What did you cook today?

For questions/topics that don't fit into the other, more specific forums.
trancher

Re: What did you cook today?

Post by trancher »

aporigine wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2024 9:51 am Your meat always looks like food-stylist perfection. The veg are also darn fine for “what food eats.”
Don't forget the knife pr0n, aporigine! :lol: :shock: 8-)
aporigine

Post by aporigine »

trancher wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2024 10:45 am

Now you’ve done it, trancher. I’m craving some pr0n tempura. Heading out in a few to acquire aquatic arthropod awesomeness and absolutely add annular allium appetizers.
“The knife is the most permanent, the most immortal, the most ingenious of all man’s creations.”
- Yevgeny Zamyatin
mauichef

Post by mauichef »

Shrimp Boil Panama Style!!!!

Locally made chorizo pork sausage and giant Langostinos straight off the boat.
IMG_6586.jpeg
IMG_6588.jpeg
stevem627

Post by stevem627 »

Ray, that looks delicious. Glad to see you’re settling in down there.
mauichef

Post by mauichef »

Gracias! Yep, loving life (and food) in Panama! Now just got to get the house built and my knives out of storage!
aporigine

Post by aporigine »

aporigine wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2024 11:28 am

Now you’ve done it, trancher. I’m craving some pr0n tempura. Heading out in a few to acquire aquatic arthropod awesomeness and absolutely add annular allium appetizers.
I made the batter too thin, but otherwise heckyeah!! Note a sliver of wonderpup bottom left.
I like to make the onion as half-rings. They’re easier to coat and to eat.

Alliaceous annuli adapted as advantageous, aye apposite, arcs.
Mise en place for cerveza-tempura arthropod. Kuwabara W1 tall petty and el Rey Cortador.
Mise en place for cerveza-tempura arthropod. Kuwabara W1 tall petty and el Rey Cortador.
Attachments
Ready to rock with double-strength tentsuyu and an Atomic Torpedo.
Ready to rock with double-strength tentsuyu and an Atomic Torpedo.
Last edited by aporigine on Sun Mar 03, 2024 6:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“The knife is the most permanent, the most immortal, the most ingenious of all man’s creations.”
- Yevgeny Zamyatin
trancher

Post by trancher »

aporigine wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2024 5:20 pm
aporigine wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2024 11:28 am

I made the batter too thin, but otherwise heckyeah!! Note a sliver of wonderpup bottom left.

IMG_3802.jpeg
Nice work!

(sorry I'm a bad influence :mrgreen: , don't invoice me for your purchases ;) )
ronnie_suburban

Post by ronnie_suburban »

aporigine wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2024 9:51 am Your meat always looks like food-stylist perfection. The veg are also darn fine for “what food eats.”
LOL - thanks, guys! Just doing what I can to stay out of trouble. :D
aporigine wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2024 5:20 pm I made the batter too thin, but otherwise heckyeah!!
Nice! They look pretty effing good from here! :)

My plan to cook some cold weather dishes before winter ends is going well . . . except for the fact that winter seems to have vanished. It's been eerily warm here lately. Today it's damned near 70F, which is totally insane for Chicago. I actually have some windows open and the ceiling fans on. Crazy. In any case, this will probably be the last time meatloaf makes an appearance until next winter . . .

Meatloaf Mise En Place
Panko, seasoning plate (salt, black pepper, granulated garlic & onion, dried/ground shiitake mushrooms), ground beef & pork, eggs, sauteed onion and milk.
Be not alarmed by that strip of brightness on the left side of the screen. It's known as sunlight! :lol:

Normally, I throw some sauteed mushrooms in too but I forgot to buy them, so I went with the shiitake powder, which has worked well in my turkey burger recipe and which worked well here. Made a panade with the panko and milk, then mixed everything else together and baked it free-form, for maximum exterior crustiness . . .

Free-Form Meatloaf
350F convection roast for ~1 hour (then onto some arugula, which someone would eat later in their salad).

Plated Up
With a pan sauce made from the drippings, some leftover/reheated veg-spiked quinoa and 2 salads: spicy-sweet cucumber and lettuce/arugula with shallot vinaigrette.
=R=
Half of cooking is thinking about cooking.
billk1002

Post by billk1002 »

You all are killing it!!
That extreme southern shrimp boil is making me jealous, dam fine plate of food.
Followed by fried shrimp and a hoppy Sierra Nevada, oh yes.
Meatloaf, its whats for dinner, I do not make it very well so that is my comfort food after a long mnt bike ride at the bar, I like the gravy on my fries too :lol:

Sunday night dinner party salmon...

Half of a salmon rubbed down with EVO and Blackstone Cajun, allowed to rest for 4 hours.
The Salmon toppings - 5 varieties of mushrooms, red yellow and orange peppers, onion, shallot, garlic, ginger root.
The sauce for the salmon toppings - soy sauce, hot pepper garlic sauce, fish sauce, miron, rice wine vinegar & honey (more honey than you would think)
Roasted cauliflower & broccoli with EVO, salt, pepper & garlic powder.
Served over couscous.
Our appetizer was a quick charcuterie board.

The salmon was baked for 12 minutes at 375.
The mushrooms and veggies were cooked and then poured over the salmon, more honey was added on top.
The salmon went under the broiler for 8 minutes to finish and crisp up the toppings.

