Tsunehisa ZA18 210mm Gyuto

Miles

Tsunehisa ZA18 210mm Gyuto

Post by Miles »

I haven’t spent that much time with this knife, but I did do some test cuts- apples/carrots and set a bevel (sharp OOTB). But here I go.

This is a very light weight knife- a feather (125g). It’s a full on laser or a long scalpel. Ever so slight convex going on but like most lasers you’re going to get a decent amount of stiction (it should slightly improve with use). Super fun to cut paper thin slices and precise cuts. I think the being this light helps.

It’s really pretty. fit and finish is pretty nice. We’ve all paid more and got less. Would have liked a rounding on the spine, but it’s not sharp.

OOTB edge is really sharp. Maybe a Steve G 7? So why did I sharpen it? I dropped it and gave it a few microchips. Oops. I took it to a 320,1k,2k,5k. On the stones, it felt like a stainless but the deburr process wasnt tough. Noticeably easier than my last couple VG10s. I’m not a great sharpener, but I took it to 5k and 1um strop and it’s nice. Paper cuts were very quiet. Not sure about retention, but ZA18 after one full progression is good stuff left me impressed.

So here’s my problem- There’s some flex going on and it’s more than I like. I guess that’s part of super thin stainless (1.7mm mid). It doesn’t feel cheap. I just don’t like much of any flex. Honestly I haven’t tried many lasers this thin before.

Who’s this knife for? Mom. Really, anybody that might want a feather-weight knife.

(made my first handle - Maybe Zebrawood
Last edited by Miles on Sat Nov 13, 2021 10:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
d_rap

Re: Tsunehisa ZA18 210mm Gyuto

Post by d_rap »

Congrats on the handle.

And nice review, thank you. We should do more of these.
David