Sharpening carbon vs SG2 etc

If you have questions about sharpening products, steels or techniques post them here.
Kerneldrop

Sharpening carbon vs SG2 etc

Post by Kerneldrop »

How does your sharpening technique and progression differ when sharpening steels like SG2/HAP40/ZDP vs the carbons?
ex1580

Re: Sharpening carbon vs SG2 etc

Post by ex1580 »

I use diamonds on the modern steels. Otherwise, it's more by knife and how I want it finished. Trying to sharpen a modern steel on a stone that can't cut it will be very frustrating and I don't like that. Shapton Glass work nice too.
Sam
Kerneldrop

Post by Kerneldrop »

ex1580 wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2024 12:56 pm I use diamonds on the modern steels. Otherwise, it's more by knife and how I want it finished. Trying to sharpen a modern steel on a stone that can't cut it will be very frustrating and I don't like that. Shapton Glass work nice too.
I used DMT diamonds on a White #1 the other day and the entire edge was chipped.
I re-sharpened on a SG progression and most of them are out.
I'm not sure what happened...but i doubt i'll use 220 grit diamonds on a carbon again.
And maybe I was pressing down too hard. I am an excessive-pressure on the course stones type and I may have gotten into a rhythem and forgot that I don't need firm pressure on diamonds.
Radar53

Post by Radar53 »

I prefer not to use diamonds unless I'm looking to remove a lot of steel and then only for the first step. Assuming good quality ceramic stones (or equivalent), the main difference for me is that these just require a little more time & / or pressure. My stones are mainly Nubatama's & Shapton Glass and I find they handle SG2/HAP40/ZDP well.
Cheers Grant

Just because you're not paranoid doesn't mean they're not going to get you!!
Jeff B

Post by Jeff B »

Radar53 wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2024 3:37 pm I prefer not to use diamonds unless I'm looking to remove a lot of steel and then only for the first step. Assuming good quality ceramic stones (or equivalent), the main difference for me is that these just require a little more time & / or pressure...
+1
If God wanted me to be a vegetarian he wouldn't have made animals taste so good.
Kalaeb

Post by Kalaeb »

The trick with diamond is very light pressure. The lowest I go for diamond is 1k then I follow with 6k. Never had a concern of too much steel being removed. Every pm and super steel I use diamond.