Silent Movie

ChefKnivesToGo
Site Admin

Silent Movie

Post by ChefKnivesToGo »

I'm experimenting with doing some demo videos of me sharpening with no instruction. Basically just giving customers a peek at me working in the shop.

Mark Richmond
Co-Owner Chefknivestogo
https://www.chefknivestogo.com/newarrivals.html
Ut_ron

Re: Silent Movie

Post by Ut_ron »

I enjoyed it. One suggestion is that you show the stone progression a little slower. It was hard to make out what followed the 320. I’m assuming it was 1000.
Home cook that enjoys sharp knives.
d_rap

Post by d_rap »

I really enjoyed it too and agree that you should slow down a bit on the grit reveals; I think it was a 2K.

To me a little narration wouldn't hurt particularly for new people like that you're spending a bunch of time on a 320 even though you already got a burr (knife is AS, not zdp) probably because there are some imperfections in the edge you are working out. With SGs after you're done with that 320 you can skip all the way to a 2K. That's going to be surprising to some people. Spraying to remove swarf before you wipe so you don't get scratches. You work ambidexterously and that's just one option. Of course you say these things in other videos but for this to stand alone, for beginners just a few comments. Because actually it's a great video for people new to sharpening

For my friends who I'm helping get into this I'm definitely going to add some of those things and that will help them understand what they're watching.

Of course there's an aesthetic to the silent approach and I get that too.
David
gastro gnome

Post by gastro gnome »

Regarding how to communicate the stone details, maybe rather than showing the stone itself, you can show a title card with a list of the stones you use at the beginning. Or insert a title card when you change stones. That way, you don't need to bother remembering to show them to the camera.

I know that would be an extra step and these are supposed to be minimalist videos, but just a thought.
ronnie_suburban

Post by ronnie_suburban »

Love it . . . but not actually silent, just no voice track. And the sound that is there is really cool and, I think, would be potentially quite valuable to someone who wanted to learn about sharpening.
=R=
Half of cooking is thinking about cooking.
ChefKnivesToGo
Site Admin

Post by ChefKnivesToGo »

Ok, good. I'll do a few and incorporate the suggestions.
Mark Richmond
Co-Owner Chefknivestogo
https://www.chefknivestogo.com/newarrivals.html
jmcnelly85

Post by jmcnelly85 »

I’m trying that final strop technique, thanks for sharing.