Sink Bridge Curiosity

If you have questions about sharpening products, steels or techniques post them here.
homechef

Re: Sink Bridge Curiosity

Post by homechef »

Peter Samuelson wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 7:19 am 1.JPG2.JPG3.JPG

I built a sink bridge out of a board with some "stops" underneath to fit my sink gap. It's coated with CKTG cutting board paste. I use a brick wrapped in a damp towel as a perch for the sharpening stone. This brick & towel setup works equally well on the countertop.
Homemade is for sure the way to go here. I'm loving the brick idea and will be incorporating that in the next round!
billk1002

Post by billk1002 »

homechef wrote: Wed Jun 15, 2022 11:29 am
Peter Samuelson wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 7:19 am 1.JPG2.JPG3.JPG

I built a sink bridge out of a board with some "stops" underneath to fit my sink gap. It's coated with CKTG cutting board paste. I use a brick wrapped in a damp towel as a perch for the sharpening stone. This brick & towel setup works equally well on the countertop.
Homemade is for sure the way to go here. I'm loving the brick idea and will be incorporating that in the next round!
I use a brick wrapped rubber drawer liner.
Home cook, addicted to knives, stones, food and new recipes.
Bill
Mowgface

Post by Mowgface »

Attachments
2F8AE574-196D-42D4-9CC5-96C1B235CF0A.jpeg
94231AF6-627E-414F-91E4-B1A7AD0FEFCA.jpeg
billk1002

Post by billk1002 »

Nice collection, what grit is on the turntable?
Bill
Mowgface

Post by Mowgface »

billk1002 wrote: Wed Jun 15, 2022 1:22 pm Nice collection, what grit is on the turntable?
Thanks!

The Grey/Green is 180
The Brick colored one in the back 1000
Drewski

Post by Drewski »

I know this is quite late to the game, but I used to sharpen for a couple years on a towel (to prevent the stones (Choseras mostly) from sliding around) next to the sink. Then I got a Tojiro Pro sink bridge and couldn't have been happier. So much less mess. For me, and with my stones, I can't find a fault in this bridge. Wish I would have bought a sink bridge from the beginning. But if you can make one, even better!
MattinPA

Post by MattinPA »

I have a cheap, serviceable sink bridge from DMD Tools, who make that 150/400 stone CKTG carries. Otherwise I've have probably just made one out of wood. I do like using one, though. You can sharpen and flatten and just wash the slurry and swarf away right there.
Jeff B

Post by Jeff B »

Saw these on Amazon a few years ago but now Mark carries them. Love it for the money.

Adjustable Waterstone Sink Bridge
If God wanted me to be a vegetarian he wouldn't have made animals taste so good.
cliff

Post by cliff »

Drewski wrote: Thu Aug 25, 2022 9:28 am I know this is quite late to the game, but I used to sharpen for a couple years on a towel (to prevent the stones (Choseras mostly) from sliding around) next to the sink. Then I got a Tojiro Pro sink bridge and couldn't have been happier. So much less mess. For me, and with my stones, I can't find a fault in this bridge. Wish I would have bought a sink bridge from the beginning. But if you can make one, even better!
It's a little expensive, but the Tojiro is really solid and a pleasure to sharpen on.
billk1002

Post by billk1002 »

My original setup from about 5 years ago when I only had the Seuhiro soakers, 320 Cerax, 1K Cerax and 5K Rika, very functional and portable but a little high for my liking but it would allow me to soak all 3 stones at the same time in one place.
IMG_2535.jpg
I upgraded to the simple rubber tray which I still use today to lower the sharpening surface and help keep the countertop clean. This is still what I grab on a weekly basis to touchup a knife after it comes out of the rotation before it goes back in the box, it's the KISS principle.
IMG_2536.jpg
A few months ago I decided to try to learn to switch hands while sharpening so I needed clearance on both sides which I did not have with the trusty rubber tray so I purchased the el cheapo sink bridge, I am still amazed at how nice it is to use! Instant access to water via the faucet, no mess on the counter top, you know that chalky haze that appears 2 hours after you swore you wiped off the countertop, and when you are finished sharpening you just lay the bridge and your stones in the sink and rinse everything off together.
IMG_2537.jpg
Bill