Want to get a cast iron pan

For questions/topics that don't fit into the other, more specific forums.
Kekoa

Want to get a cast iron pan

Post by Kekoa »

I am really wanting to try out a cast iron pan in my kitchen so I am looking for suggestions on what to consider getting.

I use 12 in. pans more than any other size, but I'm sure if I should start smaller to see if I like it first, I've never used cast iron before. I don't know what to look for when it comes to cast iron, but I found some pans at a local antique shop for around 35$ a piece. No idea if they are any good but I plan on taking some pictures next time I go.

As for something new though, I don't need anything fancy, but I do appreciate quality and long term value, so it doesn't need to be dirt cheap either. Not sure who uses cast iron but would appreciate any pointers on proper use and care as well as suggestions for what to get.

Oh, and while I'm talking cast iron, I could use suggestions for a Dutch Oven too if anyone has any. My Mom is interested in getting one of those, but neither of us know what to look for.
XexoX

Re: Want to get a cast iron pan

Post by XexoX »

Get this one. You won't be disappointed.

West Japan Tools Carbon Steel Skillet 30cm
You can blame Mr. Suburban for my being here. :lol:
The thing about quotes on the internet is you can not confirm their validity. -- Abraham Lincoln
All steels are equal if you can't keep them sharp. -- Jeff B.
ronnie_suburban

Post by ronnie_suburban »

Given what you've laid out here, if it were me, I'd buy a Lodge and fuggedaboutit. Inexpensive, reliable af and insanely durable.

If you've seen any of his pics on the 'What did you cook today?' thread, when it comes to cast iron, billk1002 is your guy. I'm guessing he'll have more experienced information to share, especially when it comes to seasoning, care and maintenance.
=R=
Half of cooking is thinking about cooking.
stevem627

Post by stevem627 »

I think you will most likely find the cast iron piece at an antique store for the 35 is a great pan if it doesn’t have cracks and is clean.

Post pics or just check YouTube for info on used cast iron pans.
komarov

Post by komarov »

I'm gonna second Lodge. It's cast iron, no need to overthink it.
aporigine

Post by aporigine »

XexoX wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2024 9:58 pm Get this one. You won't be disappointed.

West Japan Tools Carbon Steel Skillet 30cm
I have one, and I love it. I also have a big Wagner cast skillet that I eBayed. The Wagner is twice the weight, and for some things it edges out my WJT pan that cost me four times as much.
“The knife is the most permanent, the most immortal, the most ingenious of all man’s creations.”
- Yevgeny Zamyatin
TheLegalRazor

Post by TheLegalRazor »

Lodge. Their website contains a lot of useful information. I suggest starting with an 8" or 10" skillet to learn with and get used to the weight. A 12" Lodge skillet weighs 7.89 pounds. My wife has difficulty with the weight of larger cast iron cookware.
Last edited by TheLegalRazor on Tue Mar 05, 2024 10:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ricardo
Qapla'

Post by Qapla' »

Kekoa wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2024 9:53 pm I am really wanting to try out a cast iron pan in my kitchen so I am looking for suggestions on what to consider getting.
Bare cast iron, or enameled cast iron?
XexoX

Post by XexoX »

Estate sales are also a great place to find cast iron pans. But watch the prices. Some people place an emotional value to the things in the sale, and some people who set up and run the sales can be way over priced.
The thing about quotes on the internet is you can not confirm their validity. -- Abraham Lincoln
Kerneldrop

Post by Kerneldrop »

I cook a chicken breast on a bare 12” Lodge every day for lunch and have made countless Cajun dishes and breads in a lodge bare Dutch oven. I don’t have enamel. I can take onions to a deeper caramelization in a cast iron.

I’ve cooked on a $260 Smithey and other older smooth cast iron I’ve restored. They are nearly as smooth as stainless…but I’ve noticed zero differences between them and my $30 Lodge. I restored garage sale and antique store cast iron with a sand blaster and propane jet burner. I see folks on Facebook using grinders on newer cast iron to smooth them out but it’s not needed.

Get a chain mill scrubber with it. That’s the easiest way to clean them.

Try the Lodge carbon steel If you don’t want to lug around heavy cast iron. I keep my 12” in the oven so it’s not a big deal for me.

It’s hard to say how big of a Dutch oven y’all need. They get small quickly. I have various sizes and typically only use a 7 quart.

