EP apex rod mod

CKTG has a large amount of Edge Pro products so we've dedicated a forum to questions on Edge Pro sharpening systems, accessories and techniques.
jrgreene1968

EP apex rod mod

Post by jrgreene1968 »

Hi, can anyone explain the rod mod for the apex? I watched the video that madrookie put out, but it was for the EP pro. I tried doing some research, and seems like the modification is different between the apex and pro. Any help is much appreciated
ronnie_suburban

Re: EP apex rod mod

Post by ronnie_suburban »

jrgreene1968 wrote: Mon Nov 30, 2020 6:55 pm Hi, can anyone explain the rod mod for the apex? I watched the video that madrookie put out, but it was for the EP pro. I tried doing some research, and seems like the modification is different between the apex and pro. Any help is much appreciated
Is it for convex edges?
=R=
Half of cooking is thinking about cooking.
jrgreene1968

Post by jrgreene1968 »

From what I read, it’s basically replacing the rods and end bearing to take out play, and to get to a lower angle. So it would be for regular edges I believe.
Radar53

Post by Radar53 »

Hi All, there's good news and bad news here.

The main bad news is that neither MadRookie (Pro) nor Sharpknives (Apex) are on the forums any longer and I'm pretty sure that all of their stock was sold. I think that they are a great piece of kit!

I'm not 100% sure but I think that there were some differences for the rods between the Apex and the Pro. Having said that I got a set for the Apex when they first came out and I also use them on my subsequent Pro quite satisfactorily. So I'd say they were interchangeable.

Lots of benefits, but they mainly address the "play" that the current pivot blocks seem to have or develop, where the stone rod "rattles" around in the original pivot block and also on a smaller scale it eliminates the slight angle change from the rotation of the pivot block on the main shaft. And yes you can get lower angles; I can reliably get less than 10dps for the Apex and lower again for the Pro.

In terms of convex grinds, yes they can do convex grinds, but I'm pretty sure that you could also do those without the Mod Rods. Some years back I designed a proof-of-concept rod arm which would do convex grinds, but there are some very clever guys around in Eastern Europe and other places and Hapstone have designed & produce a very elegant solution that you can find here <https://www.gritomatic.com/products/con ... 756f&_ss=r>. It's worth checking out the video.

Just to finish hopefully on some good news by suggesting that maybe Hapstone would have a suitable or easily adaptable rod / rod end combination that could be used for the EdgePro.

There is a large amount of discussion about this (both for the Pro and also the Apex) on the old forum, but it might take some digging to find it.

Any more question just come back and I'll try to answer them
Cheers Grant

Just because you're not paranoid doesn't mean they're not going to get you!!