A Loaf of Stone

If you have questions about sharpening products, steels or techniques post them here.
atang

A Loaf of Stone

Post by atang »

Working out some pitting on a suji that is essentially concave on the backside. Overgrind or not; doesn’t really change what’s in my hands. Finally decided to dedicate an edge of a coarse stone as a loaf shape to reach into it. Results are fair and exceed my expectations. Nowhere near as fast as a belt sander wheel ;) but this needs a different approach and fingerstones will not do. Don Nguyen’s yanagiba vid series inspired me to use a sword sharpening approach with this one. For a true single bevel, I would not do this. But since this is suji, this will work. Here’s some WIP shots.
56FA1904-6D1F-42B2-9648-B0A6E940D689.jpeg
I’m working heel to tip. Removing the horizontal scratches. You can see them a little better here.
C2308E4F-B9EA-433D-85EC-1CF05F2C4B57.jpeg

Here you can see where the grind starts at the spine and the area I’ve started the vertical scratch pattern
AC8E547C-8FB5-465E-B7C0-BD13F1895B8F.jpeg
Still have a ways to go. All in all, so far so good.
Radar53

Re: A Loaf of Stone

Post by Radar53 »

Hi there Adrian. Really admire the things that you take on. I know it's a tad selfish, but I just wish we could get more of your input. Keep up the good work.
Cheers Grant

Just because you're not paranoid doesn't mean they're not going to get you!!
atang

Post by atang »

Thanks Grant. Appreciate the kind words. Wish I could take credit for it but really this is nothing new just as there’s nothing new under the sun. Simply taking a process that’s been used for hundreds of years and using it in a modern day task. Conversely, I can’t share all my secrets :lol: . Check out some sword polishing videos on YT. Cool stuff that is the foundation for all things sharpening. We’ve just revised it for use on our kitchen tools ;) 8-) . Remember Ken’s instructions and Han Han stone? I’ve always wanted to explore that route in a sharpening routine and this is an opportunity to apply old knowledge to a current project. Thanks again!
aporigine

Post by aporigine »

Do tell me, of what stone is the loaf?
“The knife is the most permanent, the most immortal, the most ingenious of all man’s creations.”
- Yevgeny Zamyatin
atang

Post by atang »

The stone pictured is the naniwa omura. Silicon carbide and essentially a splash and go. I like it for carbons. Stainless and wear resistant steel, not so much. Does ok on softer stainless.
aporigine

Post by aporigine »

I have seen it! Back when Japan Woodworker was cool. For a brief glorious moment they sold Denka no hoto.
“The knife is the most permanent, the most immortal, the most ingenious of all man’s creations.”
- Yevgeny Zamyatin