Lurkers say hello!

For questions/topics that don't fit into the other, more specific forums.
ChefKnivesToGo
Site Admin

Lurkers say hello!

Post by ChefKnivesToGo »

I see in our stats, so many people that read our forum but don’t ever post. Please consider posting a question or a comment or just say hello and tell us where you’re from. We have a low drama forum and we welcome newcomers. :)
Mark Richmond
Co-Owner Chefknivestogo
https://www.chefknivestogo.com/newarrivals.html
Bensbites

Re: Lurkers say hello!

Post by Bensbites »

I don’t post as often as I once did. Am I a lurker?
acaptainn

Post by acaptainn »

I am the Lurker, I come here most days for the past years but probably have less than 6 posts. Sorry.
Been wanting a Takeda NAS and was offered one on another forum.
But $500.00, seemed excessive to me.
trancher

Post by trancher »

acaptainn wrote: Wed Aug 24, 2022 1:15 pm Been wanting a Takeda NAS and was offered one on another forum.
But $500.00, seemed excessive to me.
I know what you mean. But the funny thing about this rabbit hole is the deeper you fall, the less that kind of pricing bothers you (me).

My first purchase was a gyuto under $100 8 years ago, and I thought that was steep. As I learned about quality, features, grinds, steels and food release, I found that for the quality of what I was getting, the higher prices were usually justified.

Go with your gut for now, and enjoy the journey.

8-) 8-) 8-)
cprains1

Post by cprains1 »

I'm also one of the lurkers. I've been too afraid of showing my ignorance to really post anything on the forums, even though I've been around for better than a decade. If there's one thing I've learned about knife people on knife forums, it's that we tend toward the drama Mark mentioned, and we love to show up the ignorance/mistaken opinions of other self-purported knife people. I see all too frequently on other boards valuable and well thought out posts by members who now display the "banned" tag. It's sad. This is why I keep my mouth shut at most knife venues I visit. I only post here because the drama has been lower on these boards than anywhere else. My hat is off to the mods. Thank you for making me feel welcome.
Altadan

Post by Altadan »

Bensbites wrote: Wed Aug 24, 2022 9:03 am I don’t post as often as I once did. Am I a lurker?
For sure yes. No?
That makes two of us ;)
“If we conquer our passions it is more from their weakness than from our strength.”
― François de La Rochefoucauld
trfrttf12

Post by trfrttf12 »

I’m probably considered a lurker too with just under 20 posts. However I check in daily on the forum and have really enjoyed learning about and adding to my knife collection. I really enjoy the “what did you cook today” topic. Additionally and most importantly since I joined this forum in 2020 I have used information and discussions on the sharpening forum to buy stones and I can happily say that I’m mostly happy with the edges I can put on my knives (although not as impressive as the ones from Mark on my first few purchases from the site). Thanks to all for this friendly, informative forum!
acaptainn

Post by acaptainn »

My Shiro Kamo r2 gyuto is the only "good" knife I own and has done a fantastic job for me.
But but but, I want a Takeda ! At that price I will wait.

Maybe Mark will get more in ?
Jeff B

Post by Jeff B »

cprains1 wrote: Thu Aug 25, 2022 12:42 am ...I've been too afraid of showing my ignorance to really post anything on the forums, even though I've been around for better than a decade...
Never be afraid of showing your ignorance around here. I show mine a lot as a badge of honor! :) :ugeek:
If God wanted me to be a vegetarian he wouldn't have made animals taste so good.
ronnie_suburban

Post by ronnie_suburban »

Jeff B wrote: Thu Aug 25, 2022 2:20 pm
cprains1 wrote: Thu Aug 25, 2022 12:42 am ...I've been too afraid of showing my ignorance to really post anything on the forums, even though I've been around for better than a decade...
Never be afraid of showing your ignorance around here. I show mine a lot as a badge of honor! :) :ugeek:
Absolutely. If I haven't done 2 stupid things in public on any given day, I haven't fulfilled my full potential in life! :lol:
=R=
Half of cooking is thinking about cooking.
RickH

Post by RickH »

I, too, qualify as a certified lurker! Visit this site several times a day. I have learned so much from y’all since falling down the proverbial rabbit hole! I thank each and every one of you for so generously sharing your wealth of knowledge and in such a kind manner. Love all things CKTG and have purchased several knives from them over the past year. Thanks Mark and Susan and to all in this community.

Rick
trancher

Post by trancher »

RickH wrote: Thu Aug 25, 2022 3:35 pm I, too, qualify as a certified lurker! Visit this site several times a day. I have learned so much from y’all since falling down the proverbial rabbit hole! I thank each and every one of you for so generously sharing your wealth of knowledge and in such a kind manner. Love all things CKTG and have purchased several knives from them over the past year. Thanks Mark and Susan and to all in this community.

Rick
Welcome to our forum, RickH!

