Custom Bread Knife

For questions/topics that don't fit into the other, more specific forums.
HHH Knives

Custom Bread Knife

Post by HHH Knives »

This one is for a very patient client. But arnt they all! ;)

Anyways, I went with a San Mai style blade. Blue#2 core with stainless cladding.
Blade is approx 9.5"

Grinds are approx 70/30 with serrations.

Handle will be Stabilized Curly Maple.

NOTE: this is "my way" Of doing a bread knife serrations etc. Its not the only way or necessarily the best way.
All this is done by hand. Without any Jigs or even a real plan! lol Just a
little common sense and experience. Combined with some hard work. and a
touch of luck!!! ;)
IMG_5901 (768x1024).jpg
IMG_5903 (768x1024).jpg
IMG_5904 (768x1024).jpg
IMG_5908 (768x1024).jpg
IMG_5910 (768x1024).jpg
IMG_5912 (1024x768).jpg
HHH Knives, Inspired by God, Forged by Fire, Tempered by Water, Grounded by Earth & Guided by the spirit!

God is GOOD, ALL the time!!!
Randy Haas
http://hhhcustomknives.com
nakneker

Re: Custom Bread Knife

Post by nakneker »

Wow, I like it! That should man handle Crusty bread. Nice looking, nice job!
“The goal is to die with memories, not dreams.”
HHH Knives

Post by HHH Knives »

Thanks man. I plan to take the serrations down a bit But YES Its gona cut bread like a BOSS and also will be a Brisket SLAYER!!!
HHH Knives, Inspired by God, Forged by Fire, Tempered by Water, Grounded by Earth & Guided by the spirit!

Randy Haas
Jeff B

Post by Jeff B »

Love the look of those serrations, looks mean! "SLAYER" sounds like the perfect description! :twisted:
If God wanted me to be a vegetarian he wouldn't have made animals taste so good.
Drewski

Post by Drewski »

Wow, really cool! Looks like shark teeth
HHH Knives

Post by HHH Knives »

Made some progress on this one!!
IMG_5943 (768x1024).jpg
IMG_5945 (768x1024).jpg
IMG_5946 (768x1024).jpg
IMG_5951 (1024x768).jpg
IMG_5956 (1024x768).jpg
IMG_5957 (1024x768).jpg

Randy Haas
salemj

Post by salemj »

I can't quite tell what's going on with the serrations! I guess is it that the approach on one side of the blade is quite different than the other?

I really admire your handiwork, but I do have an honest question in this case. I've always thought that carbon bread knives (or serrated knives) were probably a bad idea because you're supposed to dry carbon thoroughly, but it is a bit tricky to dry sharp serrations, especially if they have a lot of "tooth" versus just being a bit more "scalloped." Now, I LOVE the look you have going on with the san mai construction, but I guess I'm just wondering if this issue has ever come up before, or if there maybe are actually a lot of carbon serrated knives out there that are totally fine but that I'm less aware of.

You're creating a work of art, and I'm sure that anyone who owns that knife will use it appropriately and will have no issues with residual moisture. But I'd still like to know if you (or anyone else) has any thoughts on my point above. Am I crazy for even thinking this might be a thing, especially with "lesser" knives that probably get a little more abuse?
~Joe

Comments: I'm short, a home cook, prefer lighter, thinner blades, and own mostly Konosukes but have used over a dozen brands.
HHH Knives

Post by HHH Knives »

IMG_6008 (1024x716).jpg
IMG_6010 (1024x768).jpg
IMG_6011 (1024x768).jpg
IMG_6012 (1024x769).jpg
IMG_6013 (1024x768).jpg
IMG_6015 (1024x768).jpg
IMG_6017 (1024x768).jpg

Randy Haas
HHH Knives

Post by HHH Knives »

salemj wrote: Thu Jun 28, 2018 5:48 pm I can't quite tell what's going on with the serrations! I guess is it that the approach on one side of the blade is quite different than the other?

I really admire your handiwork, but I do have an honest question in this case. I've always thought that carbon bread knives (or serrated knives) were probably a bad idea because you're supposed to dry carbon thoroughly, but it is a bit tricky to dry sharp serrations, especially if they have a lot of "tooth" versus just being a bit more "scalloped." Now, I LOVE the look you have going on with the san mai construction, but I guess I'm just wondering if this issue has ever come up before, or if there maybe are actually a lot of carbon serrated knives out there that are totally fine but that I'm less aware of.

You're creating a work of art, and I'm sure that anyone who owns that knife will use it appropriately and will have no issues with residual moisture. But I'd still like to know if you (or anyone else) has any thoughts on my point above. Am I crazy for even thinking this might be a thing, especially with "lesser" knives that probably get a little more abuse?
Sry I did not notice this sooner!

As far as the knife and the upkeep. Our san mai is pretty good about not rusting. Yet it will require a bit more effort on a serrated knife depending on what your cutting. and stuff!!

My recommendation to anyone with one of my san mai knives. To wash with as hot of water as you have. rinse well. in same hot water. and then allow to dry or wipe dry with cotton towel etc. So far no big problems have been reported or knives coming back for rust or other issues related to rust.

As far as the grinds. They are a "hy-bread" grind. approx 70/30 This gets me fulling into the core everywhere on the edge. and allows me to thin and taper the blade face so its a baguette brawler..

Thanks for the question and I would be happy to continue this convo if you have any others

Blessings
Randy

Randy Haas
salemj

Post by salemj »

Thanks Randy! It is always nice to ask specific makers about general questions. I hope it was clear that this had less to do with your specific product and more to do with a general question answered from a specific-maker's point of view. It was just one of those things that has occurred me before about bread knife but that I hadn't really seen discussed elsewhere, and your unique san mai blade gave me a good excuse to ask it.

It's kinda funny: in my house a beautiful, "special occasion" bread knife would probably get a lot more use and a lot more appreciation than a special occasion slicer! I tend to cut bread as-needed, but for meat and stuff, I rarely carve anything in front of guests—not even turkeys. It's nice to see you share all of the steps and effort that are going into this blade.
~Joe

Comments: I'm short, a home cook, prefer lighter, thinner blades, and own mostly Konosukes but have used over a dozen brands.
HHH Knives

Post by HHH Knives »

Always happy to talk with you all about knives!!

I believe the owner of this bread knife is a lot like you and it will be used often and for much more then bread. :)

Happy Independence day!

Randy Haas