Takamura Chromax VS R2 for sharpening

If you have questions about sharpening products, steels or techniques post them here.
Adam92

Takamura Chromax VS R2 for sharpening

Post by Adam92 »

Anyone have idea what's different between them? Chromax will be easier because similar to A2?
Santas_101

Re: Takamura Chromax VS R2 for sharpening

Post by Santas_101 »

It really depends on what stones you use, but they are both heat treated really well and have only found that Chromax develops a burr a little faster than the the R2.
Grizzly

Post by Grizzly »

I just bought a Takamura Chromax Santuku and am hoping I don't have to buy any wet stones or play in the water at the kitchen sink. I'd much rather sit down at the desk to sharpen as I usually do. Many of my kitchen knives are older carbon steel from the factories that are no longer with us. A few years ago, I tried those cheap KIWI knives, but have since gave them all away. I replaced them with this new Santuku because I liked the shape and size for my home preps and enjoy really sharp knives that cut effortlessly.

I'm pretty sure I shouldn't use even the fine or xf diamonds on that thin edge, but how about the Spyderco ceramics? I have all three, med, f and xf. How much edge sharpness will I be sacrificing? I also have some 1. and .5 diamond paste that I haven't used yet to strop a K390 Spyderco.
Last edited by Grizzly on Thu May 19, 2022 12:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
FisherMAn1298

Post by FisherMAn1298 »

Dear Grizzly, I've found that if you hand wash and dry the Chromax right after using it doesn't patina or rust at all. Then after eating put your .1 paste on a good nanocloth or leather strop and give it 5-30 strokes per side side is right back to uber sharp!! If you use those diamonds go easy, no burrs needed.
In the immortal words of Ken Schwartz-"Master The 1K."
Grizzly

Post by Grizzly »

Thanks FisherMAn1298. Uber sharp indeed. I used to joke about how sharp my older carbon steel chef knife would get, saying if it just touches you, it's got you, but this is a whole new level. I needed a band aid the first day. I see you can't get even a little careless, but I love how it cuts - other things.

I'll have to order up a new strop. These old leather ones have gotten dirty over the years. It will be really nice if that is all this needs. I was thinking I might have to strop with the Spyderco uf, but the leather with the 1.0 diamond paste would be great. I suppose one day though, it is going to need a stone. I'm hoping when that time comes, I can get by with the ceramics.
FisherMAn1298

Post by FisherMAn1298 »

Grizzly, that steel loves the stones. Make sure its top shelf, shapton glass, chosera pro, naniwa and it'll cut anything it touches. I tell everyone who picks up my knives no touching with your finger unless you like to bleed, it gets that sharp. I fell in love Chromax the day I bought it! I bought the santoku and I'm looking for a larger version to go with it. A good roo or bovine leather strop with that 1.0 paste will do wonders. I sharpened a knife the other day and did the paper test, it cut excellently but after a doze strokes on the nanocloth with .025 ken Schwartz diamond emulsion I cut the paper again and it was practically silent! and SMOOTHHHHHHHHHH!I love that feeling when you got the edge to reach its potential. Let me know how it works out for you.
aporigine

Post by aporigine »

Grizzly wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 11:38 am I just bought a Takamura Chromax Santuku and am hoping I don't have to buy any wet stones or play in the water at the kitchen sink. I'd much rather sit down at the desk to sharpen as I usually do. Many of my kitchen knives are older carbon steel from the factories that are no longer with us. A few years ago, I tried those cheap KIWI knives, but have since gave them all away. I replaced them with this new Santuku because I liked the shape and size for my home preps and enjoy really sharp knives that cut effortlessly.

I'm pretty sure I shouldn't use even the fine or xf diamonds on that thin edge, but how about the Spyderco ceramics? I have all three, med, f and xf. How much edge sharpness will I be sacrificing? I also have some 1. and .5 diamond paste that I haven't used yet to strop a K390 Spyderco.
When the time comes for stones, may I suggest a workaround like I use?
I have two flanged trays of the sort familiar from cafeterias. One has some water in it and will hold three stones on standby, plus nagura.
The work tray has a rubbery placemat that means my stone won’t budge. You could whet while you sit.

I find stropping only goes so far … ymmv
“The knife is the most permanent, the most immortal, the most ingenious of all man’s creations.”
- Yevgeny Zamyatin
Grizzly

Post by Grizzly »

Yes, stropping went just so far. I was hoping not to have to invest in water stones, since I already have diamond plates and Spyderco ceramics, but I was a little apprehensive since hardly anyone using Japanese knives uses anything but water stones.

It seems like diamond plates would be a no no on something as thin as this Takamuro Santuko in Chromax, being as thin as it is and how deep the diamonds cut. So I tried my Spyderco ceramics. First the med, then the fine, xf and finished with a strop of green on a lge paint stirrer. It probably took longer than with water stones, but the edge I ended up with was pretty satisfying. I don't know for sure how you all rate edges, but with this one, i'd describe it as grabby. It really doesn't want to let go of your skin very easily. Sort of reminds me of how a cats claw holds on and you have to be careful how you free yourself from it. This edge came out so sharp that if it just glances off you, it will probably cut into you. I love how it glides through French bread effortlessly.

I just enjoy sharpening at my desk and really don't want to get involved with water and trays, even though a splash and go stone would probably work. The Spyderco UF is probably around 4k and 3 microns.
FisherMAn1298

Post by FisherMAn1298 »

Hey Grizzly, why don't you grab one of those Suehiro combo stones Mark has. You'll find that the more you sharpen, the better you get and the more you want to sharpen! Down the rabbit hole you go!
taz575

Post by taz575 »

Chromax is basically A2 and it fairly easy to sharpen with non waterstones. Even Arkansas stones will work, albeit slower. It will take a stupidly fine edge fairly easily off of most stones/mediums and isn't super abrasion resistant where you need waterstones to sharpen it. Bark River uses A2 a lot and people like how easy it is to sharpen.
Grizzly

Post by Grizzly »

oh, I'm already down the rabbit hole, though probably not as far as most on here have gone. I was intrigued by the laser description of this Santuku and the price was certainly reasonable. What I seem to be noticing in this short time owning it is that it needs frequent touch ups. I'm guessing because the edge is so thin. But it does get screaming sharp. I love my cole slaw cut very thin and with this knife, I can really shave it off thin. But after a head of cabbage it is in need of a touch up and on a stone, not just a strop. But I'm sure over time, I'll see how long it holds its edge and how long it takes to bring it back. I don't use the Arkansas stones much anymore, especially now that I have the plates and the Spydy ceramics. Oh, I may be tempted to buy more, but unless I go down that Japanese rabbit hole deeper, I think I can get by nicely now.

I have an old carbon steel 10" Robinson chef knife with a french profile and a very nice thin grind that stays sharp and touches up easily. As nice as this performs, I really don't have a burning desire to replace it with anything yet.