Baking Much?

For questions/topics that don't fit into the other, more specific forums.
ronnie_suburban

Re: Baking Much?

Post by ronnie_suburban »

Kerneldrop wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 11:53 am Tangzhong is a game changer. Where I'm from we call it a water or milk roux.
I've tried the Yudane method, too....similar to mixing hot water cornbread.
When I make cinnamon rolls or King Cake I mix a pudding with the flour that is a spin-off of Tangzhong.
I usually fold the milk bread similar to Hawaiian rolls.
I agree and yeah, it goes by a variety of names. The technique lends a lot to the finished product. That's why I used it in my milk bread even though none of the recipes I sorted through included it. Seemed like a must for this type of bread. I'm certainly happy with the result. I used to bake a lot of naturally-leavened breads and I do love them but right now, I'm really enjoying exploring the world of yeasted breads. I have a few more on the runway that I'd like to try before it gets too hot out to feel good about having the oven on a lot.
Bob Z wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 12:28 pm Easter bread last night. Technically "Paska" but its more like japanese milk bread. This is a enriched bread with 3 eggs, half a stick of butter and some sugar. The enriching part gives it a long shelf life (but it usually goes fast). Next time I'll form the loaf like Ronnie did in his milk bread. This time I covered it with foil from the start so it wouldn't get too brown.
Nice. Did you make a tangzhong? Did the recipe call for milk, water or both?
=R=
Half of cooking is thinking about cooking.
Bob Z

Post by Bob Z »

ronnie_suburban wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 12:51 pm
Bob Z wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 12:28 pm Easter bread last night. Technically "Paska" but its more like japanese milk bread. This is a enriched bread with 3 eggs, half a stick of butter and some sugar. The enriching part gives it a long shelf life (but it usually goes fast). Next time I'll form the loaf like Ronnie did in his milk bread. This time I covered it with foil from the start so it wouldn't get too brown.
No tangzhong this recipe calls for milk powder and water to reconstitute it. I went thru 5 recipes which called for milk, scalded milk, and one with non fat milk powder which i used for this one. It appears the reason you "scald" milk is to kill or damage a certain protein which hampers gluten development. So the bread with scalded milk will have a better rise. And it does I found out by accident.
Lately Ive been using powdered milk in all all my recent breads as it makes them more tender and adds a bit of shelf life. The question might come up, should I get whole milk powder or non fat? Answer is non fat because you can find it in your grocery store vs difficult to find powdered whole milk (which wont have a long of a shelf life either).
XexoX

Post by XexoX »

Bob Z wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 1:28 pm
ronnie_suburban wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 12:51 pm
No tangzhong this recipe calls for milk powder and water to reconstitute it. I went thru 5 recipes which called for milk, scalded milk, and one with non fat milk powder which i used for this one. It appears the reason you "scald" milk is to kill or damage a certain protein which hampers gluten development. So the bread with scalded milk will have a better rise. And it does I found out by accident.
Lately Ive been using powdered milk in all all my recent breads as it makes them more tender and adds a bit of shelf life. The question might come up, should I get whole milk powder or non fat? Answer is non fat because you can find it in your grocery store vs difficult to find powdered whole milk (which wont have a long of a shelf life either).
Do you know if the powdered milk is "scalded" or not? And thanks, I always wondered why that was done. And how anyone ever figured it out in the first place.
You can blame Mr. Suburban for my being here. :lol:
The thing about quotes on the internet is you can not confirm their validity. -- Abraham Lincoln
All steels are equal if you can't keep them sharp. -- Jeff B.
Bob Z

Post by Bob Z »

XexoX wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 1:46 pm Do you know if the powdered milk is "scalded" or not? And thanks, I always wondered why that was done. And how anyone ever figured it out in the first place.
Is it scalded? well it seems the KA version is, but other stuff maybe not from what i read, however whether it is or not it still will give you a better rise than regular non skalded milk. what I found below:
There is no need to scald dry milk. The dehydration process uses heat to remove the water already. That is one of the main reasons for using dry milk to begin with. Bear in mind that dry milk is non fat. If your recipe calls for whole milk and you are substituting dry milk solids youmwill need to add melted butter or oil at a ratio of 4% of then volume of dry milk.
As much as i want to get some KA stuff and dont mind the price i do mind its 11 bucks to ship a 12oz of powder so ill stick with the bulk foods powdered milk i get. https://shop.kingarthurbaking.com/items ... l-dry-milk
Kekoa

Post by Kekoa »

My first attempt at home made pizza! It uses the same dough I used for my loaves recently. I'm sick today but I felt the urge to try this, so I just went simple in order to get myself used to the idea of how to make pizza. Could have maybe done more cheese, and the bread is slightly chewy for a pizza crust, I think I could do a slightly different dough recipe to fix that, but all and all despite how quick I threw it together it was still quite yummy.
Attachments
homeMadePizza.JPG
Bob Z

Post by Bob Z »

