What did you cook today?

For questions/topics that don't fit into the other, more specific forums.
billk1002

Re: What did you cook today?

Post by billk1002 »

ronnie_suburban wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2024 7:43 pm
Plated Up
With some toasted/buttered Caramelized Onion bread from Loaf Lounge. Multiple garnishes.
That looks fantastic, love me some stick blender soup, the flavor profiles are deep!
Home cook, addicted to knives, stones, food and new recipes.
Bill
ronnie_suburban

Post by ronnie_suburban »

billk1002 wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2024 7:50 pm That looks fantastic, love me some stick blender soup, the flavor profiles are deep!
Thanks -- it was a nice soup. Definitely happy to have squeezed it in before the weather warms up around here for good. And as much of a PITA as it is to drag out the vitamix after the stick blender (and then clean it later), it really takes things to the next level of creaminess. It's an excellent machine.
=R=
Half of cooking is thinking about cooking.
gladius

Post by gladius »

Meat and potatoes!

12 hour brisket and pork belly with roasted potatoes, onions and peppers with avocado and sour cream on the side.

gladius

Post by gladius »

Woke up with leftover potatoes in the skillet, what to do?
Add some runny eggs and toast and behold, breakfast!...

Eggs and red onion fried in Cultured Ghee. The bread is sprouted spelt from Berlin Natural Bakery, an Amish bakery, it is so delicate and good tasting.

ronnie_suburban

Corned beef, leftover from St. Patrick's Day . . .

Mise En Place & Yu Kurosaki Fujin AS Gyuto, 240mm
Salt, russet potatoes, corned beef, heavy cream, peanut oil, black pepper, homemade allium spice mix and yellow onion.

Corned Beef Hash
On the platter.

Plated Up
With a couple of sunny side-up eggs and a toasted/buttered English muffin from Loaf Lounge.
=R=
gladius

Post by gladius »

Choice Top Sirloin and yellow onion braised in an Adobo sauce, sea salted and pounded thin tenderized and slow cooked. Served with slow cooked in black clay pot “de la Hoya“ style Pinto beans topped with cheddar and tender nopalitos on the side and a Lamb Haas avocado from my friends grove and crema topped with a dash of Cayenne. Simple but this was one fantastic meal!

Last edited by gladius on Sun Mar 24, 2024 1:13 am, edited 3 times in total.
gladius

Post by gladius »

For dessert...
Alden's Premium Vanilla Ice Cream (sooo creamy) over fresh sliced mango and a sprinkle of cinnamon.

ronnie_suburban

Spent a little time out by the grill tonight. Seasonably cold (mid 30's F) and a bit windy but I managed it . . .

Hanger Steaks Grilling

Plated Up
With a home-baked sour cream & chive dinner roll and some spicy-sweet cucumber salad.
=R=
gladius

Post by gladius »

ronnie_suburban wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2024 10:57 pm Spent a little time out by the grill tonight. Seasonably cold (mid 30's F) and a bit windy but I managed it . . .

Plated Up
With a home-baked sour cream & chive dinner roll and some spicy-sweet cucumber salad.
---
Those dinner rolls look great - I just ordered Dessert Person ;) Thanks
Last edited by gladius on Mon Mar 25, 2024 11:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
ronnie_suburban

gladius wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 9:35 am I just ordered Dessert Person ;) Thanks
I hope you like it. Claire also has a bunch of videos -- some making recipes from her books, some making additional recipes -- posted at her youtube channel, as well as the NYT youtube channel. I find them incredibly useful, especially used in conjunction with the books.
=R=
ronnie_suburban

Not the greatest menu planning but once the meat comes out of the freezer, it's pretty much failsafe. So today, as an encore to yesterday's beef, more beef. This time, some fairly aged (not in the good way) American wagyu strip steaks that we ended up not needing to cook yesterday after we thawed them . . .

Mise En Place & Yu Kurosaki Fujin AS Gyuto, 240mm
Russet potatoes, salt, old freezer wagyu strips, yellow onion and black pepper.

Love that marbling but you can tell from their dark color, these spent a little too much time in the freezer. They were pretty thin, so I pan-seared them and then, while they rested, I cooked the potatoes and the onions in the renderings (along with a touch of light olive oil) . . .

Plated Up
With a leftover sour cream & chive dinner roll and a blob of the weekly slaw.

Happy Monday! :)
=R=
aporigine

Post by aporigine »

Lengua!
Painfully missing from my taco-meat repertoire was tongue. I had tongue at a festive dinner in Santiago forty years ago, and half-remembered it as oddly good.

Covid happened, and Walmart tongue doubled in price. Still, I sprang for one. The recipe is quite simple: onions, garlic, carrot, parsley, thyme, bay leaves … boil.
There’s a tongue down in there
There’s a tongue down in there
After three hours, I decided that it would be better if the tongue were cut into large chunks. With an evil swish, I drew the Sword and cut the meat lengthwise and crosswise. Another coupla hours at a slow simmer, and the meat was tender.
Okada BBQ Sword is sharper than the tongue!
Okada BBQ Sword is sharper than the tongue!
Once cool, I peeled and cleaned the meat of the stringy fatty parts. My local conspiracy of ravens dined well on my dross.

