Baking Much?

For questions/topics that don't fit into the other, more specific forums.
XexoX

Re: Baking Much?

Post by XexoX »

jknife wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 9:47 am
XexoX wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2024 5:44 pm
jknife wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2024 10:23 am This is my first foray into the "Baking Much" thread! It is also the first time I have made english muffins.
I have decided to try and make the ultimate breakfast sandwich and since there are no bakeries that make english muffins in my area I had to make them myself. I have to say that I did a pretty good job of it but there is always room for improvement.
Does anyone out there have a go to english muffin recipe you would be willing to share?
Hay Mr. Knife! Here is my mom's recipe for English muffins.
english muffins.jpg
Also, here is a link to Classic English Muffins Recipe By Claire Saffitz. Mr. Suburban lately seems to be a fan of Ms. Saffitz and her recipes. I haven't tried it myself.
Thank you Mr. XexoX and please pass my thanks on to your wonderful mother.
It was actually Claire"s recipe that I used for my first attempt. I have since purchased her book "Desert Person" for my wife who is the real baker in the family.
Well, scratch Claire's recipe off then! Heard from mom this morning. It is a half cup of oil/butter/margarine. She used margarine back in the 1970s as it was easier to measure (One stick I think) and we were poor so butter wasn't an option. You should see some of her yeast bread type recipes. Flour amount is "enough". I'll pass along your thanks. Do let me know how they turn out, if you use her recipe. :mrgreen:
Now I'll have to figure out how to add that "cup" to the jpg!
You can blame Mr. Suburban for my being here. :lol:
The thing about quotes on the internet is you can not confirm their validity. -- Abraham Lincoln
All steels are equal if you can't keep them sharp. -- Jeff B.
taz575

Post by taz575 »

english muffins.jpg
Bob Z

Post by Bob Z »

Fresh out of the oven!
Sourdough rye boule and a Pullman loaf. The boule turned out to be a beauty!
73083691935__307B4313-7150-476C-9230-3820D1EBE0BA.jpg
Attachments
IMG_4402.jpg
mini me.jpg
jknife

Post by jknife »

Bob Z wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2024 11:34 pm
jknife wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2024 10:23 am This is my first foray into the "Baking Much" thread! It is also the first time I have made english muffins.
I have decided to try and make the ultimate breakfast sandwich and since there are no bakeries that make english muffins in my area I had to make them myself. I have to say that I did a pretty good job of it but there is always room for improvement.
Does anyone out there have a go to english muffin recipe you would be willing to share?
I too have been on the "Ultimate Bfast Sammy" trail for over a year now. I haven't made english muffins for years now since for just 2 of us, there were just too many in the recipes. (freeze em? no way). But I discovered "Bays" english muffins. they are in the fridge section usually near the eggs or butter etc. I found they were the absolute best bought muffins.
So far have tried: eggs benedict (our fav) on muffins (but graduated to focaccia lately), egg mcmuffins, breakfast croissants with scrambled eggs like they have a jack in the box(ultimate bfast sandwich), breakfast burritos and lastly McGriddles...which i couldn't duplicate. Yeh lots of copycat stuff but McD's uses proprietary chunks of maple syrup crystals specifically designed to melt at a certain temperature and you can add maple syrup, maple syrup powder or nuggets and it just doesn't come out the same so I gave up.
Wow I just got sucked into a time warp! I had totally forgotten about "Bay's". My mom used to buy them when I was a kid and we lived near Philadelphia. I think I have to do some research and see if we can get them north of the border. Thanks!
The pig is a magical animal. It takes vegetables and turns them into bacon.
ronnie_suburban

Post by ronnie_suburban »

I've had some recent adventures in brittle-making. Not baking per se, it's a component in a cookie recipe with which I'm absolutely in love, so I've been making it fairly regularly lately. It's interesting to me, especially when using only sugar (no corn syrup), how many ways this seemingly simple thing can go off the rails. The process can be vexing, especially for a non-confectioner like myself.

Here's my basic set of ingredients . . .

