What is this Shiny Line on Edge

If you have questions about sharpening products, steels or techniques post them here.
Kerneldrop

Re: What is this Shiny Line on Edge

Post by Kerneldrop »

stevem627 wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2024 11:24 am I actually found sharpening knives like Mercers was originally quite frustrating since I thought I should use high grit to get them really sharp....

Sharpening better steels will be a necessary step forward and you can certainly do it. Don't get rid of a knife since you're afraid to try sharpening it...just refine your sharpening skills. It's not hard to get better, you just need some experience. I think perhaps your could learn nicely on a smaller knife, but eventually you will need to move up. Soft gummy stainless knives make you think you are worse at sharpening than perhaps you are.

Also, I think the one thing that gave me an AH HA moment was learning to reduce pressure while sharpening. The move up in grit means you need less pressure each step.
It's funny because while I was sharpening that knife I was thinking to myself how it sure does feel more challenging to sharpen this Mercer than it does my Japanese carbon steels. I've decided to keep the Shibata 240mm. I like the profile a lot...so I just need to step up and refine my skills like you said. It’s just a tool anyways…it’s not going to the Smithsonian.

I'm working hard on refinement. I pay close attention to my mechanics, seeing and feeling the angle, the sound and tactile feel. I can't slice through paper towels like some, and can't split hairs, but luckily I get results that cut food. I practice with both hands and do both edge leading and trailing. So, I'm getting there. I've just never sharpened quality PM steel such as SG2 or ZDP-189. My knives are all White & Blue, except for a 210mm gyuto Ginsan and 240mm gyuto SG2.
ex1580

Post by ex1580 »

If I had to go below 320 Shapton Glass I would use some sandpaper affixed to the back of my diamond plate. I feel like the only reason other people are using 220 stones is because they don't have Shapton Glass which cuts like crazy. Just my two cents. Other folks around here have power tools.
Sam
Mowgface

Post by Mowgface »

I like my 220 pink brick, and its not because i dont have a Shapton Glass.
jmcnelly85

Post by jmcnelly85 »

I prefer the shapton pro 220 to the glass 220, I was pretty shocked how quickly I wore through the glass 220.