Wok suggestions?

For questions/topics that don't fit into the other, more specific forums.
LaVieestBelle

Re: Wok suggestions?

Post by LaVieestBelle »

Once again, just a simple mention that today at 9am PT Newquist Forge is opening its site for carbon steel wok preorders. Those of us who have them love them.
Jeff B

Post by Jeff B »

gladius wrote: Sat Apr 30, 2022 3:13 pm
Jeff B wrote: Sat Apr 30, 2022 2:55 pm Problem is it's never been neglected and always heated and oiled after cleaning before putting away. And it's had many facials too.... :(
---
It is normal. I find sometime I need to refresh it if I make soup or let food sit in it. I assume you are not using dish soap and use a wok cleaning wisk or a chainmail to wipe food away.

https://youtu.be/b5iSoR0Wt78?t=446

EDIT: Seonkyoung Longest in the link above gives good advice (at 07:26)
Helpful video. Letting food sit in the wok for too long after using salts and sauces with sodium was probably one of my problems.
If God wanted me to be a vegetarian he wouldn't have made animals taste so good.
XexoX

Post by XexoX »

LaVieestBelle wrote: Sun May 01, 2022 8:20 am Once again, just a simple mention that today at 9am PT Newquist Forge is opening its site for carbon steel wok preorders. Those of us who have them love them.
Thank you Lady Belle. Still trying to talk myself out of it, but you and Mr. Suburban are very good enablers. I've got Newquist Forge in a tab. Still debating Darn you.
You can blame Mr. Suburban for my being here. :lol:
The thing about quotes on the internet is you can not confirm their validity. -- Abraham Lincoln
All steels are equal if you can't keep them sharp. -- Jeff B.
XexoX

Post by XexoX »

Jeff B wrote: Sun May 01, 2022 8:36 am
Jeff B wrote: Sat Apr 30, 2022 2:55 pm Problem is it's never been neglected and always heated and oiled after cleaning before putting away. And it's had many facials too.... :(
---
It is normal. I find sometime I need to refresh it if I make soup or let food sit in it. I assume you are not using dish soap and use a wok cleaning wisk or a chainmail to wipe food away.

Helpful video. Letting food sit in the wok for too long after using salts and sauces with sodium was probably one of my problems.
Indeed, I've discovered that leaving food in the wok too long does mess up the seasoning.

Before I go Googling, off the top of your head, do you know what the difference is between blue carbon steel and carbon steel? Thank you.
The thing about quotes on the internet is you can not confirm their validity. -- Abraham Lincoln
Jeff B

Post by Jeff B »

XexoX wrote: Sun May 01, 2022 8:43 am ...Before I go Googling, off the top of your head, do you know what the difference is between blue carbon steel and carbon steel? Thank you.
The only thing that I can say about that, just from my experience with knife steels, is "Blue" carbon usually means it has more alloys than more pure carbons which aids in rust protection. But that all depends on what "carbon steel" actually is in your question.
If God wanted me to be a vegetarian he wouldn't have made animals taste so good.
XexoX

Post by XexoX »

Jeff B wrote: Sun May 01, 2022 9:03 am
XexoX wrote: Sun May 01, 2022 8:43 am ...Before I go Googling, off the top of your head, do you know what the difference is between blue carbon steel and carbon steel? Thank you.
The only thing that I can say about that, just from my experience with knife steels, is "Blue" carbon usually means it has more alloys than more pure carbons which aids in rust protection. But that all depends on what "carbon steel" actually is in your question.
Thank you. In looking around at woks, I see carbon steel woks and blue carbon steel woks. Just wondering what the difference in them was. Again, thank you ever so much.
XexoX

Post by XexoX »

LaVieestBelle wrote: Sun May 01, 2022 8:20 am Once again, just a simple mention that today at 9am PT Newquist Forge is opening its site for carbon steel wok preorders. Those of us who have them love them.
Just bought a 16" wok from them. The Pow wok. I already have some 14 inch woks, so I went with the 16 inch one. I think that takes care of the last of my tax refund. :(
LaVieestBelle

Post by LaVieestBelle »

That's the same model/size that Mr. Suburban owns. Perfect match for your new stove!!!!! If you don't love it, blame the two of us. But you will love it.

