Baking Much?

For questions/topics that don't fit into the other, more specific forums.
ronnie_suburban

Re: Baking Much?

Post by ronnie_suburban »

Going back once again to my friend's cook-along from East, she suggested we try the Korean Egg Bread (page 208). It's totally out of my comfort zone -- which is always fun -- and it looked damned good, so I decided to give it a try . . .

Mise En Place & Hitohira TD Blue #2 (Stainless Clad) Kurouchi Gyuto, 210mm
Grated aged cheddar, 'spice' plate (salt, baking powder, gochugaru, pimenton, cayenne pepper), confetti'd parsley, unsalted/melted/cooled butter, whole milk, raw eggs, peeled/hard-boiled eggs and self-rising flour.

I didn't have any self-rising flour, so I made my own, adding baking soda, baking powder and fine sea salt to some AP flour. The recipe calls for spicy pimenton but I only had non-spicy, so I used 50% of it and 50% cayenne pepper. Assembly is pretty much what one might expect. Combine all the dry ingredients in one bowl. Combine the milk, butter and raw eggs in another. Once the wet stuff is homogenized, you add that mixture to the dry mixture to create the batter. The twist is the hard-boiled eggs. They actually go into the loaf pan whole, placed end to end, about halfway down into the batter. The idea is that they will end up in the middle of the loaf, and that each slice of the finished loaf will showcase a slice of the egg. Remember, that's just the idea . . . :lol:

From there, into a 400F oven and bake it for ~55 minutes or until it's brown and an inserted toothpick comes out clean. After the bake, let it rest in the loaf pan for 5 minutes, then turn it out onto a cooling rack until it's ready for slicing (Sodha doesn't not specify how long on that) . . .

Korean Egg Bread
Mine came out a tad lighter in color than the example pic in the cookbook but it had a nice crust and smelled fantastic.

Sliced
Delicious and very fun to make. Clearly, I pushed the hard-boiled eggs a bit too far into the loaf pan. I was worried they wouldn't be covered otherwise but I didn't account for the rise. Ah, yes. The rise. In any case, if I were to make this again (almost certainly will), I'd take most of that pesky parsley out of there and sub in some chives. I'd also love to make a yeasted version of this because I think it'd be even better but I'm pretty sure that's beyond me.
=R=
Half of cooking is thinking about cooking.
XexoX

Post by XexoX »

ronnie_suburban wrote: Sun Nov 12, 2023 4:09 pm ... any case, if I were to make this again (almost certainly will), I'd take most of that pesky parsley out of there and sub in some chives. I'd also love to make a yeasted version of this because I think it'd be even better but I'm pretty sure that's beyond me.
Maybe some shallots from making shallot oil. Crispy ones.

I doubt that very much. Your talents are many and varied.
You can blame Mr. Suburban for my being here. :lol:
The thing about quotes on the internet is you can not confirm their validity. -- Abraham Lincoln
All steels are equal if you can't keep them sharp. -- Jeff B.
Kekoa

Post by Kekoa »

That sounds pretty interesting Ronnie, I've started experimenting with bread over the last so many months for the first time and now I kinda want to try some of this. I'm not sure about the spice selection, but having hard boiled eggs in a bread has me intrigued!

Also, I'm not sure it would be that hard to do as a yeast bread. You may just be able to substitute the baking soda mix for some yeast and let it rise before baking maybe. Might have to experiment with the amount of yeast, but I am guessing you could get it pretty close without many tries. Course I could be totally wrong since I'm no bread expert, he he. :?
Jeff B

Post by Jeff B »

ronnie_suburban wrote: Sun Nov 12, 2023 4:09 pm ...It's totally out of my comfort zone -- which is always fun...
Translated = "Yeah, I nailed it"
If God wanted me to be a vegetarian he wouldn't have made animals taste so good.
ronnie_suburban

For no reasons other than it looked good and seemed do-able, I decided to give Claire Saffitz's Pecan Slab Pie a try.

Claire Saffitz Cooks Her Ideal Thanksgiving Start to Finish | NYT Cooking
The Pecan Slab Pie is featured at the 26:08 mark of the video.

My wife and I always joke that if a dessert recipe extends beyond the front and back of one printed page, we n00bs should avoid it. This one was nearly 3 pages but still, broken into individual steps, it seemed reasonable enough. So, we decided to give it a shot. I'm glad we did because it seems to have turned out great . . .

Pecan Slab Pie
It looks great and smells great but as of now, unfortunately, I have no idea how it is. Only made 1 and can't cut into it until our big meal tomorrow but the anticipation is killing me! :lol:
=R=
Bob Z

Post by Bob Z »

ronnie_suburban wrote: Wed Nov 22, 2023 7:17 pm For no reasons other than it looked good and seemed do-able, I decided to give Claire Saffitz's Pecan Slab Pie a try.