Mise En Place
Granulated sugar, water, roasted pecan halves, baking soda & salt, unsalted butter.

I don't think the recipe I use is typical (for one thing, it doesn't call for any corn syrup). I assume this is because it's mainly intended to be used as a component in the cookie recipe. However, from what I can tell, the process is fairly standard. Heat sugar, butter, water and salt in a saucepan, swirling occasionally to combine. To prevent crystallization, avoid stirring. When it reaches ~290F add the nuts and stir to thoroughly combine. Once it reaches 300F -- this temperature is critical to achieve the necessary hard crack stage on the sugar -- add the baking soda, turn off the heat and stir again to combine. From there, pour it out onto a parchment, flatten it out and let it cool.

If you get it right, it'll be a contiguous slab of glossy, nut-studded glory . . .

Pecan Brittle
Left slab with chopped nuts. Right slab with mostly intact halves.

Now, it seems, there are infinite ways to get it wrong and I've found at least a few. Maybe relevant and maybe not, it's only ever gone off the rails for me when I tried to scale up the recipe. That suggests to me that some part(s) of the recipe are not truly scalable (not ruling out use error, though). My guess is that it's the baking soda but tbh, I have no idea. A couple of times I've ended up with this result . . .

Lady Nuts
Not remotely sure what happened here. The only difference between my successful attempts and this one (that I can identify) was the doubling of the recipe. Was that the issue or was it something else that I botched? This looks like crystallization to me but until the baking soda went in, it looked identical to my previous, successful attempts.

Another time, after I experimented with the process by adding the butter later in the cook, I ran into some issues. After a short time, I could smell the butter browning hard and knew I needed to kill the heat before it burned. It hadn't reached 300F, so I knew it wasn't going to be right . . .

Pecan Candy Slab
Unlike the Lady Nuts, this one came out in one piece but the texture is what I'd describe as semi-soft. It's not as silky as a praline (missing the milk component) but it's pretty close. Not gritty, not grainy but certainly not brittle, either.

The silver lining is that even the non-brittles are delicious in their own right. The lady nuts are crunchy and sweet, with a complex roasted finish. They're great out of hand and would be amazing sprinkled on -- or mixed into -- some vanilla ice cream. The slab is also tasty, with a surprisingly pleasant mouthfeel. Still, I don't need pounds of surplus sugary snacks sitting around the house. I'm already making the cookies and that's enough.

Definitely curious about my fails and hoping someone can shed some light on why they might have happened. In the future, I'd like to scale this recipe up without worrying about the outcome.
=R=
Half of cooking is thinking about cooking.
Kekoa

Post by Kekoa »

Sour Cream Coffee Cake... success!!! :)
sourCreamCoffeeCake.JPG
First time attempt at this recipe turned out great, the whole family loved it!
trancher

Post by trancher »

Kekoa wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2024 9:54 pm Sour Cream Coffee Cake... success!!! :)

sourCreamCoffeeCake.JPG

First time attempt at this recipe turned out great, the whole family loved it!
Looks fantastic, Kekoa.

This one have any nuts in it?
Bensbites

Post by Bensbites »

It's time to use the starter in the back of the fridge...
IMG_6818.jpeg
Ut_ron

Post by Ut_ron »

Bensbites wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 10:16 am It's time to use the starter in the back of the fridge... IMG_6818.jpeg
Love that knife handle 👍.
Home cook that enjoys sharp knives.
Kekoa

Post by Kekoa »

trancher wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2024 10:33 pm Looks fantastic, Kekoa.

This one have any nuts in it?
I didn't end up with any nuts in it this round even though the recipe did have them. The only nuts I had on hand were cashews which didn't seem like the right flavor, and one of my sisters is allergic to them. If I had walnuts or pecans I probably would have tried those, but it was very good without them so I'm happy.

