What Pizza did you make or eat today?

Share your culinary creations, recipes, food knowledge, restaurant recommendations, etc.
XexoX

Re: What Pizza did you make or eat today?

Post by XexoX »

I was wondering if anyone here knows an on-line place to buy pizza flour made from wheat grown in Europe? A neighbor has recently, (last year or three) developed GI issues with flour. He found that when he was in Italy he could eat pizza there, just not days in a row. Here, any flour seems to produce the GI issues, even organic.

So, I thought I'd try to find some pizza flour from Italy and make him a pizza, see if it doesn't bother him.

Thanks for any help provided.
You can blame Mr. Suburban for my being here. :lol:
The thing about quotes on the internet is you can not confirm their validity. -- Abraham Lincoln
All steels are equal if you can't keep them sharp. -- Jeff B.
gladius

Post by gladius »

XexoX wrote: Mon Sep 04, 2023 2:11 pm I was wondering if anyone here knows an on-line place to buy pizza flour made from wheat grown in Europe? A neighbor has recently, (last year or three) developed GI issues with flour. He found that when he was in Italy he could eat pizza there, just not days in a row. Here, any flour seems to produce the GI issues, even organic.

So, I thought I'd try to find some pizza flour from Italy and make him a pizza, see if it doesn't bother him.

Try heritage grain like Einkorn <<.

Read Valeria’s story… https://www.einkorn.com/healthy-grains/#more-3910
XexoX

Post by XexoX »

gladius wrote: Mon Sep 04, 2023 2:26 pm
XexoX wrote: Mon Sep 04, 2023 2:11 pm I was wondering if anyone here knows an on-line place to buy pizza flour made from wheat grown in Europe? A neighbor has recently, (last year or three) developed GI issues with flour. He found that when he was in Italy he could eat pizza there, just not days in a row. Here, any flour seems to produce the GI issues, even organic.

Try heritage grain like Einkorn <<.

Read Valeria’s story… https://www.einkorn.com/healthy-grains/#more-3910
Thank you. He has tried Einkorn, which was a bit better, but still caused him issues. The wheat things (pizza) he ate in Italy didn't have noticiable effects till he ate it several days in a row, which is why I'm trying to find a good source for pizza flour from Italy.
The thing about quotes on the internet is you can not confirm their validity. -- Abraham Lincoln
trancher

Post by trancher »

From Italy, look into Antimo Caputo Italian "00" Pizza flour, Xexo.

I have never placed an order with these guys, though.
Supermarket Italy <<
Last edited by trancher on Mon Sep 04, 2023 3:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
XexoX

Post by XexoX »

trancher wrote: Mon Sep 04, 2023 3:17 pm From Italy, look into Antimo Caputo Italian "00" Pizza flour, Xexo.
Thank you M. Trancher, I will do that.
Bob Z

Post by Bob Z »

More pan pizza! This one was made in a 12" Lloyd non stick pan (it kinda looks like anodized aluminum). The jury is still out on which pizza is better, cast iron version or this. But its sure easier to handle this pan than a 8lb cast iron. Baking time was shorter with this pan also due to the fact it heats up faster than the cast iron.
IMG_3883.jpg
IMG_3885.jpg
Kekoa

Post by Kekoa »

Oh man, you are making my mouth water with that pizza!
ronnie_suburban

Post by ronnie_suburban »

Had some great pizza in the tasting room at 28 Mile, a local distillery in Highwood, IL. The menu describes it as "New Haven Style." I'm honestly not sure how accurate that description is but this pizza seemed more substantially made than a lot of the ubiquitous Tavern Style pizzas I've had around town . . .

Sausage & Pepperoni Pizza
Yeah, we were pretty eager to get into this. :lol: Something you don't see very often with pizza served in bars in Chicagoland is wedge-slices. No squares here, which is just fine with me. :P

Slice
Just a very nice specimen that kind of says "eat me." :roll:

Side Detail
As you can see, the crust was well-risen. Like a well-made bread, it was pleasantly chewy (a bit of tug), with flavor continuing throughout the chew. It was well-constructed, well-proportioned and baked perfectly, with nice char bubbles popping up every so often on the crown.

I'm certainly no pizza expert but I really enjoyed this take. In fact, I'd travel here -- at least a few miles -- just to eat their pizza. Definitely destination-worthy. It's interesting, tasty and clearly, a whole lot better than a lot of other pizzas in the area (Highwood is home to at least 4 other places that serve pizza).

