2k-3k Whetstone Recommendation

If you have questions about sharpening products, steels or techniques post them here.
aporigine

Re: 2k-3k Whetstone Recommendation

Post by aporigine »

Radar53 wrote: Sun Apr 17, 2022 4:37 pm
aporigine wrote: Sat Apr 16, 2022 6:42 pm
Jeff B wrote: Fri Apr 15, 2022 8:16 am I have to disagree here, Choceras have a magnesia based binder. Highly regarded pro sharpeners like Jon Broida, Jason Bosman and others have warned against pre-soaking magnesia based stones. Naniwa warns against pre-soaking their stones I would say for a reason.
I have seen several cracked Choceras over the years. When asked if they soak their stones the answer was usually yes. An hour is a very long soak pre-soak too, even soakers usually only take 10-15 minutes. Maybe your stone could go it's entire life being soaked prior to every session without much damage....and maybe not. It simply comes down to this, do you want to take that chance.
After 20 minutes in shallow water, i pull mine out and zoop! too dry to use. Is there a trick? (other than rewetting many times; that one’s off the table)
not sure what "shallow" means in this context. Is it less than the height of the stone?? Even for my non-perma-soaked stones, when I do use them I soak them fully covered with water. My thinking is that if the stone isn't fully covered, them I'm relying on capillary attraction to draw water into the stone, which may not be ideal.

The other thing I've noticed, is that some stones are thirstier than others, which means they need a top-up more often. The classic for me is my Nubatama Platinum 1k (hard). Despite an initial good soaking before use, it always needs a lot of top-ups.

Sorry, just spit-balling here
Yup, about a quarter inch. My thinking is that if i leave an airspace it is easier for the water to be drawn in.

I keep a spray bottle of RO water on hand for the top-ups. The stuff from the tap is groundwater, and not a fine grind.
“The knife is the most permanent, the most immortal, the most ingenious of all man’s creations.”
- Yevgeny Zamyatin
Radar53

Post by Radar53 »

I like to have the stone covered in water, as my thinking is that it helps to force that air out.
Cheers Grant

Just because you're not paranoid doesn't mean they're not going to get you!!
taz575

Post by taz575 »

Yeah, I keep them covered as well. Water will soak in to the depth of the water, but I don't think it will draw much upwards from that 1/4". If you flip it over to use the wet side, the water will probably go towards the bottom of the stone due to gravity as well. Cover the whole thing with water and you will still need to keep it wet during use!
Jeff B

Post by Jeff B »

If just submerging 1/4", the face to use would be the face that's submerged.
If God wanted me to be a vegetarian he wouldn't have made animals taste so good.
karnaknives

Post by karnaknives »

I just used my Chosera 3000 yesterday. It's never been soaked, and it stays wet throughout the process of sharpening after using my hand to wet the top and rub the water across the surface. At times, if needed, I do sprinkle and rub water across my stones periodically. But I don't feel like the Chosera 3000 requires more 'top ups' than any other splash and go.
aporigine

Post by aporigine »

karnaknives wrote: Mon Apr 18, 2022 10:53 am I just used my Chosera 3000 yesterday. It's never been soaked, and it stays wet throughout the process of sharpening after using my hand to wet the top and rub the water across the surface. At times, if needed, I do sprinkle and rub water across my stones periodically. But I don't feel like the Chosera 3000 requires more 'top ups' than any other splash and go.
Mine is not like that. I’m gonna go with what JeffB said and “soak it til I broke it”.
“The knife is the most permanent, the most immortal, the most ingenious of all man’s creations.”
- Yevgeny Zamyatin