Unique Natural Stones

If you have questions about sharpening products, steels or techniques post them here.
ex1580

Unique Natural Stones

Post by ex1580 »

This post is not really seeking advice but more just starting a conversation. I seem to have tripped and fallen down a hole so grab your headlamp and rope and come join me, haha. Have any of you used natural stones from regions that are not Japan, Arkansas, or Belgium?

There are so many interesting stones to make something sharp with! I feel like each region has it's way of doing things, and thanks to the internet anyone can get stones from seemingly anywhere for a price. I recall my grandfather pulling a stone out of a creek and sharpening his knife on it. I do things a bit differently.

I grew up using Arkansas stones and still have the same kit I used back then, although I prefer water stones these days because they are less messy. I've looked at Belgian stones but never did buy one. Japanese stones are very popular and I would like to think it's because they have been studied more and it's less of a crap shoot what you are getting when you buy one (although I suppose it also depends on where you buy one). I recently came across a French company called 1Stone which makes some interesting looking slate stones. Neat! Then there is the link down below with the pretty pictures...

A lot of natural stones are costly, messy, and/or don't work well for the things I sharpen (or as well as the stones I have anyway) so I do most of my sharpening on synthetic stones. But, there is something about a good natural stone that makes me want to use it. If you've found a good one I would like to hear about it below.

This website has pretty pictures.
Sam
ex1580

Re: Unique Natural Stones

Post by ex1580 »

Here is a picture of the Arkansas stones I used as a kid. I don't have any stones outside of Japan or Arkansas...yet. :D
Attachments
AR_Stone_Set-min.jpg
Sam
jknife

Post by jknife »

Now that is a cool stone holder. I’m assuming three different grits can be rotated?
The pig is a magical animal. It takes vegetables and turns them into bacon.
ex1580

Post by ex1580 »

jknife wrote: Thu Sep 07, 2023 1:52 pm Now that is a cool stone holder. I’m assuming three different grits can be rotated?
Yes sir! There are no marking whatsoever but my understanding is that its soft, medium, and hard stones. The part the stones are attached to is a big triangle that you just pick up and rotate. The round depression on the end is for your bottle of honing oil.
Sam
Radar53

Post by Radar53 »

ex1580 wrote: Thu Sep 07, 2023 9:10 am
This website has pretty pictures.
Thanks for posting the above link ~ I found that site useful & interesting
Cheers Grant

Just because you're not paranoid doesn't mean they're not going to get you!!
trancher

Post by trancher »

Here is the La Lune stone you were referencing.

Of course, its French and a very high grit finisher (10K+) that I use from time to time for straight razors. I've only done two, I think, razors on this stone the first being a touch up to the TI you see here in the picture. The other was a Velvo (SR Droescher) which got a full progression and was a wonderful shave off of the La Lune (slurry, 1/2 slurry, water and a few drops of dish soap).

Holding a relic from the earth in these natural stones really is thrilling. I'm intrigued with the variety they can display from stone to stone, and knowing that what I'm holding is outright unique, not another one is exactly like it - reminds me of snow flakes. And to think, like gems, these are buried in the earth almost away from time itself, brought to light for us to use and enjoy, well its simply fascinating to me.

Like your Ark stone and holder! I've never used one. I'm sure you have lots of memories on that rig there and maybe some scars, too.? :D
La Lune w TI.jpg
ex1580

Post by ex1580 »

trancher wrote: Thu Sep 07, 2023 6:17 pm Like your Ark stone and holder! I've never used one. I'm sure you have lots of memories on that rig there and maybe some scars, too.? :D
Definitely some Band-Aids! I was a teenager and in the days before the internet we would sharpen the knives and clean the guns in the winter when we were bored. :D
Sam
Kekoa

Post by Kekoa »

I live in Arkansas, but have never tried an Arkansas stone. I might have to get one just for fun.
trancher

Post by trancher »

Kekoa wrote: Fri Sep 08, 2023 2:29 pm I live in Arkansas, but have never tried an Arkansas stone. I might have to get one just for fun.
If you're around the Ouachita Mountains where they mine these stones, it would be a cool day trip to see a quarry and check out their inventory of Ark (novaculite) stones. We talk about silica content in wood quickly dulling knives, and interestingly enough these stones are composed mainly of silica (99%) giving them their hard abrasive properties. Indians also used this stone for tools and arrowheads.

