Oil for Carbon Blades and Handles

Proper user technique and care is essential to enjoying these high performance knives to their fullest while keeping edge damage to a minimum. Learn how here.
jacmac422

Re: Oil for Carbon Blades and Handles

Post by jacmac422 »

I love Balistol for this. One caveat though is I have seen cocobolo darken, no other woods yet.
eddiesalita

Post by eddiesalita »

ImageAnything that polymerises is the go for handles imo. Tung oil, linseed oil, amd to a lesser extent camelia oil are the main 3 easy to access ones.

For blades going into storage I like lanolin. It leaves a fatty long lasting protection. For blades in use I don't reckon you can beat mineral oil. It won't combust, it's tasteless and odourless. Won't dry or go sticky, so is easy to wipe off. I have a small screw top container with a bit of a neck with a first aid dressing jammed into it (old soldering flux bottle). So when you take the lid off the lid the dressing pokes out a bit. It's got just enough oil on it to dampen it, but it won't run out when you invert it. Like a fat wick. You can wipe over your blades like a oily lipstick kinda thing. Old woodcarvers trick. You can actually buy the applicator bottled soaked in camelia oil from wood carving supply places.
download (10).jpeg
download (10).jpeg (11.75 KiB) Viewed 334 times
Kalaeb

Post by Kalaeb »

I have that exact same one. When it ran out I just added mineral oil. Works wonderfully for applying oil to knives.