keep it simple. I get the big salmon fillets and grill them and make a risotto or bean and barley soup to go with. These things are usually available but if I can upgrade one of them based on what is in season I may do that. I just got a notice today about some salmon and halibut. :D

These aren't recipes of course but more of a general thought. I spend a lot more time playing around and trying something new when I'm cooking for the family and it doesn't always go to plan. If you need to impress then keep it simple and stick to what you know. Also, everyone likes fresh bread. Good luck!
Sam
JASinIL2006

Post by JASinIL2006 »

I just made Provençal Short Ribs with Olives and Herbs (https://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food ... rbs-387449) and it was phenomenal. I made it a day ahead and it warmed beautifully.
ex1580

Post by ex1580 »

I don't ever make Beef Bourguignon so I am just thinking out loud here but do you think you could omit the bacon, or replace it with a mushroom sauce? I often cook for the veggie crowd and use a simple cream of mushroom that uses coconut cream instead of dairy cream. If you just need to render the bacon fat to cook it in then you could replace that with a high quality olive oil. It might not be your favorite but if they like beef and not bacon and you know how to cook this in your sleep it could be great for them.
Sam
Robstreperous

Post by Robstreperous »

ex1580 wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2024 9:18 am I don't ever make Beef Bourguignon so I am just thinking out loud here but do you think you could omit the bacon, or replace it with a mushroom sauce? I often cook for the veggie crowd and use a simple cream of mushroom that uses coconut cream instead of dairy cream. If you just need to render the bacon fat to cook it in then you could replace that with a high quality olive oil. It might not be your favorite but if they like beef and not bacon and you know how to cook this in your sleep it could be great for them.
1. Getting the fat elsewhere.
2. Subbing in mushrooms for bacon for that -- I hate using the word umami but that's where I'm heading -- presence.
3. Crisping the mushrooms for the texture the crisped bacon ususally delivers.
4. Adjusting the salt....

Not a bad idea. Thanks.

In fact, somewhere I have a mushrooms bourgignon recipe hanging around....

This might work.
Kerneldrop

Post by Kerneldrop »

I'd rather not eat bacon nor use it as a foundation to flavor layer. Maybe you'll have 12 others with the same preference. :-)
Last edited by Kerneldrop on Tue Mar 19, 2024 11:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
gladius

Post by gladius »

Robstreperous wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2024 9:51 am
ex1580 wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2024 9:18 am I don't ever make Beef Bourguignon so I am just thinking out loud here but do you think you could omit the bacon, or replace it with a mushroom sauce? I often cook for the veggie crowd and use a simple cream of mushroom that uses coconut cream instead of dairy cream. If you just need to render the bacon fat to cook it in then you could replace that with a high quality olive oil. It might not be your favorite but if they like beef and not bacon and you know how to cook this in your sleep it could be great for them.
1. Getting the fat elsewhere.
2. Subbing in mushrooms for bacon for that -- I hate using the word umami but that's where I'm heading -- presence.
3. Crisping the mushrooms for the texture the crisped bacon ususally delivers.
4. Adjusting the salt....

Not a bad idea. Thanks.

In fact, somewhere I have a mushrooms bourgignon recipe hanging around....

This might work.
---

When I look for a recipe for a special occasion, I often look at Martha Stewart. Her and her team have a knack for finding and developing high quality dishes.

This one includes a half pound of mushrooms...substitute more mushrooms and remove the bacon. (I'd add more garlic too!)...
https://www.marthastewart.com/341762/beef-bourguignon

See also https://www.marthastewart.com/336206/boeuf-bourguignon
EucJr

Post by EucJr »

I’d seriously consider a braised corned beef. Now is a good time to get corned beef on sale - it was $3.49/lb locally (Texas) last week and may be less now. On Sunday, we braised one for 4 hours in Riesling and finished it with a honey mustard glaze. It was excellent.
ex1580

Post by ex1580 »

My go to books are by Julia Child and Marcella Hazan. It looks like you could easily throw out the bacon and use a good olive oil and butter (if butter is OK with your guests). There are a bunch of Italian recipes like this.

Onion, carrots, celery, wine, broth. Maybe tomatoes, garlic, and/or peas... Lots of possibilities! According to the book the wine is supposed to be a "sturdy" red wine (Barolo, Piedmontese red, Rhone, or CA Syrah or Zinfandel, or Shiraz from Australia or South Africa). Make sure you taste it a few times! The wine you cook with should also be good in the glass while they eat. :D
Sam
ex1580

Post by ex1580 »

Here is some video inspiration. Turn on subtitles if you don't speak Italian. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cQTSZx8Ic8I
Sam
Bob Z

Post by Bob Z »

This is my fav braise (tri tip). You could get out your large dutch oven or a baking pan covered tightly and make a double batch. have some noodles ready to go. tri tip ready when you come home (takes 2.5 hrs in oven for me) and or small baked potatoes or roasted veggies in oven at the same time.
https://www.cookingchanneltv.com/recipe ... st-2770532
Attachments
stw2.jpg
Kerneldrop

Post by Kerneldrop »

What did you decide on?
Robstreperous

Post by Robstreperous »

Kerneldrop wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 3:51 pm What did you decide on?
Thanks for asking. I'm still working it out.

Someone pointed out to me D'Artignan makes duck bacon that tastes pretty much like bacon. This weekend I'm going to see if my normal stores carry it. (Or can order it). If so I'm heading straight back to beef bourgignon. I'd just need to add a little more fat to the pan after rendering the lardons (duck dons?) since duck's a little leaner than bacon...

