Wok suggestions?

For questions/topics that don't fit into the other, more specific forums.
TC207

Re: Wok suggestions?

Post by TC207 »

Has anyone tried out the Babish 14” wok on Amazon?

https://a.co/d/3vpl0AB

It seems like it checks many boxes from the discussion here:

14” with a 6” flat bottom
Medium-heavy (item description is 7.8lbs, but guessing that is fully packaged)
Good angle on the handle, which is removable
Metal helper handle

Any thoughts?
stevem627

Post by stevem627 »

I looked at this while back and it’s pretty heavy. I think someone said a little over 4 pounds. You will probably find it isn’t a hand tossed, but I prefer the heavier weight since they retain heat well when you add a decent amount of ingredients. I was never happy with lighter weight carbon steel woks.

Reading through the reviews, I found it evident that many buyers get it because it says Babish and they know very little about cooking with carbon steel. There are quite a few bad reviews because the buyer doesn’t understand how to care for carbon steel
LaVieestBelle

Post by LaVieestBelle »

If anyone has been thinking about the carbon steel Newquist Forge woks, their next online sale will be September 18.

newquistforge.com
ronnie_suburban

Post by ronnie_suburban »

LaVieestBelle wrote: Wed Sep 07, 2022 5:50 pm If anyone has been thinking about the carbon steel Newquist Forge woks, their next online sale will be September 18.

newquistforge.com
I love mine so much, I want to buy another one. But that would be really stupid, right? :lol:
=R=
Half of cooking is thinking about cooking.
LaVieestBelle

Post by LaVieestBelle »

ronnie_suburban wrote: Wed Sep 07, 2022 7:11 pm
LaVieestBelle wrote: Wed Sep 07, 2022 5:50 pm If anyone has been thinking about the carbon steel Newquist Forge woks, their next online sale will be September 18.

newquistforge.com
I love mine so much, I want to buy another one. But that would be really stupid, right? :lol:
Um. I have two. Just saying.
ronnie_suburban

LaVieestBelle wrote: Wed Sep 07, 2022 7:14 pm
ronnie_suburban wrote: Wed Sep 07, 2022 7:11 pm

newquistforge.com
Um. I have two. Just saying.
Haha - you are of absolutely no help! :P
=R=
ColonelJLloyd

Post by ColonelJLloyd »

I still haven't built/fabricated my outdoor wok table, or even decided my exact setup, but I do have my high-test burner now. Let's say I want to treat myself and get one of these Newquist woks. Should I go with 16"? What about handle design?
ronnie_suburban

ColonelJLloyd wrote: Wed Sep 07, 2022 7:42 pm I still haven't built/fabricated my outdoor wok table, or even decided my exact setup, but I do have my high-test burner now. Let's say I want to treat myself and get one of these Newquist woks. Should I go with 16"? What about handle design?
I went with a 16" pow wok with tubular and helper handles. I tried the other handle (curvy?) and didn't like it nearly as much. I had trouble getting a good grip on it and keeping the wok from rotating. I think I passed that one on to my sister.
=R=
LaVieestBelle

Post by LaVieestBelle »

ColonelJLloyd wrote: Wed Sep 07, 2022 7:42 pm I still haven't built/fabricated my outdoor wok table, or even decided my exact setup, but I do have my high-test burner now. Let's say I want to treat myself and get one of these Newquist woks. Should I go with 16"? What about handle design?
I have the 14" Pow wok. Like the sturdy handle, and the size is fine for my not-huge stove and my recipes. My other is a flat bottomed one, not in current production but it might return someday. They are fabulous tools...and art! I haven't felt a great need for a helper handle on this size with this handle... Agree with Ron,,sturdier handle is more user-friendly.
ronnie_suburban

LaVieestBelle wrote: Wed Sep 07, 2022 7:54 pm
I have the 14" Pow wok. Like the sturdy handle, and the size is fine for my not-huge stove and my recipes. My other is a flat bottomed one, not in current production but it might return someday. They are fabulous tools...and art! I haven't felt a great need for a helper handle on this size with this handle... Agree with Ron,,sturdier handle is more user-friendly.
I rarely use the helper handle but it's there and I don't believe it's optional but I could certainly be wrong about that.
=R=
LaVieestBelle

Post by LaVieestBelle »

You have the 16", right Ron? I think it would be indispensable on the size you have...
LaVieestBelle

Post by LaVieestBelle »

Or if not indispensable, at least a darn good idea...
ronnie_suburban

For anyone who's interested, Newquist Forge is now taking pre-orders for cookware, garden and fireplace tools.

https://www.newquistforge.com/collections/all

Fwiw, my Newquist 16" pow wok is one of my favorite and most used pieces of cookware.
=R=
ronnie_suburban

LaVieestBelle wrote: Wed Sep 07, 2022 8:18 pm You have the 16", right Ron? I think it would be indispensable on the size you have...
(sorry I missed this earlier).