Happy Sunday to all of my knife peeps :D

Tsunehisa Nami AUS10 Gyuto 210mm
Tsunehisa Nami AUS10 Gyuto 210mm
IMG_5992.JPG
IMG_5993.JPG
Buffet style tonight with all of the people
Buffet style tonight with all of the people
Home cook, addicted to knives, stones, food and new recipes.
Bill
Kekoa

Post by Kekoa »

mauichef wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2024 12:43 pm Shrimp Boil Panama Style!!!!
Your making me wish I liked sea food! :lol:
aporigine

Post by aporigine »

Kekoa wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2024 9:30 pm
Your making me wish I liked sea food! :lol:
I love the stuff! (eel, not so much)

That pan of camarones y chorizo looks bangin! In the immortal words of Mohammed: “I’d eat that!”
- Yevgeny Zamyatin
Jeff B

Post by Jeff B »

[/quote]
ronnie_suburban wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2024 6:53 pm ...Meatloaf Mise En Place
billk1002 wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2024 8:42 pm ...Sunday night dinner party salmon...
DAMN! :shock: Y'all making me want to learn how to cook! :geek:
If God wanted me to be a vegetarian he wouldn't have made animals taste so good.
wrathen

Post by wrathen »

did a light batteries chucks of chicken, pan fried and then tossed in buffalo sauce. Put that on the side of a blue cheese & wedge style salad
ronnie_suburban

Post by ronnie_suburban »

Normally, when I make a recipe for the first time, I try to follow it exactly and adjust, if necessary, on subsequent attempts. This recipe for pad kee mao with pork was an exception. It called for stir-frying some completely unseasoned pork. That raised a red flag for me. The recipe was pretty sparse to begin with (no descriptions on slice sizes or shapes), so I figured taking a few liberties was a-okay.

After I deboned and sliced up a couple of pork chops (from the aforementioned box of gifted meat), I marinated them in a touch of dark/sweet soy, dark soy, fish sauce, Golden Mountain and corn starch. Another adjustment was more out of necessity than anything else. I thought I had some wide rice noodles but I didn't, so I used rice sticks (aka pad thai noodles) instead . . .

Mise En Place & Tsunehisa Nami AUS10 Gyuto 210mm
Avocado oil, corn starch, arugula (recipe simply called for "fresh greens" and this was all I had), stand-in rice sticks (some soaking out of frame), MSG, dark soy sauce, fish sauce, scallions, sliced pork, Thai chile powder, dark/sweet soy sauce, Golden Mountain, yellow onion, Thai bird eye chiles, palm sugar, and minced ginger.

Pad Kee Mao Pork (sort of) ;)

Plated Up
With some spicy-sweet cucumber salad. I plan on getting some wide rice noodles asap and giving this another go in the near future.

Happy Monday! :)
=R=
Half of cooking is thinking about cooking.
aporigine

Post by aporigine »

I only used half that bag of shrimp yesterday, and had a burr under my britches to try my hand at shrimp scampi.
Two cloves sliced translucent-thin by the Kuwabara White 1 Tall Petty.
Two cloves sliced translucent-thin by the Kuwabara White 1 Tall Petty.
Butter, evoo, garlic (these three briefly sautéed), white wine, salt, pepper, lemon juice — reduce and bag with 2/3 pound shrimp before handing them to my good friend Sue Veed for 45 min/135 degrees.

After poaching, the sauce was a bit thin. Back into the saucepan, 1/2 tsp cornstarch, reduce for a much nicer sauce. Served with crackers and a young triple crème — and the rest of the wine: a Jadot Mâcon-Villages 2020 that proved delicious.
A high lick index from wonderpup. Knife is a 100mm ko-santoku proudly emblazoned GINGAMI-1.
A high lick index from wonderpup. Knife is a 100mm ko-santoku proudly emblazoned GINGAMI-1.
- Yevgeny Zamyatin
billk1002

Post by billk1002 »

Tuesday night ribs with mashed little red potatoes, my wife is out of town...
Rubbed the ribs down the night before, in the oven at 375 for 1 hour 45 minutes, add sauce back in for 10 minutes.
They cooked just long enough to liquify the internal fats and soften up.

IMG_6002.JPG
IMG_6004B.JPG
Home cook, addicted to knives, stones, food and new recipes.
Bill
Kerneldrop

Post by Kerneldrop »

Hydroponic grown

mauichef

Post by mauichef »

Lobster with lemon garlic and red pepper sauce.

We get our fish from one of the many local sellers. This is one of the best fishing spots on the Pacific Central America coast so its always amazing and fresh...and so cheap!!!!!
IMG_6534.jpeg
IMG_6535.jpeg
IMG_6536.jpeg
aporigine

Post by aporigine »

mauichef wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2024 3:09 pm Lobster with lemon garlic and red pepper sauce.

We get our fish from one of the many local sellers. This is one of the best fishing spots on the Pacific Central America coast so its always amazing and fresh...and so cheap!!!!!

IMG_6534.jpeg

IMG_6535.jpeg

IMG_6536.jpeg
How do spiny and Maine lobsters compare?
- Yevgeny Zamyatin
mauichef

Post by mauichef »

The main ...oops sorry.....difference is obviously the claws, or lack of. But as far as taste goes they are quite different. Maine are cold water creatures and their flesh is a bit sweeter than the Spiny variety. But Spiny lobster come from many different locations and therefore taste a bit different depending on the location and their diet.
I like them both but usually eat Spiny because of their availability and lower price.
These were some of the best I've had, very tender and sweet. Obviously it helps that they were probably caught that day. Most normal store bought are several days old which makes a big difference.
That lot cost us $16....hahaha!