I might serve it with a choice noodles and mashed potatoes and make a mushroom bougignon / marsalla on the side. If anybody's vegetarian or observing the kosher rules about not mixing milk and meat then I've got all bases covered.

Long way around to arriving at what I wanted to make all along if it works out. Although without posting this I wonder if I'd have had the inspiration to search for alternate bacons and remember to work out a vegetarian / daire/ meat options...

Thanks!
XexoX

Post by XexoX »

Robstreperous wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 4:09 pm ... or observing the kosher rules about not mixing milk and meat then I've got all bases covered. ...
Thanks!
Please forgive my ignorance, but I thought kosher meant dairy and meat couldn't even be prepared in the same kitchen. :?
You can blame Mr. Suburban for my being here. :lol:
The thing about quotes on the internet is you can not confirm their validity. -- Abraham Lincoln
All steels are equal if you can't keep them sharp. -- Jeff B.
ex1580

Post by ex1580 »

Robstreperous wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 4:09 pm Someone pointed out to me D'Artignan makes duck bacon that tastes pretty much like bacon. This weekend I'm going to see if my normal stores carry it. (Or can order it). If so I'm heading straight back to beef bourgignon. I'd just need to add a little more fat to the pan after rendering the lardons (duck dons?) since duck's a little leaner than bacon...

I might serve it with a choice noodles and mashed potatoes and make a mushroom bougignon / marsalla on the side. If anybody's vegetarian or observing the kosher rules about not mixing milk and meat then I've got all bases covered.

Long way around to arriving at what I wanted to make all along if it works out. Although without posting this I wonder if I'd have had the inspiration to search for alternate bacons and remember to work out a vegetarian / daire/ meat options...

Thanks!
This sounds excellent! Let us know how it goes. :)
Sam
Robstreperous

Post by Robstreperous »

XexoX wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 5:48 pm
Robstreperous wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 4:09 pm ... or observing the kosher rules about not mixing milk and meat then I've got all bases covered. ...
Thanks!
Please forgive my ignorance, but I thought kosher meant dairy and meat couldn't even be prepared in the same kitchen. :?
Like many things different individuals observe differently. Strictly speaking i believe it requires different dishes and utensils and technically I'd need to serve salted meat slaughtered in a ritual manner.

In this particular case I'll be fine with the basic gesture of avoiding pork and giving the option of mixing or not dairy and meat.

Good question though.
Robstreperous

Post by Robstreperous »

Hey thanks Gladius. The middle recipe looks pretty good. I see they're including mushrooms (omitting the bacon of course) which would help give it a nice depth. If things don't work out with the duck bacon I think I may have a go at that one.

And I just had a look at the Julia & Jacaques video. What a beautiful way to serve it. It's got me thinking!
Ambitious_Goo

Post by Ambitious_Goo »

Robstreperous wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 6:33 pm
XexoX wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 5:48 pm
Thanks!
Like many things different individuals observe differently. Strictly speaking i believe it requires different dishes and utensils and technically I'd need to serve salted meat slaughtered in a ritual manner.

In this particular case I'll be fine with the basic gesture of avoiding pork and giving the option of mixing or not dairy and meat.

Good question though.

This is exactly right. Normative halakhah (Jewish law) requires separate dishes, cookware, and prep areas for meat (which for this purpose includes mammals and birds but not fish) and dairy. Foods that are pareve (neither, like fruits and vegetables, eggs, and fish) can swing both ways as it were, though people will often keep separate pareve prep utensils. (Though some materials work differently: glass vessels and utensils only need to be thoroughly cleaned between uses to switch back and forth between meat and dairy, for example).

There are other details that vary according to whose rulings your community considers authoritative, and still other things that fall under the rubric of minhag, or custom (but custom that has strong normative force)—some communities, for example, will only serve fish with dairy meals.

That being said, there are Jews who keep a kosher kitchen at home but will be less stringent eating out. Some will eat only dairy food, or only cold dairy or pareve foods that haven’t been prepared in a kosher kitchen. Others don’t keep kosher in the halakhically normative sense but still avoid pork, shellfish, and/or obvious meat-dairy mixtures. (Me included!)
ex1580

Post by ex1580 »

Ambitious_Goo wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2024 3:21 pm This is exactly right. Normative halakhah (Jewish law) requires separate dishes, cookware, and prep areas for meat (which for this purpose includes mammals and birds but not fish) and dairy. Foods that are pareve (neither, like fruits and vegetables, eggs, and fish) can swing both ways as it were, though people will often keep separate pareve prep utensils. (Though some materials work differently: glass vessels and utensils only need to be thoroughly cleaned between uses to switch back and forth between meat and dairy, for example).

There are other details that vary according to whose rulings your community considers authoritative, and still other things that fall under the rubric of minhag, or custom (but custom that has strong normative force)—some communities, for example, will only serve fish with dairy meals.

That being said, there are Jews who keep a kosher kitchen at home but will be less stringent eating out. Some will eat only dairy food, or only cold dairy or pareve foods that haven’t been prepared in a kosher kitchen. Others don’t keep kosher in the halakhically normative sense but still avoid pork, shellfish, and/or obvious meat-dairy mixtures. (Me included!)
Oh my! So, a fruit plate, quiche, and salmon with rice. This is getting complicated. Maybe you should get takeout, haha.
Sam