Belt sander advice

If you have questions about sharpening products, steels or techniques post them here.
Bob Z

Belt sander advice

Post by Bob Z »

I want to play with a few knives especially some lower cost Daovua and think a belt sander is the way to go to do some thinning. But so many types and varieties.
Anyone have some good recommendations for lets say under $200? Not sure i need a large one would rather have a smaller one and buy more belts if that makes sense.
Bensbites

Re: Belt sander advice

Post by Bensbites »

Rikon makes a 1x30 with variable speeds. I don’t think those have enough power to make ceramic belts with the extra $$$. Try red label abrasive AO belts.
Bob Z

Post by Bob Z »

Bensbites wrote: Wed Dec 07, 2022 8:13 pm Rikon makes a 1x30 with variable speeds. I don’t think those have enough power to make ceramic belts with the extra $$$. Try red label abrasive AO belts.
Need some links for what you are talking about, not sure what you mean by not enough power for ceramic belts etc.
Bensbites

Post by Bensbites »

Rikon 50-161VS Power Tools 1 x 30 Inch Belt, 6 Inch Disc Variable Speed Sander https://a.co/d/hFNBgIm

Ceramic belts are the gold standard for knife makers. The ceramic media fractures with use revealing fresh edges. Without enough pressure the ceramic glazes over instead of fracturing.

You can try.

Red Label Abrasives 1 X 30 Inch Sanding Belts - Industrial Grade Silicon Carbide (Choose a Grit) - 12 PACK - For Knife Sharpening and Metalworking (Fine Grit Assortment) https://a.co/d/cBJdcbn

Or.

Red Label Abrasives 1 X 30 Inch Knife Sharpening Sanding Belts - Premium Ceramic - Coarse Grits - 6 Pack Assortment https://a.co/d/1NUFuj2

Or many others.

Dip your blade often to avoid overheating.
Olivero

Post by Olivero »

Hello and thank you for the sharing and the links. It helps me a lot too.
Click here to see my website : AhentaiTV
Drewski

Post by Drewski »

Hey Bob, did you get this sander? I'm thinking about it as well.
Jeff B

Post by Jeff B »

You guys even have my interests peaked...
If God wanted me to be a vegetarian he wouldn't have made animals taste so good.
Drewski

Post by Drewski »

Well, my Rikon is arriving in 2 weeks, along with a bunch of Red Label ceramic belts (which were cheaper via the Red Label website rather than Amazon, btw). Very excited to not spend so much time on repairs.
XexoX

Post by XexoX »

Drewski wrote: Sat Feb 25, 2023 6:21 pm(which were cheaper via the Red Label website rather than Amazon, btw). Very excited to not spend so much time on repairs.
Just wow. I like to buy directly from the vendor/manufacturer, but usually it is cheaper on Amazon. Especially when you throw in shipping.

Post some picture of the new sander, when you get it. Action shots are always appreciated too. :mrgreen:
You can blame Mr. Suburban for my being here. :lol:
The thing about quotes on the internet is you can not confirm their validity. -- Abraham Lincoln
All steels are equal if you can't keep them sharp. -- Jeff B.
mike59

Post by mike59 »

I went down the belt sander road and have played with it a bit for sharpening but mostly other things. I bought a Kalamzoo 1x42 and if I could have found one I would have preferred a Kiel 1x42. Reason for these ... they run slower and hence don't generate as much heat (see below) and quality wise are a step up but you pay for that step up. I also use mine for a variety of wood things and once you have one you'll find other things to do with it.

Re the Rikon - there's a guy named Cliff Curry who sharpens for a living and is all about the belt sanders. He has a ton of videos out there and you can really learn a lot from them. He specifically got a Rikon variable speed and did a video or 3 with it. Also other 1x30 sanders like the harbor freight and has done some mods to make them better.