It looks great and smells great but as of now, unfortunately, I have no idea how it is. Only made 1 and can't cut into it until our big meal tomorrow but the anticipation is killing me! :lol:
Looks great Ronnie, bet its good too!
ronnie_suburban

Bob Z wrote: Thu Nov 23, 2023 3:58 am
ronnie_suburban wrote: Wed Nov 22, 2023 7:17 pm For no reasons other than it looked good and seemed do-able, I decided to give Claire Saffitz's Pecan Slab Pie a try.

Looks great Ronnie, bet its good too!
Thanks, Bob. I think it'll end up being good because the crust, which I've made many times, looks right and the filling, which I tasted before I baked it, was delicious even when it was raw.

My experienced baking friend suggested cutting it up into bars and putting them on a platter so that I could taste a piece right away. I have to admit I was tempted but that also felt like cheating, so I've decided to wait it out and bring it to our gathering intact. :lol:
=R=
Bob Z

Post by Bob Z »

Light rye today! Overnight "poolish", mixed this morning and by the late afternoon they were ready to bake. Bit of toasted caraway seeds and some deli rye flavoring from KA and they turned out nice. One will be sacrificed to make fondue.
Attachments
IMG_4187.jpg
ex1580

Post by ex1580 »

Honey cake for breakfast? Don't mind of I do! There was also a strawberry compote which didn't make the picture. I'm surprised the cake managed to stick around long enough for the picture, haha. :D
Attachments
PXL_20231220_132047392.PORTRAIT-min.jpg
Sam
atang

Post by atang »

Bob Z wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2023 11:59 pm Light rye today! Overnight "poolish", mixed this morning and by the late afternoon they were ready to bake. Bit of toasted caraway seeds and some deli rye flavoring from KA and they turned out nice. One will be sacrificed to make fondue.
Those rye look fantastic!
Kekoa

Post by Kekoa »

Well my health has taken a bit of a slump lately but I have been able to do a bit of bread experimentation still and recently I made a breakthrough with my sourdough! I had kind of given up trying to get my sourdough to rise properly without adding yeast after numerous failed attempts earlier this year. After a bunch of tests my only conclusion was that it would have to be either that it wasn't warm enough while rising, but I did everything I could to eliminate that as a possibility and still ended up with dense bread, which left me thinking the only thing that could be wrong was the water. Much of our water has a certain amount of chlorine in it, which can kill the yeast in a starter, so I have been using bottled "spring water," but I concluded that water must also have chlorine in it and bought some distilled water to try. Bam! Problem solved. I got sourdough that rose properly without adding any packaged yeast. I am pretty happy that after months of experimenting I finally located and remedied the problem. I'll have to get a picture next time I make it.

Next experiment will be to make a low hydration stiff starter without using any yeast to fast track making it. I'll let it grow naturally, which could take a week to fully develop.
Bob Z

Post by Bob Z »

I use bottled water for mine and it seems to work fine, but the thing that worked for me was the temperature. Mix temp needs to be right, then bulk fermentation should be right. I usually let mine proof in the fridge overnight
final temp is derived by adding up the ingredient temps: (pardon me if you already know this)

My kitchen was about 67 degrees at this time:
Water: 67
Mixer : 20 (if you use kitchen aid like me it can add 20 degrees)
Starter: 72 (starter came out of the sour dourgh proofer)
Flour: 67
You add em up and get:
226, and the ideal temp is 225. Pretty much all you can easily change here is the water temp.
First rise should be at 72 or more!

One last thing, If the hydration level is too high or you haven't kneaded it/given it enough folds you may not have enough dough strength to support a higher rise. I seem to do best at like 71% hydration.

Happy Baking!
aporigine

Post by aporigine »

Kekoa wrote: Sat Dec 23, 2023 3:44 pm Well my health has taken a bit of a slump lately but I have been able to do a bit of bread experimentation still and recently I made a breakthrough with my sourdough! I had kind of given up trying to get my sourdough to rise properly without adding yeast after numerous failed attempts earlier this year. After a bunch of tests my only conclusion was that it would have to be either that it wasn't warm enough while rising, but I did everything I could to eliminate that as a possibility and still ended up with dense bread, which left me thinking the only thing that could be wrong was the water. Much of our water has a certain amount of chlorine in it, which can kill the yeast in a starter, so I have been using bottled "spring water," but I concluded that water must also have chlorine in it and bought some distilled water to try. Bam! Problem solved. I got sourdough that rose properly without adding any packaged yeast. I am pretty happy that after months of experimenting I finally located and remedied the problem. I'll have to get a picture next time I make it.

