What should my next knife be?

We encourage you to post your questions about kitchen knives here. We can give you help choosing a knife.
Radar53

Re: What should my next knife be?

Post by Radar53 »

The dates on this thread seem to be all over the place.

As a dyed-in-the-wool Shibata fan-boi, I like the Taz's Shibata suggestion, as all the hype around these knives is not misplaced.

Also, I have the Shiro Kamo that Jeff refers to. It's certainly got a real in your face, look at me persona, but it backs this up with true performance and ease of sharpening.
Cheers Grant

Just because you're not paranoid doesn't mean they're not going to get you!!
ex1580

Post by ex1580 »

taz575 wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2024 7:32 am Another option is a Funayuki. They comes in single or double and usually around 165mm-180mm. I have a couple double bevel ones and when cooking smaller quantity, they work really nice for quick prep. Tall enough for knuckle clearance, a fairly flatish edge profile, but a pointy tip for more precise work. You could get a single bevel one to see how you like single bevels:

https://www.chefknivestogo.com/iswh2fu16.html
https://www.chefknivestogo.com/ki18fubl2.html
https://www.chefknivestogo.com/sawh2fu18.html
What is a good use case for a single bevel multi purpose knife like a Funayuki or Gyuto? I think that the Ishikawa knives look really interesting but not sure why I need one. Extreme cutting performance, yes, but using a thin white #2 steel on my cutting board? It's been a head scratcher for me.
Sam
taz575

Post by taz575 »

Cutting low or soft ingredients works well with a single bevel where there is less chance of wedging/steering until you get used to the single bevel. Slicing down chicken breast, steak or pork, peppers, mushrooms etc for fajitas with a single bevel can be nice. Thinly sliced onions takes a little getting used to with a single bevel. I prefer double beveled knives by far, but there are some good uses for a single bevel if people want to try then.
ex1580

Post by ex1580 »

The only other single bevel knives I have are Kanehide and they steer like a bread knife, haha. I might have to try one of these others. Thanks!
Sam
Kerneldrop

Post by Kerneldrop »

ex1580 wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 6:35 am What is a good use case for a single bevel multi purpose knife like a Funayuki or Gyuto?,,,
To either learn a new sharpening skill, or because you are a knife enthusiast and want to have a single-bevel.
Like Taz said, there's some tasks where a home-cook would pick one when given the choice.
I have a ~$20 Chopper King single bevel. I use it to cut chicken and whatever else.
I don't have a cooking style where one is beneficial.
I mainly got it to just to sharpen a single-bevel and play around with it.
But then I learned not all single-bevels have the same or even similar blade geometry.
Mowgface

Post by Mowgface »

Were I you, I think I would find a yanagiba, or a 210 petty.

I’m no pro, so shorter Yanagis work for me.

I also see you don’t have 37.5 Gyutos, so you should work on that. 8-)