Be careful of heat. Keep a jug of water by your side and when the knife start to heat up dunk it. If it gets to hot it will ruin the temper/heat treat. When you get really good you can "supposedly" be on and off the belt fast enough to not heat it ... or at least not damage it. The belt sander haters will tell you that as soon as you touch it you've ruined it, the belt sander lovers will say no damage as long as you're aware.

Zirconia belts are a step up from the standard AlOx and SiC belts ... supposed to run cooler and last longer also. I grabbed a couple since price difference wasn't great and don't have a lot of experience to compare them against. I do know that if holding on the steel to long they heat generation is noticable compared to .... read on ...

Cubitron and Trizact belts are another step up from Zirconia and run even cooler and last longer. I recently decided to try some and my experience shows this to be true ... but it's very little experience. Google is you're friend for the technology - similar to the ceramics tech/facturing mentioned above. They are more expensive but also supposed to last longer and to be a win at the end of the day. I've noticed in the little playing around that I've done that they do seem to fare better than SiC, AlOx, and Zirconia belts but very little experience.

You can also get ScotchBrite surface conditioning belts and other vendoes just call their own brands "suface conditioning belts" which are awesome for saving a bunch of sanding to get a satin finish. I've recently done this on a couple of play knives that I got just to learn on that were pretty scratched up, rusted, ... etc originally. Several youtube videos out there about them.

Many sources out there for belts ... Cliff Curry who I mentioned above is where I got my ScotchBrite, cubitron, and trizact belts to try. The 1x42 that I have is not as popular as the 1x30 or 2x72 and he had everything I wanted and reasonably priced so I saved on the shipping. I also learned a lot from his videos about belt sanders and sanding so was happy to give back.

Most important ... remember to be aware of the heat ... water is your friend ... especially if you're going to be thinning since I expect that will take a lot of contact over a significant amount of time. Not sure I'd go there for that reason but research it and talk to some of the knife makers on the boards as they'd know best.

Hope this is helpful ... YMMV
Romanf

Post by Romanf »

Great info….to add to it, Prosharpeningsupply.com, also provides leather honing belts for belt sanders, small and large. Great company to deal with, and prices are very reasonable. The leather belts go on easily, add a little paste, and you can get some incredible sharp edges.

They also offer belts in very fine grits, I got a 2000 grit belt that works wonders.

I have the Rikon 1x30 and an older Delta, that still runs great.
taz575

Post by taz575 »

I got a cheap leather belt on amazon for my 1x30 and it was so loose it wouldn't work. Some belts in a 1x30 sharpening kit I got years ago were stupid tight, some were loose. Look at the reviews for the belts to make sure they are sized properly!

I thin and grind knives already hardened on the belt sander all of the time, but have a variable speed 2x72 and 2 hp motor. Thinning isn't bad at the coarser belts at faster speeds because the metal is removed quickly. When you get past 80 or 120, you gotta watch the heat more, especially as you get thinner to the edge. Also, when the belt splice on thinner/finer grit belts goes over the platen, you get a bump. I use a leather or hard felt platen face to help with this so I can get a nice, clean satin 400 or finer grit finish off the belt sander. Scotchbrite/non woven belts help blend a finish and have some cushion to them, so no splice bump and no need for a soft platen. Compact Grain abrasive AO belts give a much finer finish to a blade than traditional AO belts; the grit structure is different and gives a much nicer finish! Also, they tend to be thicker and less belt splice bump. Most fine AO belts are thin and flexible and the splice bump is really bad. Norax Ceramics and Trizact Gators and Ceramics are thick belts, even at high grits.
Lloyd Harner

Post by Lloyd Harner »

when i started making i had one of those 4x36 grinders upgraded to a 1x42 (supergrit carries lots of belt options) made more then a few kitchen knives from scratch with that old delta grinder. stumbled onto a KMG grinder with a VFD used and never looked back. ooo and so far as supergrit if you dont see it on the website take a shot and call often they dont have everything up to date. im lucky i can take a 30 min drive right to the store
mike59

Post by mike59 »

Romanf wrote: Fri May 19, 2023 3:26 pm Great info….to add to it, Prosharpeningsupply.com, also provides leather honing belts for belt sanders, small and large. Great company to deal with, and prices are very reasonable. The leather belts go on easily, add a little paste, and you can get some incredible sharp edges.