Next time I do coffee cake I think I'll try an apple one.
Kekoa

Post by Kekoa »

Bensbites wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 10:16 am It's time to use the starter in the back of the fridge... IMG_6818.jpeg
Hey Ben, I see your maker's mark on the side of that bread knife! Is that a serrated knife of your own making?
STPepper9

Post by STPepper9 »

ronnie_suburban wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2024 12:51 pm I've had some recent adventures in brittle-making. Not baking per se, it's a component in a cookie recipe with which I'm absolutely in love, so I've been making it fairly regularly lately. It's interesting to me, especially when using only sugar (no corn syrup), how many ways this seemingly simple thing can go off the rails. The process can be vexing, especially for a non-confectioner like myself.

Mise En Place
Granulated sugar, water, roasted pecan halves, baking soda & salt, unsalted butter.

I don't think the recipe I use is typical (for one thing, it doesn't call for any corn syrup). I assume this is because it's mainly intended to be used as a component in the cookie recipe. However, from what I can tell, the process is fairly standard. Heat sugar, butter, water and salt in a saucepan, swirling occasionally to combine. To prevent crystallization, avoid stirring. When it reaches ~290F add the nuts and stir to thoroughly combine. Once it reaches 300F -- this temperature is critical to achieve the necessary hard crack stage on the sugar -- add the baking soda, turn off the heat and stir again to combine. From there, pour it out onto a parchment, flatten it out and let it cool.

If you get it right, it'll be a contiguous slab of glossy, nut-studded glory . . .

Pecan Brittle

Now, it seems, there are infinite ways to get it wrong and I've found at least a few. Maybe relevant and maybe not, it's only ever gone off the rails for me when I tried to scale up the recipe. That suggests to me that some part(s) of the recipe are not truly scalable (not ruling out use error, though). My guess is that it's the baking soda but tbh, I have no idea. A couple of times I've ended up with this result . . .

Lady Nuts
Not remotely sure what happened here. The only difference between my successful attempts and this one (that I can identify) was the doubling of the recipe. Was that the issue or was it something else that I botched? This looks like crystallization to me but until the baking soda went in, it looked identical to my previous, successful attempts.

Another time, after I experimented with the process by adding the butter later in the cook, I ran into some issues. After a short time, I could smell the butter browning hard and knew I needed to kill the heat before it burned. It hadn't reached 300F, so I knew it wasn't going to be right . . .

Pecan Candy Slab
Unlike the Lady Nuts, this one came out in one piece but the texture is what I'd describe as semi-soft. It's not as silky as a praline (missing the milk component) but it's pretty close. Not gritty, not grainy but certainly not brittle, either.

The silver lining is that even the non-brittles are delicious in their own right. The lady nuts are crunchy and sweet, with a complex roasted finish. They're great out of hand and would be amazing sprinkled on -- or mixed into -- some vanilla ice cream. The slab is also tasty, with a surprisingly pleasant mouthfeel. Still, I don't need pounds of surplus sugary snacks sitting around the house. I'm already making the cookies and that's enough.

Definitely curious about my fails and hoping someone can shed some light on why they might have happened. In the future, I'd like to scale this recipe up without worrying about the outcome.
hey Ronnie, my guess is just that it’s just crystallized, usually you can see it start happening a little ahead of time (some crystals forming around the edge of the pan). Other possible causes would be if the pan or utensils aren't perfectly clean, if the mixture gets stirred too early, if there are deep scratches in the pot, or if sugar creeps up the sides of the pan without getting washed down in the beginning.
You should be able to scale the recipe up without issue, I would add a little corn syrup or lemon juice to help prevent crystallization.
I'm happy to help troubleshoot if you wanted, just shoot me a message.

Here's a cookie plate that we did as a special this weekend.
(Although the macaroon is now dipped in chocolate and the hazelnut bar is now a pecan bar)
Attachments
IMG_2512.jpeg
ronnie_suburban

STPepper9 wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 11:57 am
ronnie_suburban wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2024 12:51 pm I've had some recent adventures in brittle-making. Not baking per se, it's a component in a cookie recipe with which I'm absolutely in love, so I've been making it fairly regularly lately. It's interesting to me, especially when using only sugar (no corn syrup), how many ways this seemingly simple thing can go off the rails. The process can be vexing, especially for a non-confectioner like myself.