Looks like they sold out in record time...
XexoX

Post by XexoX »

LaVieestBelle wrote: Sun May 01, 2022 11:46 am That's the same model/size that Mr. Suburban owns. Perfect match for your new stove!!!!! If you don't love it, blame the two of us. But you will love it.

Yes indeed. I got my order placed and received the confirmation email at 9:03 AM. So now I get to wait, up to 8 weeks. I'll have forgotten by then. Old age, dontcha know. :mrgreen:
Bob Z

Post by Bob Z »

LaVieestBelle wrote: Sun May 01, 2022 11:46 am That's the same model/size that Mr. Suburban owns. Perfect match for your new stove!!!!! If you don't love it, blame the two of us. But you will love it.
Yup I missed it, got it on my calendar now. But I did order a comal though which should be here one of these days.
Kalaeb

Post by Kalaeb »

Wow, those went as fast a a Konosuke shipment. Good for him. They look stellar.
LaVieestBelle

Post by LaVieestBelle »

Bob Z wrote: Sun May 01, 2022 2:07 pm
Yup I missed it, got it on my calendar now. But I did order a comal though which should be here one of these days.
Get on their mailing list and you should get a notice before the next sale date. If I spot it I'll mention it here again.

And the comal is sitting in my Amazon cart.

We all enable each other terribly, don't we?
LaVieestBelle

Post by LaVieestBelle »

Kalaeb wrote: Sun May 01, 2022 2:22 pm Wow, those went as fast a a Konosuke shipment. Good for him. They look stellar.
Like Ron, I've bought and tried different woks over the years. After using this one, I knew I'd found my wok happy place.
Bob Z

Post by Bob Z »

LaVieestBelle wrote: Sun May 01, 2022 2:28 pm
Get on their mailing list and you should get a notice before the next sale date. If I spot it I'll mention it here again.

And the comal is sitting in my Amazon cart.

We all enable each other terribly, don't we?
Well, if you get the comal then next you need a bag of masa and a Tortilla press so you can make fresh corn tortillas in your comal.
https://www.amazon.com/Victoria-TOR-003 ... B00HWEIKZO
LaVieestBelle

Post by LaVieestBelle »

---

You realize I already have a storage unit for my cookware overflow lol.
Jeff B

Post by Jeff B »

LaVieestBelle wrote: Sun May 01, 2022 2:55 pm
---

Maybe I'll have to buy one of your no longer used woks and maybe I can get it to work better than mine.
LaVieestBelle

Post by LaVieestBelle »

Jeff B wrote: Sun May 01, 2022 3:06 pm
LaVieestBelle wrote: Sun May 01, 2022 2:55 pm
---

Maybe I'll have to buy one of your no longer used woks and maybe I can get it to work better than mine.
Lol...don't know if my rejects would work any better...
XexoX

Post by XexoX »

My stars! A shipping label has been printed at Newquist Forge for my wok! Maybe it will be sent soon. Fingers crossed.
aporigine

Post by aporigine »

the Bible almost assists here; “by their woks will they be known”
“The knife is the most permanent, the most immortal, the most ingenious of all man’s creations.”
- Yevgeny Zamyatin
enjay

Post by enjay »

Jeff B wrote: Sat Apr 30, 2022 2:27 pm My wok has always been somewhat of a headache as far as the seasoning is concerned. Had real bad sticking the past couple times using so I've stripped the seasoning and started over. If it continues to be a problem it will be replaced quickly in the very near future. Is it possible for some carbon pieces to just be "bad" without the line as whole being bad?

This is what I have. https://www.wokshop.com/newstore/produc ... -made-usa/
Feel ya pain. I have a fair collection of cast iron and carbon steel cookware, and for many years have considered adding a wok. And every time I look at one, I wince at the thought of having to deal with seasoning and re-seasoning what would easily be the largest metal pan I would manage.