Brisket Slicer

We encourage you to post your questions about kitchen knives here. We can give you help choosing a knife.
rwills81

Brisket Slicer

Post by rwills81 »

What kind of Japanese knife type is best for big meats like a brisket, ham or turkey?
I was looking at the Yanagibas because they go beyond 240mm but I know these are mainly for fish/sushi so would they hold up?
I was also looking at the Kiritsuke or Sujihiki as well
ronnie_suburban

Re: Brisket Slicer

Post by ronnie_suburban »

Since briskets are boneless, I think most any blade would hold up just fine with one. Many in the trade, including seasoned pros like Aaron Franklin, recommend surprisingly inexpensive stamped, serrated knives. The Dexter 12-Inch Silver Sani-Safe Scalloped Roast Slicer Knife is one that I think he mentions in his book. Personally, I like using a yanagiba on brisket but it's completely unnecessary.
=R=
Half of cooking is thinking about cooking.
XexoX

Post by XexoX »

ronnie_suburban wrote: Tue Jan 04, 2022 3:05 pm Since briskets are boneless, I think most any blade would hold up just fine with one. Many in the trade, including seasoned pros like Aaron Franklin, recommend surprisingly inexpensive stamped, serrated knives. The Dexter 12-Inch Silver Sani-Safe Scalloped Roast Slicer Knife is one that I think he mentions in his book. Personally, I like using a yanagiba on brisket but it's completely unnecessary.
Mr. Suburban has good insight. The right tool for the job. And sometimes the tool is inexpensive. Of course, if you are looking for an excuse to buy something more expensive (handmade, etc.) then we are all enablers here. :mrgreen:
You can blame Mr. Suburban for my being here. :lol:
The thing about quotes on the internet is you can not confirm their validity. -- Abraham Lincoln
All steels are equal if you can't keep them sharp. -- Jeff B.
Jeff B

Post by Jeff B »

I have a 300mm Konosuke W#2 Sujihiki and a Konosuke 300mm FM Fujiyama B#2 Sujihiki for the occasional brisket and holiday ham and turkey.
As Ronnie mentioned, totally unnecessary but SO MUCH FUN! ;) 8-)
If God wanted me to be a vegetarian he wouldn't have made animals taste so good.
gladius

Post by gladius »

ronnie_suburban wrote: Tue Jan 04, 2022 3:05 pm Many in the trade, including seasoned pros like Aaron Franklin, recommend surprisingly inexpensive stamped, serrated knives. The Dexter 12-Inch Silver Sani-Safe Scalloped Roast Slicer Knife is one that I think he mentions in his book.
---
+1
Pat LaFrieda << recommends two knives: a 10-12" Scimitar and a 5" flexible boning for all things "meat".

Bear007

Post by Bear007 »

This one works pretty good

gladius

Post by gladius »

Jeff B wrote: Tue Jan 04, 2022 3:58 pm I have a 300mm Konosuke W#2 Sujihiki and a Konosuke 300mm FM Fujiyama B#2 Sujihiki for the occasional brisket and holiday ham and turkey.
As Ronnie mentioned, totally unnecessary but SO MUCH FUN! ;) 8-)
---
Yes! On the rare occasion...the Toyama Noborikoi Kasumi Sujihiki 270mm is my go-to.

cliff

Post by cliff »

I use a 300mm Ashi Ginga in White no. 2. I'd be afraid of using a Yanagiba because of the crust on a brisket.
jacko9

Post by jacko9 »

I have a 270mm W#2 Kagekiyo Sujihiki but, I would prefer using a long Gyuto for brisket. I have a 300mm carbon steel Western or if I'm cooking a smaller flat I use my 240mm Gyuto.
btbyrd

Post by btbyrd »

I use a 12" granton edged Victorinox slicer. Cheap, cheerful, and does a better job making thin slices than other knives I have that cost 10X more.
Jeff B

Post by Jeff B »

btbyrd wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 3:17 pm I use a 12" granton edged Victorinox slicer. Cheap, cheerful, and does a better job making thin slices than other knives I have that cost 10X more.
A grilling and smoking forum I visit, that is the favorite among them for smoked briskets.
If God wanted me to be a vegetarian he wouldn't have made animals taste so good.
Kalaeb

Post by Kalaeb »

I have been looking for a good scimitar for a while now...
btbyrd

Post by btbyrd »

I get the impression that scimitars are more useful for portioning and breaking rather than slicing.
Jeff B

Post by Jeff B »

Scimitars are also called breaking knives.
Miles

Post by Miles »

If I had the Scimitar and hacksaw, they wouldn’t go on my knife wall- they’d be in the tool chest. Different tools for different jobs I guess.
taz575

Post by taz575 »

I use a 270 or 300mm suji. I like stiffer ones for slicing roasts and hams and stuff. Thinner ones can flex and wander more on the thinner cuts, but work well on fish, raw proteins or less tall foods (ie pork tenderloin vs pork loin). The thicker blade with convexing also lets the slice fall away from the roast, too. I have used a breaking knife for slicing down pork loin into chops, but it doesn't work as well slicing cooked meats.
aporigine

Post by aporigine »

I have not had luck or fun using a yanagi or takobiki on beef. My Shibata gyuto shines on beef, and the Sword is so much fun.
“The knife is the most permanent, the most immortal, the most ingenious of all man’s creations.”
- Yevgeny Zamyatin
mauichef

Post by mauichef »

I would never use a single bevel on a brisket. It would steer too much...at least in my hands it would :oops:
My go-to is a 270mm Konosuke Fujiyama Sujihiki/Kuritsuke in White #2 with Matt Delosso handle.
Kono Fuji Sujihiki-2.jpg