Knife Recommendation: Flat Profile Gyuto

We encourage you to post your questions about kitchen knives here. We can give you help choosing a knife.
Radar53

Re: Knife Recommendation: Flat Profile Gyuto

Post by Radar53 »

Thanks mate?? You're a man of many talents. But do tell ~ how did you manage to do that from the back of your truck??? :lol: :lol: :lol:
Cheers Grant

Just because you're not paranoid doesn't mean they're not going to get you!!
Jeff B

Post by Jeff B »

Good wi-fi.....
If God wanted me to be a vegetarian he wouldn't have made animals taste so good.
ex1580

Post by ex1580 »

I hope that Hilas found something good! I ended up getting an Ogata SG2 Kasumi Gyuto 210mm after all of this conversation and it surprised me...

The Ogata I received is much more substantial that the description led me to believe! Maybe it's because I've been using a Shibata Kashima gyuto so much lately but the Ogata is much more knife than the Shibata. It's taller, heavier, and doesn't flex much. The Ogata wasn't all that sharp out of the box, but I take that with a grain of salt because sharpening is part of normal knife maintenance. Also, Kasumi isn't something that jumps to mind when I see the finish. It looks more brushed than hazy, but I am no expert on such things. The grind is fantastic! I really like how it appears mono steel (even though it's not) but you can really see that grind at the same time. I hope that makes sense. I need to go cut a dozen or so pounds of vegetables before I will comment on the performance but I think Ogata is money well spent. Very happy here. :)
Sam
Kerneldrop

Post by Kerneldrop »

ex1580 wrote: Thu May 09, 2024 7:06 am I ended up getting an Ogata SG2 Kasumi Gyuto 210mm after all of this conversation and it surprised me...
I think Ogata is money well spent. Very happy here. :)
Can you post a choil shot? Does the grind taper and thin towards the tip?
I heard the recent Ogata batches are more beefy than his past batches.
ex1580

Post by ex1580 »

It is not easy to take a good choil shot. Here is my phones best effort on a couple of pictures (it thinks it's smart).

This knife, like many new knives, took a bit of effort to sharpen the first time. There was a spot right in the middle of the flat area that took a long time to raise a burr. I kept checking under a microscope and I was on the angle but there was just something funky going on at the apex. Eventually I got there and now it should be smooth sailing.

Yesterday I sharpened a different knife with a small chip that was only just visible and it took about 15 min so I was hoping for another easy day. Maybe next time.
Attachments
PXL_20240509_174259933-min.jpg
PXL_20240509_174332201-min.jpg
Sam
Kerneldrop

Post by Kerneldrop »

I do like that brushed finish.
I like that grind --at least from the choil shot-- it's like an everyday-user.
Def thicker at the edge than others he's done.
ex1580

Post by ex1580 »

Kerneldrop wrote: Thu May 09, 2024 1:03 pm I do like that brushed finish.
I like that grind --at least from the choil shot-- it's like an everyday-user.
Def thicker at the edge than others he's done.
It is definitely an every day knife. I think it's pretty high performance without going all the way laser where you might be worried about hurting it. That's the sweet spot. Now I need to rip through a ton of food with it and see how it holds up. It might turn into my go-to knife! :)
Sam