Kitchen pan(s) recommendation

For questions/topics that don't fit into the other, more specific forums.
ronnie_suburban

Re: Kitchen pan(s) recommendation

Post by ronnie_suburban »

delmar wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 5:23 pm Ronnie,

I feel ya.

I wouldn't say I'm an expert here by any stretch of the imagination, but I did my time on Sunday buffet lines, and the stacks of pans we used at the omelet station had sloped sides with bigger transitions, but were roughly as tall. That pan you have reminds me more of a sauté pan that I'd use to cook up some button mushrooms or flip some veggies. I'd say look for sloped sides, and I bet you'll be much happier. Also, if you don't have stiff silicon spat, can make a big difference too. A semi-rigid crepe turner is my favorite for omelets. The last pan I used for omelets was this (maybe 9", don't remember) and it worked great - https://www.tramontina.com/pro-series-8 ... 80114534/p

Not saying it was the best quality or the finish was non-toxic, etc., etc., but I can verify the shape works very well for omelets. I think a short fry pan would work too, but those with upright sides tend to have abrupt transitions, and that can be tough to have when you are looking for egg edge release...a greater transition with sloped sides would be my preference.

Handles - I hear ya, but when I look at photos of the AC D3 to the Demeyere 5-plus, man they are really close in shapes. But human hands are pretty darn sensitive, so what appears visually subtle can be a much bigger divide with touch. If you made me chose, I agree - I'd take the AC by a hair. But having used both, there isn't a huge gap IMHO. But I respect your opinion here for sure and glad you are sharing.
Heya delmar,

I really appreciate the intel on all of this (as well as the link). I've grown very accustomed to my Scanpan pieces, especially the slope of the sides and the ergos -- particularly the handle shape and size. It's fun to buy and try new pieces but I'm not sure I'll do better (for myself) than just replacing the current 9-year-old Scanpan nonstick with the same piece. That said, the Tramontinas to which you linked are really affordable, so it'll be tough to resist trying one out. I do have some AC pieces, which I bought in another lifetime (or so it feels). At some point, I became disenchanted with them but I can't remember exactly why. Maybe it's time to dig them out of storage and reassess. Thanks again!
=R=
Half of cooking is thinking about cooking.
enjay

Post by enjay »

delmar wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 5:23 pm The last pan I used for omelets was this (maybe 9", don't remember) and it worked great - https://www.tramontina.com/pro-series-8 ... 80114534/p

Not saying it was the best quality or the finish was non-toxic, etc., etc., but I can verify the shape works very well for omelets. I think a short fry pan would work too, but those with upright sides tend to have abrupt transitions, and that can be tough to have when you are looking for egg edge release...a greater transition with sloped sides would be my preference.
Hear, hear. I only use Teflon pans for omelette, specifically, the classic/French variety that I really would rather not botch or brown. And for that task this exact Tramontina piece has served me well; it is light, cheap, and its aluminum exterior promotes even heating.

The obvious drawback, as everyone knows, is that Teflon pans are not meant to be kept forever and will need to be replaced when the coating wears out, which for my use takes about three years. I'm pretty careful about this and generally make sure to use silicone tools, but the occasional wooden spoon to gently stir has not been too damaging, either.
salemj

Post by salemj »

ronnie_suburban wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 11:58 pm
delmar wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 5:23 pm

Handles - I hear ya, but when I look at photos of the AC D3 to the Demeyere 5-plus, man they are really close in shapes. But human hands are pretty darn sensitive, so what appears visually subtle can be a much bigger divide with touch. If you made me chose, I agree - I'd take the AC by a hair. But having used both, there isn't a huge gap IMHO. But I respect your opinion here for sure and glad you are sharing.
Heya delmar,

I really appreciate the intel on all of this (as well as the link). I've grown very accustomed to my Scanpan pieces, especially the slope of the sides and the ergos -- particularly the handle shape and size. It's fun to buy and try new pieces but I'm not sure I'll do better (for myself) than just replacing the current 9-year-old Scanpan nonstick with the same piece. That said, the Tramontinas to which you linked are really affordable, so it'll be tough to resist trying one out. I do have some AC pieces, which I bought in another lifetime (or so it feels). At some point, I became disenchanted with them but I can't remember exactly why. Maybe it's time to dig them out of storage and reassess. Thanks again!
I personally find there to be a very substantial difference even between the AC d3 and d5 despite being basically the exact same shape...and although it has been too long to remember precisely, I feel as if the copper core follows a similar standard deviation in the opposite direction (that is, it heats and cools the fastest on something like gas, whereas d3 is fast but not so fast as to have hot spots, and d5 is just damn slow and annoying). But as I said above, I think all this changes using a different heating surface...in fact, I find difference in preference even when cooking on a small apartment gas (with a ring of 3" or under) versus more powerful stoves with rings of 4"+ when using a 10" or (heaven forbid) 12" stainless skillet. Point being, most of us eschew buying knife blocks filled with one brand of knives, and I see all sorts of reasons for avoiding the same logic when it comes to cookware...something we all seem to be acknowledging above while still tacitly seeming to focus on the merits of a single brands across a multitude of designs. Funny how us humans work. :)
~Joe

Comments: I'm short, a home cook, prefer lighter, thinner blades, and own mostly Konosukes but have used over a dozen brands.
delmar

Post by delmar »

enjay wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 9:02 am
delmar wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 5:23 pm The last pan I used for omelets was this (maybe 9", don't remember) and it worked great - https://www.tramontina.com/pro-series-8 ... 80114534/p

Hear, hear. I only use Teflon pans for omelette, specifically, the classic/French variety that I really would rather not botch or brown. And for that task this exact Tramontina piece has served me well; it is light, cheap, and its aluminum exterior promotes even heating.

