Extensive Review of the Yoshimi Hino White #2 Bunka 170mm

garchtoto

Extensive Review of the Yoshimi Hino White #2 Bunka 170mm

Post by garchtoto »

Brand new before being used
Brand new before being used
Background:

Me: I'm not a professional cook or a trained chef by any means. I'm just a dude who really likes Japanese knives and loves to cook for friends and family. I've been cooking ever since I was in middle school, learning as much as I could from my mom and grandma. On average, I spend about 4-6 hours on the weekend prepping ingredients or making food for the week since my wife and I usually don't have time throughout the week cook everyday. I usually like to push cut, pull cut, with the occasional chopping action from time to time. I am not a big rocker although I like knives to have a bit of belly. For some reason, I don't get along with flat knives. Typical pinch grip. I'm not an expert sharpener but I feel that I am competent to get a really good edge on my knives.
After a few months of using it and with a coffee patina!!
After a few months of using it and with a coffee patina!!
The Knife and Facts: Yoshimi Hino White #2 Bunka 170mm
https://www.chefknivestogo.com/yohiwh2bu17.html

Blacksmith: Yoshimi Kato

Construction: Hammer Forged, San Mai

Edge Steel: White #2

HRC: 61

Cladding: Stainless Steel (edge is exposed)

Finish: Basket Weave

Brand Name: Yoshimi Hino

Handle: Sandalwood D Shape

Ferrule: Black Pakkawood

Edge Grind: Even 50/50 Double Bevel

Engraving: Laser

Weight: 4.6 oz/ 130 g

Blade Length: 173mm

Overall Length: 313 mm

Spine Thickness at Heel: 2.9 mm

Blade Height at Heel: 46.9mm

Initial Thoughts:

This Bunka from Yoshimi Kato is phenomenal! It's very light and nimble yet very precise. The white #2 steel is very reactive and started to patina after one use. It was very sharp out of the box and has held its sharpness even after for a few meal preps. Handle is a D shape handle and feels great in hand. For the price, you are getting a lot of knife. Edges are nicely rounded and the fit and finish is great. The texture on it is very unique and I found that it provided extra texture for a pinch grip. You can see on the spine that the stainless doesn't completely cover the reactive steel so be careful with the spine being exposed to reactive liquids . Yoshimi Kato definitely put out a banger with this knife! Highly recommend it.
That choil!
That choil!
Sharpness baseline:

The initial edge was great. It wasn't the sharpest knife out of the box but it definitely was good enough to go. The edge felt great on the first few items but I can tell that it would need a sharpening session to really bring it out. OOTB: 6/10. White Steel is great to sharpen. After one session of sharpening, it just became a whole different knife. It just flies through veggie prep. Edge retention has been great as well. I usually just hone and strop on leather with no compound for regular maintenance. On re-sharpening, I took it to 5000 on a Shapton Pro.

How does it cut?:

Fantastic! It's a Bunka that is great for push and pull cuts. It's light and nimble. Using it for draw tips has been one of my favorite things with it. It also has a really nice texture that helps with food release and additional grip. I don't think the pattern was intended for this purpose but it definitely helps with food release. Potatoes and squash would just fall of. It was ok with Proteins. Where this really shines are on veggies. This thing just flies through it. Due to the tip, I think you can rock chop a bit if that is your jam, though due to the tip, I'd avoid it. Push and pull cuts really are your best friends here.

Here is a list of items that I was able to test it on and my score:

Raw Chicken Breast: It does glide chicken but I feel like there are other Bunks that I feel excel slightly better for some reason. 7/10

Onions: Cutting onions are just fun with this: 10/10.

Garlic: Same as onions: 9/10.

Tomatoes: Same as onion: 9/10

Potatoes: As mentioned above, the awesome unique texture of the basket weave helps with food not sticking as much: 8/10

Cabbage: Since this knife is really thin and low, it really struggled with a large cabbage. It was possible, but damn...was it scary. 3/10

Squash: Handled it like a champ: 9/10

Mushrooms: didn't stand a chance: 10/10

Mint and Basil: Chiffonade both with ease: 10/10

Comfort under extended use :
I own several knives from Yoshimi Kato. One thing he does very well is the the fit and finish of his knives. They are always excellent. Edges have always been rounded and smooth. Choil is nicely polished and rounded. You can tell that a lot of detail and care are put into his knives. The knife is definitely ergonomic. I've held and own knives that cost more than his knives and aren't at the level of his fit and finish. I can go all day with the knife and not feel tired or discomfort. The handle is unique and I did not have any issues with it. Though, if you are left handed, it could be an issue. Handle quality was great as well!