Kekoa wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 8:08 pm My first attempt at home made pizza! It uses the same dough I used for my loaves recently. I'm sick today but I felt the urge to try this, so I just went simple in order to get myself used to the idea of how to make pizza. Could have maybe done more cheese, and the bread is slightly chewy for a pizza crust, I think I could do a slightly different dough recipe to fix that, but all and all despite how quick I threw it together it was still quite yummy.
Pizza is always wonderful and brings me a smile!
XexoX

Post by XexoX »

Due to a medical procedure early tomorrow morning, I've been fasting for most of 2 days. I've spent too much time on this thread and youtube, drooling. :oops: :roll:
The thing about quotes on the internet is you can not confirm their validity. -- Abraham Lincoln
trancher

Post by trancher »

Kekoa wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 8:08 pm My first attempt at home made pizza! It uses the same dough I used for my loaves recently. I'm sick today but I felt the urge to try this, so I just went simple in order to get myself used to the idea of how to make pizza. Could have maybe done more cheese, and the bread is slightly chewy for a pizza crust, I think I could do a slightly different dough recipe to fix that, but all and all despite how quick I threw it together it was still quite yummy.
Looks great, Kekoa. Pizza really should be a food group unto its own self. Morale food can be powerful medicine - nice prescription. Feel better quick too, man.
XexoX wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 10:08 pm Due to a medical procedure early tomorrow morning, I've been fasting for most of 2 days. I've spent too much time on this thread and youtube, drooling. :oops: :roll:
Hope all goes well, Xexo! Afterwards, hopefully you can partake and not just sit drooling on the sidelines.
XexoX

Post by XexoX »

XexoX wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 10:08 pm Due to a medical procedure early tomorrow morning, I've been fasting for most of 2 days. I've spent too much time on this thread and youtube, drooling. :oops: :roll:
Well, I'm still alive. The initial report is good, but I meet with the doc on May 7th to get the final results and to schedule my gall bladder removal laparoscopy. Then I can start cooking/baking all the good stuff once again!
TheLegalRazor

Post by TheLegalRazor »

XexoX wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 5:46 pm
Well, I'm still alive. The initial report is good, but I meet with the doc on May 7th to get the final results and to schedule my gall bladder removal laparoscopy. Then I can start cooking/baking all the good stuff once again!
Best wishes for a successful and speedy recovery!
Ricardo
Kekoa

Post by Kekoa »

Oh, sorry to hear that you'll be needing surgery. My mom has been having gall bladder attacks. Because of various other health issues, we were not too quick to want to have it removed, but unfortunately all of our attempts at preventative measures have not been fully effective, so it is looking like surgery is inevitable at this point.

Wishing you a quick uneventful recovery.
XexoX

Post by XexoX »

Kekoa wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 4:51 pm
Oh, sorry to hear that you'll be needing surgery. My mom has been having gall bladder attacks. Because of various other health issues, we were not too quick to want to have it removed, but unfortunately all of our attempts at preventative measures have not been fully effective, so it is looking like surgery is inevitable at this point.

Wishing you a quick uneventful recovery.
Thank you. I want this done before it requires major surgery. A Laparoscopy is much easier to recovery from.
Kekoa

Post by Kekoa »

I made a couple of nice looking free standing loaves this morning. Also had a turkey sandwich on some sandwich bread I made yesterday.
freeStandingLoaves.JPG
homeMadeSandiwhichBread.JPG
Ut_ron

Post by Ut_ron »

Good looking loafs. Bet they taste great.
Last edited by Ut_ron on Fri May 03, 2024 6:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Home cook that enjoys sharp knives.
Bob Z

Post by Bob Z »

Kekoa wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 2:04 pm I made a couple of nice looking free standing loaves this morning. Also had a turkey sandwich on some sandwich bread I made yesterday.
freeStandingLoaves.JPG
Wow they look like kaiser rolls Thats inspiring me to make some!
ronnie_suburban

Post by ronnie_suburban »

Another take on the KA Cinnamon Crisp Coffee Cake. Hadn't made this one since last fall and we were really in the mood for it . . .

Cinnamon Crisp Coffee Cake

Vignetted View
Getting better at setting that line of filling between the layers. It's almost level this time. :lol:
=R=
Half of cooking is thinking about cooking.
Bob Z

Post by Bob Z »

ronnie_suburban wrote: Sun May 05, 2024 2:26 pm Another take on the KA Cinnamon Crisp Coffee Cake. Hadn't made this one since last fall and we were really in the mood for it . . .

Cinnamon Crisp Coffee Cake

Vignetted View
Getting better at setting that line of filling between the layers. It's almost level this time. :lol:
That looks great Ronnie, I'm going to have to make some soon.
Bob Z

Post by Bob Z »

Last few days left of spring here with hotter days ahead making me not want to bake as much.
I made a quiche lorraine with homemade pie crust. I get anxiety bout pie crust since i make it so infrequently.. And then i tried to make sweet bread with a no knead overnight formula that i started yesterday which i wont do again but i salvaged it to look like this. we shall taste it in a bit..
Attachments
IMG_4682.jpg
IMG_4681.jpg