set to start sharpening .... for a final barbershop

If you have questions about sharpening products, steels or techniques post them here.
camilorosso

set to start sharpening .... for a final barbershop

Post by camilorosso »

I am starting in the world of sharpening, and I have some cheap Amazon stones that come in 1000, 2000, 6000 and 1000, which have given me a decent edge.

I'm not a professional chef, but I like hard carbon Japanese knives.

I'm thinking of buying a set of stones that last a long time, the idea is not to fill myself with too many stones, for now I was thinking about the 8k and 16k shapton glass, and the ones I have to correct and start sharpening, ending up with these 2. as you can see my choice? so I have read the shapton glass work very well with hard metals
Ourorboros

Re: set to start sharpening .... for a final barbershop

Post by Ourorboros »

Most people would find the 16K Shapton Glass to be much finer than needed.
Also a 6K and 8K aren't really that different. Depends on brand, not all work on the exact same scale.

I think you'd be better off with a 320 and quality stones.
Radar53

Post by Radar53 »

Ourorboros wrote: Thu Sep 22, 2022 8:29 pm Most people would find the 16K Shapton Glass to be much finer than needed.
Also a 6K and 8K aren't really that different. Depends on brand, not all work on the exact same scale.

I think you'd be better off with a 320 and quality stones.
This is good advice and would be my thoughts as well. You want your coarse stones to really up to the job because they are for removing steel for repairs or for forming your initial edges. That is they do the heavy lifting right up front. After that the following stones really only refine an edge that you've already formed and hopefully got some decent sort of edge already. In my experience I've successfully used fine, non-premium stones to dress up an edge that I've created using a good quality, coarse stone.

So initally as in the post above, I'd recommend building at the coarse end & see what your existing stones can achieve in refining that.

HTH
Cheers Grant

Just because you're not paranoid doesn't mean they're not going to get you!!
gladius

Post by gladius »

Welcome to the forum!

Consider this set: Shapton Glass 4pc Set 500, 1k, 4k, 8k <<
or the equivalents (320, 1000, 2000, 8000) of the Shapton Pro line <<. These are top quality.
arthurfowler

Post by arthurfowler »

I like the glass stones very much. An absolute +1 on starting at the coarse end. I found the thought of coarse stones quite daunting at 1st but I wouldn’t be without them now. When I have sharpened friends knives that are completely blunt, my 120 SG has been a god send. I haven’t used the 320 but it appears to get good reviews, I have the 120, 220 and 500 at the coarse end, then 1000, 2000, 4000 and 6000. if I wanted to limit my choice to 3 stones, I would get the 320, 1000 and 4000. It’s always good to have something to flatten your stones as well.
Lloyd Harner

Post by Lloyd Harner »

anything lower then 1200 grit for me is DMT hones or grinder belts. now mind you most of my honing with wet stones is on razors or single bevels. i like my nortron 4/8K combo stone then the cheap china 12K i do have a shapton 16K but hardly use if as the steels i use for razors seem far too aggressive on the face at that grit with double bevels that i make i sharpen on the grinder less im on the road and then use my 600/1200 DMT to hand sharpen to save me a trip to the shop and back to the location