28 Mile Distilling Co. (website)
454 Sheridan Rd
Highwood, IL 60040
(847) 748-8090
=R=
Half of cooking is thinking about cooking.
Bob Z

Post by Bob Z »

ronnie_suburban wrote: Sun Sep 10, 2023 2:37 pm Had some great pizza in the tasting room at 28 Mile, a local distillery in Highwood, IL. The menu describes it as "New Haven Style." I'm honestly not sure how accurate that description is but this pizza seemed more substantially made than a lot of the ubiquitous Tavern Style pizzas I've had around town . . .

Yeah, we were pretty eager to get into this. :lol: Something you don't see very often with pizza served in bars in Chicagoland is wedge-slices. No squares here, which is just fine with me. :P
Wow that looks great Ronnie! I started off as a NY thin crust guy but just love all kinds of pizza lover now. That pix made me run out and get pepperoni for my next one!
STPepper9

Post by STPepper9 »

ronnie_suburban wrote: Sun Sep 10, 2023 2:37 pm Had some great pizza in the tasting room at 28 Mile, a local distillery in Highwood, IL. The menu describes it as "New Haven Style." I'm honestly not sure how accurate that description is but this pizza seemed more substantially made than a lot of the ubiquitous Tavern Style pizzas I've had around town . . .

Slice
Just a very nice specimen that kind of says "eat me." :roll:

Side Detail
As you can see, the crust was well-risen. Like a well-made bread, it was pleasantly chewy (a bit of tug), with flavor continuing throughout the chew. It was well-constructed, well-proportioned and baked perfectly, with nice char bubbles popping up every so often on the crown.

I'm certainly no pizza expert but I really enjoyed this take. In fact, I'd travel here -- at least a few miles -- just to eat their pizza. Definitely destination-worthy. It's interesting, tasty and clearly, a whole lot better than a lot of other pizzas in the area (Highwood is home to at least 4 other places that serve pizza).

28 Mile Distilling Co. (website)
454 Sheridan Rd
Highwood, IL 60040
(847) 748-8090
Wife and I just went for a walk at Openlands Lakeshore Preserve on Sunday. Right by there.
We would have gone to check it out on your rec. except that it was a little too early for dinner.
Fast fwd to today, decided to make some new haven style for the kiddos today. (I don't actually know if it's New Haven style, It's the style I grew up eating which was in CT near new haven.)
Also, sorry it's a bit Rustic. I was in a hurry.

Pizza one, pepperoni
Pizza 2 pepperoni on 1/3 and Mushroom & Cherry Tomato on the rest.
Attachments
Pizza1.jpg
Pizza2.jpg
ronnie_suburban

STPepper9 wrote: Thu Sep 28, 2023 12:42 am Wife and I just went for a walk at Openlands Lakeshore Preserve on Sunday. Right by there.
We would have gone to check it out on your rec. except that it was a little too early for dinner.
Fast fwd to today, decided to make some new haven style for the kiddos today. (I don't actually know if it's New Haven style, It's the style I grew up eating which was in CT near new haven.)
Also, sorry it's a bit Rustic. I was in a hurry.

Pizza one, pepperoni
Pizza 2 pepperoni on 1/3 and Mushroom & Cherry Tomato on the rest.
Dude, those pizzas look effing awesome! If you're apologizing for those, I can't even imagine the 'good' ones. :)

I only know what some Chicagoland places (e.g. Piece, 28 Mile, etc) refer to as New Haven and really have no idea if they're authentic representations or not.
=R=
STPepper9

Post by STPepper9 »

Thanks man, they tasted good so that's what counts..
I don't make much pizza these days, but in my 20's I made a fair amount for work and so I know I could make them look nice and uniform, but with time/space/equipment limitations I just went rustic.
XexoX

Post by XexoX »

What Mr. Suburban said. Double.
trancher

Post by trancher »

That's absolutely fantastic work.

Love the rectangle shape.

Thanks for starting my morning off right. :D
Bob Z

Post by Bob Z »

Been making a pizza every Saturday for 3 weeks now for my wifes crew at work, and some for home usage this time:
Work pie; this is a cast iron pie put enlarged and put into a rectangle. No knead dough makes it super easy! I par baked it at 425 for 10 minutes then dressed it and took another 13 mins to get done. This is a 12x16 pan.
piz 4.jpg
Home version: For these I tried a new recipe using sourdough starter and cornmeal. https://www.theperfectloaf.com/cornmeal ... ugh-pizza/
I like this guys stuff and got his book but I have to say the xtra work using the cornmeal and starter didnt seem to make much difference in chew or taste. Making mine like a cast iron pie and Maurizio making his like a normal pizza might be a factor.
And for you XeXoX, here are the two pans CKTG used to carry, beautifully black and non stick!
piz 1.jpg
Looks like the one on the left got a bit more done!
piz 2.jpg
Beauty shot:
piz 3.jpg
aporigine