Thank you for all of the kind words.
STPepper9

Post by STPepper9 »

Hi everyone,
I've been lurking a lot lately, life has been busy.
I try to keep up but I'm sure there's a ton I miss.
Altadan

Post by Altadan »

STPepper9 wrote: Fri Aug 26, 2022 12:39 am Hi everyone,
I've been lurking a lot lately, life has been busy.
I try to keep up but I'm sure there's a ton I miss.
+1 on that, for sure
“If we conquer our passions it is more from their weakness than from our strength.”
― François de La Rochefoucauld
FisherMAn1298

Post by FisherMAn1298 »

cprains1 wrote: Thu Aug 25, 2022 12:42 am I'm also one of the lurkers. I've been too afraid of showing my ignorance to really post anything on the forums, even though I've been around for better than a decade. If there's one thing I've learned about knife people on knife forums, it's that we tend toward the drama Mark mentioned, and we love to show up the ignorance/mistaken opinions of other self-purported knife people. I see all too frequently on other boards valuable and well thought out posts by members who now display the "banned" tag. It's sad. This is why I keep my mouth shut at most knife venues I visit. I only post here because the drama has been lower on these boards than anywhere else. My hat is off to the mods. Thank you for making me feel welcome.
I came here November 9,2020. I was pestering Mark with so many questions he pointed me here. I've found so many people wanting to help, share some humor, what they bought and what they want. It's all been great! Back then The Late Great Ken Schwartz was around and you could talk with him on the phone and get the best products and a quick education too! God Bless Him! I wish everyone sitting there reading and wanting to jump in would please do so. It's rare anyone is given a hard time here, the few times I saw this happen a half dozen or more vets would jump in and defend the newcombers and not allow disrespect to rule the day. There's alot of respect show on this forum, I enjoy it, treasure it and defend it most of all! So PLEASE! don't observe, participate! You'll be glad you did. You are all welcome here!
In the immortal words of Ken Schwartz-"Master The 1K."
Radar53

Post by Radar53 »

cprains1 wrote: Thu Aug 25, 2022 12:42 am I'm also one of the lurkers. I've been too afraid of showing my ignorance to really post anything on the forums, even though I've been around for better than a decade. If there's one thing I've learned about knife people on knife forums, it's that we tend toward the drama Mark mentioned, and we love to show up the ignorance/mistaken opinions of other self-purported knife people. I see all too frequently on other boards valuable and well thought out posts by members who now display the "banned" tag. It's sad. This is why I keep my mouth shut at most knife venues I visit. I only post here because the drama has been lower on these boards than anywhere else. My hat is off to the mods. Thank you for making me feel welcome.
We've all been there in some shape or form. As others have said, this forum is based on helping others get into the rabbit hole most of us have gone down. Nothing like "misery loves company" :lol: :lol: :lol: The aim of members, who are more experienced, is to share what they've learnt so that others can navigate their knife / sharpening journey more quickly. I really hate the forums where the responses are hyper critical and / or mean, so this is the ONLY forum I belong to.

If there's one thing I've learned here it's that there in no single correct answer to pretty much anything and so if your contribution is a bit left field, it can trigger & invite a whole lot of differing responses that can really become something of a bible to the members as a whole. So take a deep breath and dive in, because your input will be welcomed and respected.
Cheers Grant

Just because you're not paranoid doesn't mean they're not going to get you!!
easilver

Post by easilver »

Been off on other interests, but am back an lurking also. Still a great forum with a good "tone". Thanks a Mark and all y'all.
Ed in L.A.
FisherMAn1298

Post by FisherMAn1298 »

Radar53 wrote: Tue Sep 06, 2022 7:01 pm
We've all been there in some shape or form. As others have said, this forum is based on helping others get into the rabbit hole most of us have gone down. Nothing like "misery loves company" :lol: :lol: :lol: The aim of members, who are more experienced, is to share what they've learnt so that others can navigate their knife / sharpening journey more quickly. I really hate the forums where the responses are hyper critical and / or mean, so this is the ONLY forum I belong to.

If there's one thing I've learned here it's that there is no single correct answer to pretty much anything and so if your contribution is a bit left field, it can trigger & invite a whole lot of differing responses that can really become something of a bible to the members as a whole. So take a deep breath and dive in, because your input will be welcomed and respected.
These are very sage words Radar53. I've recently read some reddit posts, there are some very mean people out there. I cherish the class and dignity with which members act here. You learn it from the old timers right off the bat just reading. At least I did. A great education to be had if you want it, lots of fun and laughter too. Thanks to all here, especially you white beards!
In the immortal words of Ken Schwartz-"Master The 1K."
Gilgamesh0419

Post by Gilgamesh0419 »

Someone please bless me with the power to find a Kato gyuto 🤗
trancher

Post by trancher »

Gilgamesh0419 wrote: Sat Sep 17, 2022 7:41 am Someone please bless me with the power to find a Kato gyuto 🤗
Here's a G3 240 that's in stock.
https://www.chefknivestogo.com/kagigy24.html