Today, I made a meal of mulitas de lengua. It’s an interesting meat: velvety texture and a hint of liver-gamy organ meat tang. I like!
Chopper King white #2 cleaver julienned the meat.
Chopper King white #2 cleaver julienned the meat.
Fried in hot tallow from cabeza, with mozzarella and Salsa de la Muerte. Stone “Delicious” double IPA and some ginned-up taco sauce.
Fried in hot tallow from cabeza, with mozzarella and Salsa de la Muerte. Stone “Delicious” double IPA and some ginned-up taco sauce.
“The knife is the most permanent, the most immortal, the most ingenious of all man’s creations.”
- Yevgeny Zamyatin
Bob Z

Post by Bob Z »

Stir Fry tonight!
Got some nice filet and sliced it with my only yani, but not as consistent as I would like but...brocc and cauliflower went into chef mike for 1.5 mins to soften them up a bit. Sauce was kitchen sink sauce and a touch of tamarind powder. Beef cooked in two batches, then peppers/brussel sprouts with a bit of water to steam them, cauliflower and brocc in with sauce, covered a min or two then beef added back in. Served on a bed of Jasmine rice. Was pretty good.
IMG_4496.jpg
IMG_4497.jpg
IMG_4498.jpg
gladius

Post by gladius »

Crispy Rice and Chicken - Arroz con Pollo leftovers:

Grilled some Jerk Chicken yesterday and I made some rice earlier in the day and fried it this evening in butter and olive oil to a nice crisp...

ronnie_suburban

aporigine wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 9:09 pm Lengua!
One of my favorites, especially on tacos, although I've never made it myself. Yours looks great and may have inspired me to give it a go. Tongue, the only meal you can cook that tastes you back! :P
=R=
ronnie_suburban

Bob Z wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 10:52 pm Stir Fry tonight!
gladius wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 11:16 pm Crispy Rice and Chicken - Arroz con Pollo leftovers:
Looking great, Gents! :)
=R=
mauichef

Post by mauichef »

aporigine wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 9:09 pm Lengua!
Painfully missing from my taco-meat repertoire was tongue. I had tongue at a festive dinner in Santiago forty years ago, and half-remembered it as oddly good.

Covid happened, and Walmart tongue doubled in price. Still, I sprang for one. The recipe is quite simple: onions, garlic, carrot, parsley, thyme, bay leaves … boil.

IMG_3874.jpeg

After three hours, I decided that it would be better if the tongue were cut into large chunks. With an evil swish, I drew the Sword and cut the meat lengthwise and crosswise. Another coupla hours at a slow simmer, and the meat was tender.

IMG_3876.jpeg

Once cool, I peeled and cleaned the meat of the stringy fatty parts. My local conspiracy of ravens dined well on my dross.

Today, I made a meal of mulitas de lengua. It’s an interesting meat: velvety texture and a hint of liver-gamy organ meat tang. I like!

IMG_3878.jpeg

IMG_3877.jpeg
Ahhhh...our favorite meat!!!
We cook Lengua pretty much every week.

So you need to give it about an hour per pound. Hard simmer. Any veg and aromatics will be great. We use a pickling spice mix with our onion, carrot, parsley, celery etc.

Do not allow it to cool before peeling it will be a hard process. Wear gloves and it comes off quite easily.

We normally eat it the first day with Potato Latkes and red cabbage. Then second day cut into small chunks and quickly fry for tacos...oh baby! Any leftovers goes into a tongue sandwich with lots of mustard on rye bread!
Its really easy to find in Panama. We can even buy it from our local PriceSmart (Costco)...inexpensive (about $1.50/lb!!!) and oh so good!

Made this last week.....
IMG_6899 (1).jpeg
mauichef

Post by mauichef »

Bought some lovely Corvina from our local fish seller, Juan.
Cooked it up with some peppers, onions, parsley and garlic in a lemon, butter and wine sauce.
IMG_6597.jpeg
IMG_6599.jpeg
trancher

Post by trancher »

mauichef wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 1:51 pm Bought some lovely Corvina from our local fish seller, Juan.
Cooked it up with some peppers, onions, parsley and garlic in a lemon, butter and wine sauce.

IMG_6597.jpeg

IMG_6599.jpeg
Man, that looks great, Ray!
billk1002

Post by billk1002 »

trancher wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 2:40 pm
mauichef wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 1:51 pm Bought some lovely Corvina from our local fish seller, Juan.

IMG_6597.jpeg

IMG_6599.jpeg
Man, that looks great, Ray!
Now that is some dam nice looking fish.
Home cook, addicted to knives, stones, food and new recipes.
Bill