Baking Much?

For questions/topics that don't fit into the other, more specific forums.
ronnie_suburban

Re: Baking Much?

Post by ronnie_suburban »

I enjoyed Claire Saffitz's banana bread recipe so much, I bought bananas and let them brown just so I could make it again . . .

Almond Butter-Infused Banana Bread & Kohetsu 1K6 Bread Knife 240mm
Again, was very happy with the outcome, especially the swirly business on top, which baked up in a more defined way this time around. For that part of the recipe, I used solid coconut oil instead of melted and it seemed to have a favorable impact.
=R=
Half of cooking is thinking about cooking.
ronnie_suburban

I'd just been waiting for the arrival of fresh chives. That happened this week so I went, once again, to Claire's Saffitz's Dessert Person for another recipe; this time on the savory side. These Pull-Apart Sour Cream And Chive Rolls looked great, so I figured I'd give them a try . . .

Mise En Place & Konosuke HD2 Petty, 120mm
Bread flour, kosher salt, granulated sugar, sour cream, chives, milk for proofing the yeast, active dry yeast, eggs, milk for the dough, unsalted butter (half for the dough, half for the baking pan & post-bake brushing).

This is pretty straightforward. The only wrinkles are the inclusion of a tangzhon and, in order to preserve the integrity of the chives, they're folded in after the dough has been made, allowed to rise once and partially formed into the rolls. After the folding, the dough is rolled into a large rectangle, cut into 24 ~equally-sized pieces, shaped by hand into balls and placed into a heavily buttered baking pan. From there, a second, ~45-minute rise, then brush them with beaten egg, sprinkle with cracked pepper and flaky salt and bake for ~25 minutes @ 375F . . .

Pull Apart Sour Cream & Chive Rolls
When they come out of the oven, additional butter is brushed on the tops.

A Closer Look
Here, you can kind of see their pull-apartiness. These were great. Pillowy-tender, aromatic, buttery and delicious. Just a fantastic result, especially for an inaugural run.

A friend recently told me that if a cookbook contains even 2 successful recipes, he considers that book a great one. By that measure, Dessert Person should be counted as a Hall Of Famer. This is the 4th recipe I've made from this book (flaky all-butter pie crust/pecan slab pie, oat pecan brittle cookies and almond butter-infused banana bread) and I'm 4 for 4. Each one of these has been nothing short of phenomenal. They're not perfectly written nor without some minor errata but they always produce an outstanding result.

Embedding youtube videos here still appears to not be fully functional but for anyone who's interested here's a link to Claire's video . . .

Pull-Apart Sour Cream And Chive Rolls
Last edited by ronnie_suburban on Sun Mar 24, 2024 11:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
=R=
Jeff B

Post by Jeff B »

ronnie_suburban wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2024 8:27 pm ...Embedding youtube videos here still appears to not be fully functional but for anyone who's interested here's a link to Claire's video . . .

You just gotta know what you're doin'. Those rolls look fabulous! You got the baking side down, I'll help with the embedded videos... :P

If God wanted me to be a vegetarian he wouldn't have made animals taste so good.
ronnie_suburban

Jeff B wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2024 8:38 pm
ronnie_suburban wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2024 8:27 pm ...Embedding youtube videos here still appears to not be fully functional but for anyone who's interested here's a link to Claire's video . . .

You just gotta know what you're doin'. Those rolls look fabulous! You got the baking side down, I'll help with the embedded videos... :P

Thanks! They were worth the effort.

Unfortunately, what you posted just displays a blank screen on my desktop and on my phone. I know how to embed and I can see the BB code you posted when I quote your post, so I know I'm doing it properly. That feature stopped working for several of us a few weeks back. I posted about it on another thread, too. Thanks for trying, though.
=R=
Jeff B

Post by Jeff B »

ronnie_suburban wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2024 8:47 pm

Unfortunately, what you posted just displays a blank screen on my desktop and on my phone. I know how to embed and I can see the BB code you posted when I quote your post, so I know I'm doing it properly. That feature stopped working for several of us a few weeks back. I posted about it on another thread, too. Thanks for trying, though.
Hhmmm...really curious why I can see them but not you and others. I would surmise it's my old ass computer w/ laxed security protocols or something. My browser shows this site as not being secure in the address window. I think it might be referring to my wallet though... :ugeek:
And those rolls do look damn fabulous!
If God wanted me to be a vegetarian he wouldn't have made animals taste so good.
ronnie_suburban

Jeff B wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2024 8:54 pm
ronnie_suburban wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2024 8:47 pm

Hhmmm...really curious why I can see them but not you and others. I would surmise it's my old ass computer w/ laxed security protocols or something. My browser shows this site as not being secure in the address window. I think it might be referring to my wallet though... :ugeek:
And those rolls do look damn fabulous!
Yeah, it's another solid recipe. Not even I could screw it up. :lol:

The youtube issue is weird because it's happening for me on multiple machines, multiple operating systems, multiple locations, multiple browsers, and over wifi and cellular. Seems that no matter how I connect, it no longer works. :(
=R=
XexoX

Post by XexoX »

I too can see the embedded videos, Sir Jeff.