Next experiment will be to make a low hydration stiff starter without using any yeast to fast track making it. I'll let it grow naturally, which could take a week to fully develop.
If you’re worried about chlorine, half a tab (so 250 mg) of vitamin C in your water for an hour or so and you should be good to go.
“The knife is the most permanent, the most immortal, the most ingenious of all man’s creations.”
- Yevgeny Zamyatin
Bob Z

Post by Bob Z »

Pain De Mie time! Not sure what that translates to but this is basically enriched sandwich bread. I made it in Pullman pans, one uncovered like a regular bread pan, and the other covered with the lid (pan on left). The flat top is the one I used the lid on. Wow was my wifes fav bread I ever made so far. These are 9x4 loaf pans with a link here: https://www.amazon.com/USA-Pan-Bakeware ... WPCXF?th=1
If you make this and follow video, the bake time is 15 minutes at 425, then 25-30 mins at 350 (video says 375)
IMG_4238.jpg
XexoX

Post by XexoX »

Bob Z wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2024 10:26 pm Pain De Mie time! Not sure what that translates to but this is basically enriched sandwich bread. I made it in Pullman pans, one uncovered like a regular bread pan, and the other covered with the lid (pan on left). The flat top is the one I used the lid on. Wow was my wifes fav bread I ever made so far. These are 9x4 loaf pans with a link here: https://www.amazon.com/USA-Pan-Bakeware ... WPCXF?th=1
If you make this and follow video, the bake time is 15 minutes at 425, then 25-30 mins at 350 (video says 375)
IMG_4238.jpg
That bread looks great. I'll have to get my sourdough going again. Thanks for the recommendation.
You can blame Mr. Suburban for my being here. :lol:
The thing about quotes on the internet is you can not confirm their validity. -- Abraham Lincoln
All steels are equal if you can't keep them sharp. -- Jeff B.
aporigine

Post by aporigine »

Vanillekipferl! Austrian recipe hazelnut shortbread crescents dusted with vanilla sugar. Smelled like Christmas in the oven. I’m delighted to report that the first bite transported me to circa 1970. Just like mama used to make!

The first batches I had trouble with the cookies crumbling during shaping. One morning the kitchen was quite cold, below 50, and the cookies were much easier to shape!
various stages of production
various stages of production
Cookie monster crack!
Cookie monster crack!
“The knife is the most permanent, the most immortal, the most ingenious of all man’s creations.”
- Yevgeny Zamyatin
ronnie_suburban

Bob Z wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2024 10:26 pm Pain De Mie time! Not sure what that translates to but this is basically enriched sandwich bread.
Looks good, Bob. It's basically a square bread, usually baked in a Pullman, that is mostly crumb (aka mie) with a very light crust.
=R=
Bob Z

Post by Bob Z »

Today I tried out King Arthurs "Mini Focaccia" recipe. I made and let the dough rise the night before (bulk fermentation) and then into tightly covered pans for slow overnight proofing in the fridge. I made a double batch of dough then split it after first rise which wasn't as easy as regular lower hydration dough so next time I'll make individual batches. My dimples kinda disappeared and not as pretty as in the video but this was super easy and hopefully they make great beds for my upcoming Eggs Benedict.
These were in the 8x5 bread pans like in the vid and took about 17 minutes at 450 baked on a steel. For those of you hesitant to try out making some bread try this one.
focaccia small batch.jpg
Here is the Vid:
ronnie_suburban

Not the kind of thing that's normally on my radar, these triple chocolate cookies by John Kanell looked good and relatively easy. He calls them brownie cookies and I can see why because they're crackly on the exterior and fudgy underneath. But since they contain chocolate in 3 forms -- chips, dutch-process cocoa powder and cut-up/melted bar -- I like my name better. Like most baking projects, they also took me my outside of my comfort zone in a variety of ways, which is always fun . . .

Triple Chocolate Cookies

Again, this is some real basic stuff for people who bake on the regular. For me, it was a bit of a challenge but still, a relatively easy process that delivered a very high reward to effort ratio. I used Droste cocoa powder, Guittard semi-sweet chips (46%) and Guittard bittersweet bar (64%). That combo wound being just about perfect for my palate. Very chocolatey. Not too bitter, not too sweet and a long, pleasant finish. Under the lightly crisp exterior, some nice, fudgy texture. They spread a bit more than I would have liked, so next time I'll chill the dough a bit longer before forming the balls. I might also add a touch more flour but I really don't want to mess with the texture, so if I do, I'll only up it by like 10%. I may also consider raising the oven temp by 25 degrees so that they set faster.
Last edited by ronnie_suburban on Mon Jan 29, 2024 5:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
=R=
gladius

Post by gladius »

ronnie_suburban wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2024 3:39 pm Image
Triple Chocolate Cookies
Got Milk?