Looks like there are about 4 types of Arkansas stones, according to Dan's Whetstone.
-Soft Arkansas (400-600 grit)
-Hard Arkansas (600-800 grit)
-Translucent (1200+ grit)
-Black Arkansas (1200+ grit what they call ultra fine)

The Quartz Capital of the World is around Mount Ida, Arkansas if you're a rock hound.
ex1580

Post by ex1580 »

Looking at Dan's Whetstones, that EZ Hone is pretty slick! https://danswhetstone.com/product/dans-ez-hone/
Sam
trancher

Post by trancher »

ex1580 wrote: Sat Sep 09, 2023 12:44 pm Looking at Dan's Whetstones, that EZ Hone is pretty slick! https://danswhetstone.com/product/dans-ez-hone/
Yeah, that is pretty slick. I wish there were a couple more product photos, though. I also wonder if you can remove one of the wooden ends and add something that's a lower profile to allow for leading edge strokes over the stones length on that end.

And that's a good way to get into and try a few different little ark stones.
ex1580

Post by ex1580 »

I sent them a message and asked about the angle and if it would be in the way. I am guessing that it's far enough out and small enough where it probably isn't an issue. These natural stones are killing me, haha. First I said no more Arkansas stones (and spent waaaaay more money on synthetic Japanese stones), then I said I wouldn't buy a Jnat... I need a bigger work area, and a business that will pay for this hobby.
Sam
taz575

Post by taz575 »

I used to have some Arkansas stones, but they broke or got lost over the years. They worked well, but that was on softer, lesser quality knives, or simple carbon steels. I wouldn't want to try them on something like S90V! I have seen some pendant sharpening stones that look cool, may have to try some of these out!
trancher

Post by trancher »

taz575 wrote: Sun Sep 10, 2023 9:23 am I used to have some Arkansas stones, but they broke or got lost over the years. They worked well, but that was on softer, lesser quality knives, or simple carbon steels. I wouldn't want to try them on something like S90V! I have seen some pendant sharpening stones that look cool, may have to try some of these out!
I've read that natural stones, at least in some use cases (steel type?), leave a longer lasting edge than roughly the same grit of synthetic stones. Have you found this to be the case, Taz?
taz575

Post by taz575 »

I think that is because of the toothiness to the edge. An 8K polished edge will lose the bite quicker than the 8K toothier edge. The stones naturally have some variation to the grit in them. Also, they make more mud, which seems to help reduce/lessen the burr formed, too.
ex1580

Post by ex1580 »

ex1580 wrote: Sat Sep 09, 2023 1:22 pm I sent them a message and asked about the angle and if it would be in the way. I am guessing that it's far enough out and small enough where it probably isn't an issue.
I have received an answer! The angle of the angle guide is 22.5 degrees because that is "a standard angle most knives are sharpened". They did go on to explain that it should be no problem to use it without using the guide.
Sam
gladius

Post by gladius »

I have and use Belgium stones. The blue stone << I use the most. It quickly produces a practical sharp polished edge for kitchen tasks.
ex1580

Post by ex1580 »

gladius wrote: Thu Sep 14, 2023 10:21 am I have and use Belgium stones. The blue stone << I use the most. It quickly produces a practical sharp polished edge for kitchen tasks.
I hear the garnets in the stone prevent burr formation too. I am interested in this and have been looking at Coticules for a while for straight razors. One of these days I am going to get one, haha.
Sam
trancher

Post by trancher »

gladius wrote: Thu Sep 14, 2023 10:21 am I have and use Belgium stones. The blue stone << I use the most. It quickly produces a practical sharp polished edge for kitchen tasks.
What size did you get Gladius and are you happy with it? Would you go bigger/smaller?
ex1580 wrote: Thu Sep 14, 2023 11:14 am I hear the garnets in the stone prevent burr formation too. I am interested in this and have been looking at Coticules for a while for straight razors. One of these days I am going to get one, haha.
Ditto. BBW is next on my list. I really want to try it as a finisher before stropping on leather for my jknives.
gladius

Post by gladius »

trancher wrote: Fri Sep 15, 2023 10:30 am What size did you get Gladius and are you happy with it? Would you go bigger/smaller?
---
I bought the large, similar in size to my other synthetics though any of them will work. Buy the largest one you can get. I am very happy with it. I occasionally use the Coticles on knives that can benefit from a very fine edge up to 1 micron though I mostly use them on my straight razors.