Durability :

I did not find any chips or microchips with the knife before and after using for a few months. In fact, the knife felt very confident with anything that I was able to throw at (except for that large cabbage). Edge retention was phenomenal. If I felt that the edge life was slowing down, I would just take it to the honing rod and leather strop and it will get disgustingly sharp again. I only had to sharpen this knife once but it was more for me to test how sharp it could get. Factory sharpness was just fine, but it can really get scary sharp. This is my first white paper knife and I am a big fan of the steel now. I never had any issues with the knife rusting, though I always wash and dry when I am not using it. As with carbon knives, it's a good habit to wipe often with wet towel.
Edges are exposed but it's ok!
Edges are exposed but it's ok!
Final Thoughts:

So what do I think? I really, really, really like this knife. The texture and design is great. Fit and Finish is excellent. In fact, if you are on the fence of trying out a carbon knife for the first time, I would highly recommend this. It was in fact my first reactive knife and I think it's a good gateway to carbon knives. I was actually scared of trying a reactive carbon knife based on what I have seen with others and with the rust problems they have. I did however add a coffee patina and it's been holding up well and I think it does add a bit more character. The value you get, is excellent in my opinion based on the quality of knife you are getting and also the performance. It's versatile and I think it could definitely act as a workhorse and compliment a larger knife in your arsenal. It's light and nimble that I feel I could still do small tasks that a Petty can do. A thing to note, the stainless cladding does not cover the spine. Not a big deal but I did not realize it until I did the forced coffee patina.
taz575

Re: Extensive Review of the Yoshimi Hino White #2 Bunka 170mm

Post by taz575 »

Excellent review! I know what you mean about cabbage; with a thin, light knife, it can be a chore! Thin san mai blades are usually easy to bend, so cutting through tall, dense product feels weird in the cut. A nice, stiff mono steel laser feels much nicer and tracks better in the cut IMHO.
garchtoto

Post by garchtoto »

taz575 wrote: Thu Sep 28, 2023 12:22 pm Excellent review! I know what you mean about cabbage; with a thin, light knife, it can be a chore! Thin san mai blades are usually easy to bend, so cutting through tall, dense product feels weird in the cut. A nice, stiff mono steel laser feels much nicer and tracks better in the cut IMHO.
After the cabbage, it really made me consider getting something with more heft. A Matsubara 240mm Gyuto comes to mind.....
taz575

Post by taz575 »

Cabbage is a strange ingredient. A thick blade can wedge in it and a faux kasumi finish can be very sticky unless the finish is smoothed out a bit.

A midweight workhorse or Wide Bevel style blade works quite nicely, or a mono steel laser ish knife. My Tanaka Sekiso 240mm and Richmond AS Laser (Kurosaki) work very well through cabbage. I know Kono Fujiyama's fly thru cabbage without issues too. All of these have a little more heft to them, but are either fully convex or S ground, but still very thin behind the edge and thin shoulders. My 52100 mono steel, laser S grind gyuto I made also does well in cabbage. I tried to mimic the classic Takeda grind/style of blade, but in a stiffer mono steel with a satin finish. It's a 250mm and pretty tall with a heavier handle, so it has some good weight despite being a thin laser blade.

Happy shopping! LOL
TheLegalRazor

Post by TheLegalRazor »

Thank you for the thorough review. I have the 240mm version of this knife and it's a favorite. The 240mm does fine with average size cabbage.

20230928_155835.jpg
Ricardo
garchtoto

Post by garchtoto »

taz575 wrote: Thu Sep 28, 2023 2:20 pm Cabbage is a strange ingredient. A thick blade can wedge in it and a faux kasumi finish can be very sticky unless the finish is smoothed out a bit.

A midweight workhorse or Wide Bevel style blade works quite nicely, or a mono steel laser ish knife. My Tanaka Sekiso 240mm and Richmond AS Laser (Kurosaki) work very well through cabbage. I know Kono Fujiyama's fly thru cabbage without issues too. All of these have a little more heft to them, but are either fully convex or S ground, but still very thin behind the edge and thin shoulders. My 52100 mono steel, laser S grind gyuto I made also does well in cabbage. I tried to mimic the classic Takeda grind/style of blade, but in a stiffer mono steel with a satin finish. It's a 250mm and pretty tall with a heavier handle, so it has some good weight despite being a thin laser blade.

Happy shopping! LOL
Thanks!! I appreciate your input!!
garchtoto

Post by garchtoto »

TheLegalRazor wrote: Thu Sep 28, 2023 3:33 pm Thank you for the thorough review. I have the 240mm version of this knife and it's a favorite. The 240mm does fine with average size cabbage.

20230928_155835.jpg
Love to see it!! I plan on doing more reviews of other knives. I realized that it's a good way for me to really think how the knife performs rather than just slicing away for the meal I'm making.
billk1002

Post by billk1002 »

What an awesome review, than you for taking the time to type all of that up.
I have owned the 235 Kiritsuke going on 1.5 years and it has been an incredible knife to own and use, absolutely no issues, just pure enjoyment.
IMG_9863.JPG
Home cook, addicted to knives, stones, food and new recipes.
Bill
garchtoto

Post by garchtoto »

billk1002 wrote: Thu Sep 28, 2023 5:24 pm What an awesome review, than you for taking the time to type all of that up.
I have owned the 235 Kiritsuke going on 1.5 years and it has been an incredible knife to own and use, absolutely no issues, just pure enjoyment.
IMG_9863.JPG
No problem!

It definitely is an awesome line. I forgot to mention that I had the recent chance to meet both Kato-san and Kurosaki-san and was able to get my Hino Bunka custom engraved by one of Kurosaki's apprentice. Also, signatures and photos by both of them.
PXL_20230909_181844452_reduced.jpg
PXL_20230909_051911911.jpg