I do and mine has a helper handle. Fwiw, it appears that Newquist's 16" pow wok is available with or without the helper handle.
=R=
Jeff B

Post by Jeff B »

ronnie_suburban wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 11:28 am For anyone who's interested, Newquist Forge is now taking pre-orders for cookware, garden and fireplace tools.

Fwiw, my Newquist 16" pow wok is one of my favorite and most used pieces of cookware.
So much much for that, sold out already. That's what I get for being busy on a Saturday...
Now have to hope I can get an order in when they take March orders.
If God wanted me to be a vegetarian he wouldn't have made animals taste so good.
LaVieestBelle

Post by LaVieestBelle »

Jeff B wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 10:35 pm
ronnie_suburban wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 11:28 am For anyone who's interested, Newquist Forge is now taking pre-orders for cookware, garden and fireplace tools.

So much much for that, sold out already. That's what I get for being busy on a Saturday...
Now have to hope I can get an order in when they take March orders.
It's worth it Jeff. Set your alarm.
cheesydiaper

Post by cheesydiaper »

enjay wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 6:06 pm Dispatch from Wok Hunt

Found one made by a Japanese company called SOONEAR that appears to check most boxes. 1) Flat, 2) reasonably priced at $60, 3) all-metal construction, 4) carbon steel, and 5) light at a little over 2 lb.

It's perhaps a bit larger than I would normally use at 36 cm / 14 in (flat base is around 6 in, which is ideal) but the light weight makes it easy to wield and I should be able to toss with either hand. One somewhat unusual factor here is that it comes "preseasoned" with a layer of silicon coating, which the company claims will eventually melt away and Don't worry folks, for if and when it ends up in your system it should pass right thru! While they seem like nice folk, I plan to burn that away with an outdoor burner and season from scratch.

Finally, the one concern for the long run is that the pan is perhaps too light with its 1mm material and potentially warp under high heat; I will stay away from induction until I get a hang of how it works on gas first.

I will be keeping this and report back in a few weeks.

How is this wok? I'm also looking at it, but not sure if it's actually made in Japan, or that it might be too thin.
XexoX

Post by XexoX »

Posted this in the Carbon Steel pan thread, but reposting it here to catch anyone looking for woks. Mods, it goes without saying you are free to delete or edit as you see fit. So, of course, I won't say that. :mrgreen:

Just as heads up for you good folks. Newquist Forge sent me an email, quote from it below.
All our products will be available for pre-order Saturday May 6, 2023, starting at 9am PST. Please order promptly, as we sell out within an hour. Our woks and pans are the most popular items.
I do like my wok I bought from them at Mr. Suburban and Lady Belle's recommendation.
You can blame Mr. Suburban for my being here. :lol:
The thing about quotes on the internet is you can not confirm their validity. -- Abraham Lincoln
All steels are equal if you can't keep them sharp. -- Jeff B.
ColonelJLloyd

Post by ColonelJLloyd »

Damnit. I signed up for their email list so I could buy a wok. I checked my junk folder and sure enough there was that email.
XexoX

Post by XexoX »

Well, Newquist Forge is opening their on-line shop up for orders August 11th, 2023. See the quote below from an email I just received from them.
A note from us

Happy Summer!

You may have noticed, we had an online sale planned for July 21st, and have now changed it to August 11, 2023. August 11 we will open the online store for pre-order sales of cookware and garden tools.

Why did we change the date?! We have the good fortune of having my father (who is also an electrician) coming to visit, and he's going to help us wire a cabin. We couldn't miss this opportunity, so end of July, the blacksmith is laying down his hammer to pick up some wire cutters!

Please email or DM us @IG if you were hoping to gift a hand hammered wok or skillet for a wedding/birthday/anniversary, and we can see how many we can slip in before August 11.

Radha (and Erik)
You can blame Mr. Suburban for my being here. :lol:
The thing about quotes on the internet is you can not confirm their validity. -- Abraham Lincoln
All steels are equal if you can't keep them sharp. -- Jeff B.