They also offer belts in very fine grits, I got a 2000 grit belt that works wonders.

I have the Rikon 1x30 and an older Delta, that still runs great.
Since my last post I got a leather belt to use on some super cheap practice knives where burr removal is next to impossible. I got the 1x42 Super Strop leather belt with white compound from Prosharpeningsupply.com but on Amazon and have nothing but good to say. Re belt inconsistencies - these guys offer satisfaction guaranteed and know that leather can be variable and as such offer replacement or refund. Can't beat that. I've included it below. Have not had to use it since my belt is fine. Also, they come with compound - I'm using the white compound vs. green - keep that in mind if you get one as they offer both with their belts and you can choose which you want. Or, use any other compound/dressing you like ... or none - whatever floats your boat.

Re tight belts - known and expected to stretch a little with some use. Do not leave the leather belt on all the time - put it on, use it, take it off and from all I've heard barring a defect of some sort life expectancy is high.

Have not tried their other belts - I'm a fan of Cubitron and Trizact at this point but many other good choices to be had.

-----

Prosharpeningsupply.com Super Strop leather belt guarantee follows - from their website

SUPER STROP Premium Leather Honing Belts are guaranteed against manufacturer defects, material defects & User Error. If your Leather Honing Belt overstretches, won't track straight, breaks or you accidentally or purposely cut the belt, we'll send an immediate replacement or give you a full refund. Contact Us!! Leather is a natural product and can be unpredictable to work with, therefore we guarantee our leather honing belts from any imaginable defect.
Kerneldrop

Post by Kerneldrop »

The 1x30 DC sewing machine motor belt sanders are fantastic. They can be ordered off eBay. With the variable control you can dial the speed down to 500sfm. There’s 2 main models: 1 model is a smaller packaged belt sander, and the other model has a contact wheel making it look like a 2x72” belt grinder.

If I was buying one today it would be one of the 550w 1x30” belt sanders off eBay. They run just as smooth as Viel and Kalamazoo but can go much much slower.

Otherwise the Rikon variable speed is good. I use one turned around edge trailing. I never got good results edge leading
Byphy

Post by Byphy »

I've had success with a 3x18 handheld sander with variable speed, clamped upside down on a workbench. Mimics a stone. Down side is its very loud. I started w a 1x30 but never enjoyed it. I still have leftover cheap 1x30 belts from Amazon. Whoever is playing w a 1x30 or is thinking about it PM me, I'll send the belts to you, just cover shipping.
taz575

Post by taz575 »

I wanted to follow up with this topic! I found someone on a knifemaking group that has one of these "1x30 variable speed, 550W" belt sanders!! He has shaped over 120 wood handles on it, as well as working wood and kydex, plus sharpening. He usually runs it at 800 rpm or slower and said that it is plenty powerful and doesn't bog down with a lot of pressure. For $400 to do powered sharpening, clean up handles, etc, it may not be a bad deal!
1x30.JPG
Kerneldrop

Post by Kerneldrop »

taz575 wrote: Thu Jul 13, 2023 9:41 am For $400 to do powered sharpening, clean up handles, etc, it may not be a bad deal!
There's 2 versions, too. One has a usable contact wheel like a 2x72" grinder. It's $100 more. Same sewing machine motor.
Those motors are re-purposed sewing machine motors.
Lloyd Harner

Post by Lloyd Harner »

oooo i want one for mobal sharpening but i want it to take dewalt 20v packs
taz575

Post by taz575 »

The one I saw had a contact wheel and the flat platen attachment too? They are like $400 shipped or so. I wonder of it can be adapted to run off of battery packs?