Check out how nice these are…I don’t own one but they are nice to look at: https://smithey.com/
Last edited by Kerneldrop on Wed Mar 06, 2024 6:44 am, edited 4 times in total.
mauichef

Post by mauichef »

Lodge is the simple and cheapest choice. We love our pair. If you are looking for a carbon steel the WJT is a beauty but way more expensive. I find myself using the Lodges when I want a very hot pan for heavy searing. My carbon steel pans, WJT, Mineral B etc. are for more normal use. My brother and sister bought us a 14” cast iron comal which I use more than any pan nowadays. It’s a perfect alternative for a griddle and is so versatile.
ex1580

Post by ex1580 »

I love cooking on cast iron! My first skillet was a #12 Emeril branded skillet that someone gifted me and it was great! I cooked many meals in that skillet but there was a little imperfection on the surface that led me to keep shopping eventually after I learned how to use it.

I've had lodge, they are fine. I would sand down the cooking surface a bit and reseason it if we are talking about the regular line. After that it will be as good as any expensive cast iron skillet out there. I haven't used the Blacklock line.

I have Smithey skillets now and while I do agree that it's expensive it is also an absolute joy to use. I bought them because they are designed to be a modern version of a vintage skillet (old design, modern manufacturing). The food comes out the same I suppose but I use these almost daily and they make me happy. It did take a bit to build up the seasoning but sautéing mushrooms helped.

As others have said, get the chain mail scrubber. Don't forget some good heavy duty pot holders too! A nice metal fish spatula helps scrape it down.

As for the Dutch Oven I recommend enameled cast iron so you don't have to worry about seasoning or odd flavors if you want to cook something that will sit in it for hours. Le Creuset is the way. They often have sales though if you shop around. And outlets.

Remember that patience is your friend! Use more patience, not more heat (medium is high). Start with a hot pan then add a "cold" (room temp) fat and coat the whole cooking surface and sticking shouldn't be an issue. Good luck!
Sam
Kerneldrop

Post by Kerneldrop »

Staub is another premium dutch oven brand.

At work we cook steaks on a Smithey inside a Ooni ~900 degree pizza oven.
It's not a professional kitchen...the office just has an outdoor kitchen and we're boujee
Jeff B

Post by Jeff B »

Lodge baby, love my Lodge. As far as seasoning, just use it and use it a lot.
If God wanted me to be a vegetarian he wouldn't have made animals taste so good.
billk1002

Post by billk1002 »

I cook in cast iron almost daily, this is my favorite 12 pan, it extra heavy duty and a touch wider across the bottom.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001A ... ILUV&psc=1

You absolutely cannot go wrong with a Lodge, I own the 6", 10" and 15" skillets, they rock.
Home cook, addicted to knives, stones, food and new recipes.
Bill
Bob Z

Post by Bob Z »

mauichef wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 6:32 am Lodge is the simple and cheapest choice. We love our pair. If you are looking for a carbon steel the WJT is a beauty but way more expensive. I find myself using the Lodges when I want a very hot pan for heavy searing. My carbon steel pans, WJT, Mineral B etc. are for more normal use. My brother and sister bought us a 14” cast iron comal which I use more than any pan nowadays. It’s a perfect alternative for a griddle and is so versatile.
i second Maui's advice. My lodge does the heavy lifting with steaks and fajitas and even pan pizza, while my Mauviel cooks breakfast, toasted cheese and the like. I too have a comal which is kinda fun to use (and you can use it as a pizza steel!)
Billk1102 wrote: I cook in cast iron almost daily, this is my favorite 12 pan, it extra heavy duty and a touch wider across the bottom.
Bob Z

Post by Bob Z »

mauichef wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 6:32 am Lodge is the simple and cheapest choice. We love our pair. If you are looking for a carbon steel the WJT is a beauty but way more expensive. I find myself using the Lodges when I want a very hot pan for heavy searing. My carbon steel pans, WJT, Mineral B etc. are for more normal use. My brother and sister bought us a 14” cast iron comal which I use more than any pan nowadays. It’s a perfect alternative for a griddle and is so versatile.
i second Maui's advice. My lodge does the heavy lifting with steaks and fajitas and even pan pizza, while my Mauviel cooks breakfast, toasted cheese and the like. I too have a comal which is kinda fun to use (and you can use it as a pizza steel!)
Billk1002 wrote: I cook in cast iron almost daily, this is my favorite 12 pan, it extra heavy duty and a touch wider across the bottom.
This looks like a good solid cost effective choice.
XexoX

Post by XexoX »

Just saw a Lodge #8 at Goowill for $24.99. A newer one.
Kerneldrop

Post by Kerneldrop »

Here's my 12" Lodge beater $25 at Walmart that gets used every day Monday thru Thursday:

Kekoa

Post by Kekoa »

Thanks for all the input, very helpful! Sounds like I'll be going for a Lodge to start, I believe I've seen them before, and if they perform well, the price point sounds wonderful. It sounds like smoothing them out isn't necessary, but if it can be done easily enough I might make a project of it just for fun.