Anyone ever see this EdgePro Clip Attachment?

CKTG has a large amount of Edge Pro products so we've dedicated a forum to questions on Edge Pro sharpening systems, accessories and techniques.
erniewong415

Anyone ever see this EdgePro Clip Attachment?

Post by erniewong415 »

Would it be worth it to buy this attachment? It kind of turns it into a KME.
d_rap

Re: Anyone ever see this EdgePro Clip Attachment?

Post by d_rap »

Welcome to the forum ernie.

I searched a bit and couldn't immediately find a link for this attachment. It's obviously not an Edge Pro product, but there are some good mods that users have come up with that work well with the EP, so that's not necessarily a deal breaker.

But assuming the flat of mechanism at the holes attaches to the EP blade table, the knife rotating clamp is going to be pushed out off the table. Therefore, the edge of the knife you are sharpening is going to be several inches farther forward than the usual leading edge of the EP table where the blade is typically positioned. In that case, unless there's something I'm missing, you are going to have to replace or modify the pivot arm of the EP because the stock arm won't be long enough to sharpen a knife under the new conditions. You may be able to contact the edge of the knife with an EP-sized stone, but you will only be able to use a fraction of the stone because the arm isn't long enough to accommodate the resulting knife position. You're going to have too little stone contact and your range of motion is also going to be significantly limited.
David
Radar53

Post by Radar53 »

Hi Ernie. Yes I agree with David in terms of where the edge of the knife will end up. This will also affect the bevel grind angles which, without knowing more, may or may not be a problem. But having the edge of the blade further away from the pivot block, plus having it higher above the EP blade table, both of these things will make the edge bevel angle considerably more acute compared to any given normal setting. So if you're using the pivot arm coloured angle indicators as part of your set-up, the actual angle will be considerably more acute, meaning you will have to actually measure each angle using an Angle Guide or a smartphone app.

This new clamp may also mean that the pivot arm may not be tall enough to get some of the higher angles you may require at the edge say 21dps for example.

The last thing that I would want to be reassured about is the clearance of the stone over the top of the new clamp. Using the standard setup the stone only has to clear the retaining screw that locates the blade guide and this is some distance from the edge of the knife. However on the new clamp it looks like (i) the blade is quite some distance below the highest point of the new clamp and (ii) the clamping mechanism and jaws are closer to the edge of the knife. Both of these issues will make it more difficult to get the stone to clear the new clamp and reach the edge that's needing to be sharpened.

I would really need to see the new clamp actually set-up on the EdgePro to be more confident about the above, but that's my best guess from what I can see at the moment.

Hope that helps
Cheers Grant

Just because you're not paranoid doesn't mean they're not going to get you!!
erniewong415

Post by erniewong415 »

Thanks for the reply. Didn't think of those aspects. I'm just not good at holding the blade. the magnet isn't working for me either
Radar53

Post by Radar53 »

erniewong415 wrote: Fri May 29, 2020 10:21 am Thanks for the reply. Didn't think of those aspects. I'm just not good at holding the blade. the magnet isn't working for me either
You've not talked much about what and how you use the EP. I've taught a few people to sharpen using the EP, so let me ask some questions and maybe suggest a couple of things. So that will give us some idea of what you've got and what you do.

1) have you looked at the video's on the EP website? If not, it's a good place to start and you can find them here <https://www.edgeproinc.com/videos-32.html>
2) what stones are you using; standard EdgePro stones or third party stones. If it's the latter, what grits do you have and what brand(s)?
3) what knives are you attempting to sharpen and what state are they in?
4) what progression are you using eg 500, 1000, 2000 and at what stage do you move to a higher grit stone?
5) the biggest issue I have encountered in teaching people is that they use way too much pressure (I was guilty of this early on as well, so no problem). With good third party stones you can use quite light pressures and just let the stones go about their work. Too much pressure just wears away stones unnecessarily with poorer results. Also too much pressure translates into added pressure on the blade pushing it down onto the table and hindering easy movement. Also, check out the light pressures Ben Dale uses in the videos noted above.

If we can start here, then we might be able to suggest some things to help you on your journey.
Cheers Grant

Just because you're not paranoid doesn't mean they're not going to get you!!
ken123

Post by ken123 »

"It kind of turns it into a KME."

Well that is debatable. Most likely a Chinese knockoff. Correct me if I'm wrong. So expect design shortcuts to be taken and NO support. So if the clamp comes loose or scratches up the blade, YOU fix it or discard it.

If you want a KME, get a KME. The originals are always better but a bit more $$. You will be much happier.

---
Ken
d_rap

Post by d_rap »

It is made by Ruixin, yes a Chinese company that has "engineered" an Edge Pro-like sharpening system. They are cheap, and you can even find them on Gritomatic, a very reputable site that among other things sells the fairly new and excellent Russian Venev diamond waterstones.

This accessory is actually designed to work with their system, but the aftermarket sites that have it mention (ungrammatically) Edge Pro in their product description. Here it is on ebay, but there are other offerings as well: https://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Cross-posi ... 2344175238

I agree with Ken: if you want a fixed system where you clamp a knife and turn it (not at all ideal for longer kitchen knives btw, a big weakness of KME) then get a KME, or one of the other similar systems. This accessory isn't really even designed as a knock-off for the Edge Pro and it will work poorly if at all with the EP.

By the way, Cody at EP tells me that they are well aware that some customers have a hard time with an unclamped knife in their system, even with the dedicated magnet, and at EP they have experimented around with solutions to this problem (for some users), so far with no real success. So for the foreseeable future, the EP remains a system where the user maintains or varies the position of the knife on a table, either with the help of a magnet or with just inertia and gravity providing the stability.
David
ken123

Post by ken123 »

You can do a longer blade on the KME if you do it in sections. It isn't well understood in KME land or EP land. The trick is that you are working with a coplanar surface from one end of the knife to the other IF you measure angles perpendicular to the edge rather than along the stone's axis.

Have you tried the strong neodymium magnets? I believe Mark sells them.

---
Ken
d_rap

Post by d_rap »

No I was just speaking generally about something that takes some doing with the KME. My buddy has one, I know you can get through a long knife with it and do it right.

But it isn't necessarily where I would steer someone who is into Japanese knives.

I have an Edge Pro but I mainly freehand sharpen at this point.

Just wanted to make sure the OP, if he is still around and anyone else reading this thread heard this potential limitation of the KME.
David