Mise En Place

Pecan Brittle

Lady Nuts

Pecan Candy Slab

hey Ronnie, my guess is just that it’s just crystallized, usually you can see it start happening a little ahead of time (some crystals forming around the edge of the pan). Other possible causes would be if the pan or utensils aren't perfectly clean, if the mixture gets stirred too early, if there are deep scratches in the pot, or if sugar creeps up the sides of the pan without getting washed down in the beginning.
You should be able to scale the recipe up without issue, I would add a little corn syrup or lemon juice to help prevent crystallization.
I'm happy to help troubleshoot if you wanted, just shoot me a message.

Here's a cookie plate that we did as a special this weekend.
(Although the macaroon is now dipped in chocolate and the hazelnut bar is now a pecan bar)
Thanks, Jesse. I really appreciate the guidance. Going to keep at it until I can consistently produce correct outcomes . . . most likely with peanuts until I iron it out, as the mistakes are way less costly. :lol:

Your cookie plate looks totally delectable, btw!
=R=
XexoX

Post by XexoX »

Mr. Suburban, it has never made sense to me, but some recipes just don't work when doubled. I haven't a clue why. Mr. Harold Mcgee has a recipe for making nut brittle in the microwave. If you are interested, I can email it to you. I don't remember where or how I found it on the interwebz, but I made a copy for my own personal use. I hate it when it is always said to just keep a link, then the info disappears and the link doesn't linky anymore. There are also recipes for Pralines and Saffron Turkish Delight, if you'd like them too.
You can blame Mr. Suburban for my being here. :lol:
The thing about quotes on the internet is you can not confirm their validity. -- Abraham Lincoln
All steels are equal if you can't keep them sharp. -- Jeff B.
Bob Z

Post by Bob Z »

I'm not sure if I like knife or the bread better!
Bob Z

Post by Bob Z »

Another version of sourdough sandwich bread, this one from Brod and Taylor..the guys who make the bread proofer.
Attachments
IMG_4447.jpg
IMG_4450.jpg
ronnie_suburban

Finally converted that pecan brittle into some cookies . . .

Oat & Pecan Brittle Cookies
No idea why but they spread a lot more than they did last time. These more closely resemble the examples in Claire's cookbook and in her youtube video. They were still quite chewy, so the spread didn't diminish that excellent attribute at all. Still, when it comes to my baking, even with a good recipe, there's a fair amount of random chance involved.

Here, you can really see the way the brittle shows up in the finished product. Just a great, great recipe. These could be my favorites of any cookies I've ever baked (which, admittedly, isn't saying much).
=R=
jknife

Post by jknife »

ronnie_suburban wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2024 11:52 pm Finally converted that pecan brittle into some cookies . . .

No idea why but they spread a lot more than they did last time. These more closely resemble the examples in Claire's cookbook and in her youtube video. They were still quite chewy, so the spread didn't diminish that excellent attribute at all. Still, when it comes to my baking, even with a good recipe, there's a fair amount of random chance involved.

Here, you can really see the way the brittle shows up in the finished product. Just a great, great recipe. These could be my favorites of any cookies I've ever baked (which, admittedly, isn't saying much).
Ok. You have convinced me to give it a try! Wish me luck. :D
The pig is a magical animal. It takes vegetables and turns them into bacon.
ronnie_suburban

jknife wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2024 6:42 am
ronnie_suburban wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2024 11:52 pm Finally converted that pecan brittle into some cookies . . .

Ok. You have convinced me to give it a try! Wish me luck. :D
Yeah, good luck. I'll be curious to know how it turns out.
=R=
Jeff B

Post by Jeff B »

Bob Z wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2024 10:18 pm Another version of sourdough sandwich bread, this one from Brod and Taylor..the guys who make the bread proofer.
Bob, that bread looks absolutely AWESOME!
If God wanted me to be a vegetarian he wouldn't have made animals taste so good.