The obvious drawback, as everyone knows, is that Teflon pans are not meant to be kept forever and will need to be replaced when the coating wears out, which for my use takes about three years. I'm pretty careful about this and generally make sure to use silicone tools, but the occasional wooden spoon to gently stir has not been too damaging, either.
And at $21 for a 2 pack, that would be less than $4 per year. :D

https://www.costco.com/tramontina-profe ... 04305.html

I buy the 12" fry about every 2 years, and toss the old one in the trailer for camping. The 2 pack of 8" lasts a long time....i use the 12" way more.
delmar

Post by delmar »

BTW, regarding helper handles - seems the dividing line for most manufacturers is 3 vs 4 quarts - 3 quarts don't have 'em, 4 quarters do. Take a look at All Clad D3 line, demeyere, made and misen - all the same.

Saute pans are different animal - seeks like all 3 qt saute pan have helper handle.

That said, I do think Demeyere missed the boat on the helper handle on the 3.5 qt saucier. It would have been nice...
salemj

Post by salemj »

delmar wrote: Thu Aug 11, 2022 9:28 am BTW, regarding helper handles - seems the dividing line for most manufacturers is 3 vs 4 quarts - 3 quarts don't have 'em, 4 quarters do. Take a look at All Clad D3 line, demeyere, made and misen - all the same.

Saute pans are different animal - seeks like all 3 qt saute pan have helper handle.

That said, I do think Demeyere missed the boat on the helper handle on the 3.5 qt saucier. It would have been nice...
I'd agree, although my 3qt copper-core saucier has a helper handle. (And - although this is totally different - my le cruseut saucier also has a little helper handle at 2 qts.) But these are admittedly unnecessary given that the copper-core line is famously light despite its five layer construction. By contrast, the helpers on my 4qt sauce pans are super useful, especially when using them for boiling foods (pasta, potatoes). Even so, I far prefer my copper-core 4qt over my d5 precisely because it weight so much less and heats so much faster, while still avoiding hot spots.
~Joe

Comments: I'm short, a home cook, prefer lighter, thinner blades, and own mostly Konosukes but have used over a dozen brands.
Afjagjones

Post by Afjagjones »

Smartest thing I ever did was get all pots and pans with 10” lids. Never have to look for a lid, they all fit. Isn’t the most functional solution for the cooking side- but certainly takes care of a common problem I tend to have.
delmar

Post by delmar »

salemj wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 9:36 am
ronnie_suburban wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 11:58 pm
delmar wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 5:23 pm

Heya delmar,

I personally find there to be a very substantial difference even between the AC d3 and d5 despite being basically the exact same shape...and although it has been too long to remember precisely, I feel as if the copper core follows a similar standard deviation in the opposite direction (that is, it heats and cools the fastest on something like gas, whereas d3 is fast but not so fast as to have hot spots, and d5 is just damn slow and annoying). But as I said above, I think all this changes using a different heating surface...in fact, I find difference in preference even when cooking on a small apartment gas (with a ring of 3" or under) versus more powerful stoves with rings of 4"+ when using a 10" or (heaven forbid) 12" stainless skillet. Point being, most of us eschew buying knife blocks filled with one brand of knives, and I see all sorts of reasons for avoiding the same logic when it comes to cookware...something we all seem to be acknowledging above while still tacitly seeming to focus on the merits of a single brands across a multitude of designs. Funny how us humans work. :)
Joe, i think you misread my post. I was comparing handles, not pans.
ronnie_suburban

Post by ronnie_suburban »

As this picture shows, I'm still getting used to my new 9.5" Demeyere nonstick frying pan . . .

Leftovers Omelet with Toasted/Buttered Baguette
Really tried my best to clean out the fridge with this one, filling it with innumerable leftovers -- hot dogs, roasted cauliflower, fried onions, sauteed chanterelles, chives -- plus a few cheeses.

The high sides of the pan are definitely forcing me to adjust my omelet-cooking style. Flipping is harder, as is getting a utensil into a workable position in the pan (without possibly damaging the nonstick coating). I think I'll eventually get there. But there are additional attributes of this pan that will also take some getting used to. It takes longer to heat up than my Scanpan and also requires a higher flame to deliver the same amount of surface heat.

The build of this pan is no joke but I'm still not sure it's the best fit for me, especially when making omelets. Happily, what I made today was entirely edible (tasty, even), so there's no reason not to keep using the Demeyere and hopefully, getting more acclimated to it. When/if I get to the point where I can turn out an omelet with this pan as automatically as I can with my Scanpan, I'll feel like I've accomplished something useful.
=R=
Half of cooking is thinking about cooking.