Post by aporigine »

Oh man now I gotta try my hand at making a pizza in my West Japan Tools (Shibata) carbon skillet!
Now to find the right flour in meep meep country …

https://www.chefknivestogo.com/shibataskillet.html
“The knife is the most permanent, the most immortal, the most ingenious of all man’s creations.”
- Yevgeny Zamyatin
XexoX

Post by XexoX »

Bob Z wrote: Sun Oct 01, 2023 3:54 pm ...And for you XeXoX, here are the two pans CKTG used to carry, beautifully black and non stick!
And great pans they are! I have the same two myself and wish I had bought more as gifts. The pizza look great and I'm sure were quite delicious! :mrgreen:
Bensbites

Post by Bensbites »

I restarted my sourdough starter just to make pizzas ! Check out that crust!
Attachments
IMG_4905.jpeg
47B2CA3A-E8C3-4D58-8384-94013520C6EF.jpeg
22446304-FD57-4B54-89DA-3BDC1C2E71D1.jpeg
90885885-9BC7-4D36-B5CA-8C39E889627B.jpeg
ronnie_suburban

Middle Brow Bungalow opened back in late 2018 in the Logan Square neighborhood of Chicago. It was founded by some extraordinarily talented home brewers who initially migrated to toll brewing, developed a loyal following and eventually decided to take things to the next level by opening a brick and mortar location. In addition to beer, they also have a highly acclaimed bread program, a burgeoning winery . . . and pizza!

Recently, they rolled out Tavern Tuesdays, a night on which they switch over from their 'regular' pizza style (I'd describe it a New Haven/Neopolitan hybrid) to an ultra-thin version the beloved and fetishized tavern-style. Understandably, demand is high and lines can get long. Given what we'd heard/read about the wait times, we presumed that a 4:30 reservation would have us actually eating our pizzas between 5:30 and 6:00. We figured that arriving at 4:30 would provide a nice opportunity for some pre-gaming. In the end, arriving at that hour led to a more conventionally-timed experience. I think we were out of there - all fulla' pizza -- by about 5:30.

As I mentioned above, before all else, Middle Brow was/is known for its beer but nothing on the beer menu was really calling to me, so we opted for a bottle of one of their wines . . .

Cook Out Sparking Rose
A really fun/tasty bottle and aptly named, too. This fruit-forward, mildly bubbly blend would be perfect at an outdoor summer shindig. As it turns out, it was also a nice pairing for a crisp fall day of pizza-eating.

Five pizzas are available on Tavern Tuesday: cheese, sausage, pepperoni, veg supreme and a special which, on this day, featured chicken from Honey Butter Fried Chicken, another well-loved place in Chicago (fried chicken, pickled peppers, honey butter). We ordered 4 of the 5, figuring that a plain cheese pizza would be redundant . . .

Pepperoni

Sausage

Veg Supreme
Okay, clearly this one was a bit torched around the edges but even those pieces were still tasty and there were plenty of other pieces to enjoy, too.

Honey Butter Fried Chicken

For those interested in some "schematics," here are a few additional views . . .

Side View
Just impossibly thin, really.

Bottom View
Nice bubbly charred bits.

Corner
I didn't have a coin on me, so for scale, that's the tip of my pinky. Happily, each of the pizzas had similarly-sized pieces, otherwise we would have fought over them because they were extremely cute. :D

As is tradition, we way over-ordered, so there was plenty to bring home . . .

Box O' Leftover Pizza
We actually ended up with two nearly identical boxes.

The pizzas were quite tasty. As I touched on above, they were also way thinner than any tavern-style pizza I can remember having elsewhere. Even those pieces in the leftover boxes still had plenty of crustal (is that really a word?) integrity. My favorites were the Veg Supreme and the HBFC. That said, this might be heresy but I think I prefer Middle Brow's standard, non-tavern pizzas. I'm very glad I tried these and I'd happily do it again but I don't think one would be missing out on anything by going there for 'regular' pizzas on non-Tavern Tuesdays.

By the time we were leaving at 5:30, it had gotten quite busy, with a smattering of parties waiting. But at that point, neither the indoor nor outdoor seating areas were full. My guess is that capacity is governed by the kitchen, not the available seating. In any case, really good stuff. I've always been a fanboy of Middle Brow but I'd confidently and enthusiastically recommend Tavern Tuesday to anyone who's into pizza.
=R=
STPepper9

Post by STPepper9 »

Great, now I want honey butter fried chicken and their grits