10" Chef in XHP

This is a free service where you can buy and sell knives and sharpening equipment and kitchen tools. There is no fee for posting items but we require that you've made at least 30 posts on our forum before you post something for sale.
Forum rules
As stated in the description, we want to get to know you better before allowing new forum members to post items for sale. You will not be able to create topics until you reach a 30 post minimum. Please take your time and contribute to the forum discussions in a substantive way. SPAM posting to reach 30 posts is considered very bad form and could get you booted off these forums.

NOTE: If you have an item for sale and you are located outside the Continental U.S. please state your location so the buyer knows what to expect in a purchase transaction.
timos

10" Chef in XHP

Post by timos »

10" LENGTH BY 2" TALL Chef Knife

Modeled after the famed “Masamoto KS” this knife is faithful to the originals grind geometry. The KS was I believe modeled after the French Sabatier.

Solid XHP Steel for a modern high performance experience. Rubberized Carbon Fiber grips with G10 frame and Titanium Corby bolts. Sealed with West Systems G-flex Marine Grade Epoxy.

The handle is western shape but very lightweight. The balance point is blade forward more similar to a Wa handle.

Kydex Saya with a skull bead retention pin. Price is $700 shipped CONUS

ImageImageImageImageImageImage

Tim Johnson
Oxford, MA

“In the beginner’s mind there are many possibilities, but in the expert’s there are few”
--s. suzuki
Web: http://www.timothyjohnsonknives.com
Email: tim@blackstoneknife.com
Instagram: @timostheos
Kalaeb

Re: 10" Chef in XHP

Post by Kalaeb »

Love it, very well done. And XHP is a fun steel.
timos

Post by timos »

Reduced to $600 shipped CONUS
Tim Johnson
Oxford, MA

“In the beginner’s mind there are many possibilities, but in the expert’s there are few”
--s. suzuki
ex1580

Post by ex1580 »

I really like the style of this knife! Pointy is good! I also like your Baker Forge Steel Chef knife for the sheer wow factor of how the steel looks. I don't know much about XHP steel but I will say that if I had a spare $600 laying around I would have bought this by now. Maybe I need another job. :)
Sam
salemj

Post by salemj »

Beautiful blade and profile. It is amazing how much more I enjoy using a knife that looks good to ones that don't! If I understand, XHP is stainless. I have a stainless KS and I love it. I imagine this knife would bring all the same enjoyment.
~J

Comments: I'm short, a home cook, prefer lighter, thinner blades, and have tried dozens of brands over the years.
timos

Post by timos »

There is a great article on the history of xhp on knife steel nerds. long story short, Carpenter Steel balanced the properties between the highly wear resistant d2 steel and the highly corrosion resistant 440c steels. At a later date they then produced a powder version to improve the toughness as well.

I had a serious professional in mind with this blade. wont rust, wont dull too fast , and the rubber layered with carbon fiber makes for a truly unique and awesome grip.
Tim Johnson
Oxford, MA

--s. suzuki