Pancetta recipies

Share your culinary creations, recipes, food knowledge, restaurant recommendations, etc.
ken123

Pancetta recipies

Post by ken123 »

Pancetta recipes? So far I just cooked it on an induction burner in a cast iron pan. Tasty! I'm familiar with pasta carbonara.
20210502_173845.jpg
Ken
XexoX

Re: Pancetta recipies

Post by XexoX »

Check out Mr. Suburban's post today in "What did you cook?", he used pancetta with some veal, cheese, ramps, garlic chives, etc.
You can blame Mr. Suburban for my being here. :lol:
The thing about quotes on the internet is you can not confirm their validity. -- Abraham Lincoln
All steels are equal if you can't keep them sharp. -- Jeff B.
ronnie_suburban

Post by ronnie_suburban »

XexoX wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 10:02 pm Check out Mr. Suburban's post today in "What did you cook?", he used pancetta with some veal, cheese, ramps, garlic chives, etc.
It was actually prosciutto but no reason pancetta wouldn't work.
=R=
Half of cooking is thinking about cooking.
XexoX

Post by XexoX »

ronnie_suburban wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 10:07 pm
XexoX wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 10:02 pm Check out Mr. Suburban's post today in "What did you cook?", he used pancetta with some veal, cheese, ramps, garlic chives, etc.
It was actually prosciutto but no reason pancetta wouldn't work.
Great Zeus, old age sucks! Mea culpa. But now you can provide Mr. Ken some recipes that use the correct ingredient. I've read a fic where the chef put pancetta in some Mac and Cheese. Fried it up crisp first.
You can blame Mr. Suburban for my being here. :lol:
The thing about quotes on the internet is you can not confirm their validity. -- Abraham Lincoln
All steels are equal if you can't keep them sharp. -- Jeff B.
ronnie_suburban

ken123 wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 9:22 pm Pancetta recipes? So far I just cooked it on an induction burner in a cast iron pan. Tasty! I'm familiar with pasta carbonara.
Is it already sliced or still whole?
=R=
d_rap

Post by d_rap »

As in carbonara, pancetta often shines chopped as an aromatic at the base of other flavors. Like cook gently in olive oil for a few minutes until it begins to render its fat, then come in with the garlic and maybe put some savoy cabbage or another green over that, saute and finish with water or stock and other seasonings.

Or saute with shallots and garlic to season a tomato sauce with mushrooms.

To get a similar effect with regular bacon you really need to blanch it for 10 minutes as Julia Child does. Prosciutto is fantastic but can be overpowering. Pancetta adds umami, but mildly, a flavor that's just right when you're looking for something meaty but subtle.
David
ronnie_suburban

d_rap wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 12:20 am As in carbonara, pancetta often shines chopped as an aromatic at the base of other flavors. Like cook gently in olive oil for a few minutes until it begins to render its fat, then come in with the garlic and maybe put some savoy cabbage or another green over that, saute and finish with water or stock and other seasonings.

Or saute with shallots and garlic to season a tomato sauce with mushrooms.

To get a similar effect with regular bacon you really need to blanch it for 10 minutes as Julia Child does. Prosciutto is fantastic but can be overpowering. Pancetta adds umami, but mildly, a flavor that's just right when you're looking for something meaty but subtle.
Pancetta is belly, so it's much easier to sub it in for bacon. Other than being rolled, the main difference is that pancetta is not typically smoked and that it's likely to be more herbaceous than most, standard-issue bacons. Prosciutto is dry-aged ham, almost always cured entirely with coarse salt (not curing salt). It's not an entirely different animal but it is from an entirely different part of the animal. :D
=R=
ken123

Post by ken123 »

These are great posts! Thanks to all .

Ken
ken123

Post by ken123 »

ronnie_suburban wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 11:50 pm
ken123 wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 9:22 pm Pancetta recipes? So far I just cooked it on an induction burner in a cast iron pan. Tasty! I'm familiar with pasta carbonara.
I got it thin sliced but open to all suggestions for future recipies.

Ken
killerloop

Post by killerloop »

ken123 wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 1:21 pm
ronnie_suburban wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 11:50 pm
I got it thin sliced but open to all suggestions for future recipies.

Ken
Looks like bacon! Does it get crispy?
Have you tried cutting it to small cubes, more flavor and texture?
ken123

Post by ken123 »

It does get crispy. tastes like bacon but abit saltier I did try it sliced thicker. Cooks well on cast iron on an induction pan too. My veggie wife likes it too :)

Ken