And you are right, those rolls look wunnerful, wunnerful!
You can blame Mr. Suburban for my being here. :lol:
The thing about quotes on the internet is you can not confirm their validity. -- Abraham Lincoln
All steels are equal if you can't keep them sharp. -- Jeff B.
trancher

Post by trancher »

ronnie_suburban wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2024 9:04 pm
Yeah, it's another solid recipe. Not even I could screw it up. :lol:
I'd stuff my sweatshirt pockets full of those glorious buns, and snack on them throughout the day! :D Pro results on those, Ronnie.
ronnie_suburban wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2024 9:04 pm The youtube issue is weird because it's happening for me on multiple machines, multiple operating systems, multiple locations, multiple browsers, and over wifi and cellular. Seems that no matter how I connect, it no longer works. :(
Fear not, it's still not just you. Maybe this will get corrected here soon for us outcasts. ;)
Ut_ron

Post by Ut_ron »

I unfortunately can’t see the videos (iPhone)
🤷🏻‍♂️
Home cook that enjoys sharp knives.
trancher

Post by trancher »

This is not a recent project, but I came across it when looking through some old photos on my computer and thought I'd post it.

This was a triple layered cake, the last one I got to make in fact, as I can't eat this kind of stuff anymore. Everything was made from scratch, including the two kinds of icing. I remember purchasing a piping kit and this was the 3rd (and last time) I got to play around with it.

Best Ever Chocolate Cake, Original Recipe (Gemma Stafford)
Triple Layer Cake.JPG
XexoX

Post by XexoX »

trancher wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 8:05 am This is not a recent project, but I came across it when looking through some old photos on my computer and thought I'd post it.

This was a triple layered cake, the last one I got to make in fact, as I can't eat this kind of stuff anymore. Everything was made from scratch, including the two kinds of icing. I remember purchasing a piping kit and this was the 3rd (and last time) I got to play around with it.

Triple Layer Cake.JPG
Lovely cake. I'm sure it tasted as good as it looks.
The thing about quotes on the internet is you can not confirm their validity. -- Abraham Lincoln
ronnie_suburban

trancher wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 8:05 am This is not a recent project, but I came across it when looking through some old photos on my computer and thought I'd post it.

Triple Layer Cake.JPG
Looks great! I've only ever made one frosted cake and it looked like it got run over by a horse and buggy! :lol: Yours is Professional Grade.

And yes, I understand. I'm way more interested in baking these days than my body can tolerate. Happily, I have plenty of outlets to which I can offload my endeavors. That helps keep me going.
=R=
Kekoa

Post by Kekoa »

Oh, nice cake! I have never done anything that fancy, but I did help my Mom make most of the fancy cakes she has done for my kid siblings' birthday parties. Her record setting elaborate cake was for a Moana birthday party. That one literally involved my older brother doing pre-vis on the computer... :lol:

I'll have to see if I can find a picture maybe.
atang

Post by atang »

1000 lemon poppyseed muffins.
Attachments
EB8BED08-43F0-425D-8712-5E2ED8734841.jpeg
ronnie_suburban

Baked another batch of Claire Saffitz's Pull-Apart Sour Cream & Chive rolls to take to our family's Easter gathering later today . . .

A tisket, a tasket . . . :D
=R=
Ut_ron

Post by Ut_ron »

Those rolls look delicious ;)
ronnie_suburban

Ut_ron wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2024 11:54 am Those rolls look delicious ;)
Thanks. It's a super solid recipe. And do you see how every roll is a slightly different size? I meant to do that! :lol:
=R=
Ut_ron

Post by Ut_ron »

ronnie_suburban wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2024 11:57 am
Ut_ron wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2024 11:54 am Those rolls look delicious ;)
Thanks. It's a super solid recipe. And do you see how every roll is a slightly different size? I meant to do that! :lol:
Everyone gets to choose the size they want :roll:
XexoX

Post by XexoX »

I found the recipe for Pull-Apart Sour Cream and Chive Rolls By Claire Saffitz at CBS, and not behind a paywall. In case anyone is interested.
Bob Z

Post by Bob Z »

I took a shot at making Easter bread (paska version). Was too chicken to fool around with the decorations since I didnt know if it would turn out how I liked it (from eons ago memories of my Gma's version). Most of the recipes were kinda vague about measurements but I took the plunge and make a double batch. Baked one in the traditional souffle type bowl and other in a loaf pan, which i covered half way thru to keep the top from browning too much. These baked at 350 for about 40 mins. They tasted great!
Attachments
easter bread paska.jpg