Carbon Skillets

Post great deals you've discovered on kitchenware like pots & pans, countertop appliances, knife blocks, towels and gadgets, etc.
Forum rules
Post great deals you've discovered on kitchenware like pots & pans, countertop appliances, knife blocks, towels and gadgets, etc.

Please do not announce deals from competitors on knives and sharpening stones. We reserve the right to delete posts that violate these rules.
Bob Z

Re: Carbon Skillets

Post by Bob Z »

XexoX wrote: Fri Aug 11, 2023 5:01 pm There were two other pans offered briefly which I got and find myself using a lot now too. They are the Kirameki Iron Frying Pan 26cm ($35) & 24cm ($30). No page for them now. :cry: :cry: :cry: Maybe Mr. Mark will get more if we ask nicely.
I happened to post a topic on these and got two of them, and if they were available I would grab a 30cm version (12 inch). I liked them so much ended up keeping both.
https://www.chefknivestogoforums.com/vi ... hp?t=16400
A question about high heat arose and I only do eggs and similar stuff in mine, i wouldn't want high heat too long as I think they would warp, but i have carbon steel and cast iron for those high heat items.
But this quest is about looks, not function. I imagine all of the higher end carbon steel pans will perform in a similar fashion.

I took a look at the Heritage Creative 11" skillet. looks nice and also light, but only an 8" cook area for $340.
https://blanccreatives.com/collections/ ... lletmedium
They have a bronze handled version that looks great, but the pan is just a reg round pan, no artisanal appeal to it but @ $420 I think its overpriced.
https://blanccreatives.com/collections/ ... gsaucier11
stevem627

Post by stevem627 »

Here is a link for the SBForge large skillet with helper handle. You can also get it without the helper handle for $20 less. As I said before, I love my Blanc Creatives skillet (now called Heritage series), but the new Pro series Blanc doesn’t look the same.

These SBForge are great values in hand hammered skillets and the roaster.

https://santa-barbara-forge-and-iron.my ... per-handle
Bob Z

Post by Bob Z »

stevem627 wrote: Fri Aug 11, 2023 9:49 pm Here is a link for the SBForge large skillet with helper handle. You can also get it without the helper handle for $20 less. As I said before, I love my Blanc Creatives skillet (now called Heritage series), but the new Pro series Blanc doesn’t look the same.

These SBForge are great values in hand hammered skillets and the roaster.

https://santa-barbara-forge-and-iron.my ... per-handle
Thanks Steve; I'm kinda leaning toward one of those. Has some pizazz and eyeball and just about the right size and I dont have to go thru hoops to get one. lol would be awesome if I could get them to do a bronze handle right?
XexoX

Post by XexoX »

I'll bring up darto. I haven't bought from them yet, but the prices seem reasonable. I believe someone has posted that they bought and like the pans.
You can blame Mr. Suburban for my being here. :lol:
The thing about quotes on the internet is you can not confirm their validity. -- Abraham Lincoln
All steels are equal if you can't keep them sharp. -- Jeff B.
Bob Z

Post by Bob Z »

Since this is going to sit on top of the stove (I think) Wifey had to be involved since its her xmas present to me and she likes the Newquest best.
We shall see if I can actually get one. stay tuned!
XexoX

Post by XexoX »

Bob Z wrote: Mon Aug 28, 2023 10:30 pm Since this is going to sit on top of the stove (I think) Wifey had to be involved since its her xmas present to me and she likes the Newquest best.
We shall see if I can actually get one. stay tuned!
Best of luck Mr. Z. You are worth it!
The thing about quotes on the internet is you can not confirm their validity. -- Abraham Lincoln
ronnie_suburban

Post by ronnie_suburban »

Blanc Creatives is currently running a 20% off special on their Pro Line.
=R=
Half of cooking is thinking about cooking.
Bob Z

Post by Bob Z »

Newquist open for orders right now if you are interested. Just ordered my 13 incher! delivery in mid november.

https://www.newquistforge.com/products/ ... ch-skillet
Jeff B

Post by Jeff B »

Well I finally broke down and bought a Newquist Pow Wok because of you enablers!
If God wanted me to be a vegetarian he wouldn't have made animals taste so good.
ronnie_suburban

Jeff B wrote: Fri Sep 29, 2023 2:18 pm Well I finally broke down and bought a Newquist Pow Wok because of you enablers!
<>Takes a bow</> :lol:
=R=
XexoX

Post by XexoX »

Jeff B wrote: Fri Sep 29, 2023 2:18 pm Well I finally broke down and bought a Newquist Pow Wok because of you enablers!
You are welcome. :mrgreen:
Jeff B

Post by Jeff B »

Got a text notification From USPS that my package had been delivered, but I wasn't expecting anything.... :?

Came home to a pleasant surprise. Don't you love it when stuff shows up that you forgot you ordered. :D

If God wanted me to be a vegetarian he wouldn't have made animals taste so good.
ronnie_suburban

Jeff B wrote: Wed Nov 08, 2023 1:31 pm Got a text notification From USPS that my package had been delivered, but I wasn't expecting anything.... :?

Came home to a pleasant surprise. Don't you love it when stuff shows up that you forgot you ordered. :D

I tried to hit the Thumbs Up button twice and that didn't work but you get my meaning, right? :lol: Congrats!
=R=
XexoX

Blu Skillet Ironware

Post by XexoX »

Hi all,
Just got an email from Blu Skillet Ironware with an update on their Holiday sales, open house, etc. Read all about it on their website here.
XexoX

Post by XexoX »

Just got an email from Newquist Forge, tomorrow, 11/24/2023 at 10 PST their on-line store opens for the last sale of 2023. They will be accepting pre-orders on November 24 until they are sold out, and will ship all orders before Dec. 16.

Newquest Forge Shop

Best of luck in your purchases.
Bob Z

Post by Bob Z »

I ended up getting one of these:
Its a bit taller, and I liked the hammered appearance on the sides.
Sadly its hidden til xmas but I got a peek at it. Hard to wait!!
It was a tough decision between this, a cheaper one like from Blu skillet or a Challenger bread pan. Somehow I'm going to have to sneak in a Matsubara ginsan kiri cleaver when they show up. I could be out with Jeff and the dogs in the truck!
Jeff B

Post by Jeff B »

Bob Z wrote: Fri Nov 24, 2023 12:02 am ....I could be out with Jeff and the dogs in the truck!
That's why I bought the crew cab! :D
XexoX

Re: Carbon Skillets - Newquist Forge sale 3/24/2024

Post by XexoX »

Hello all, just go an email from Newquist Forge, their 18" Hand Hammered Carbon Steel Wok with Two Ear Handles and lid go on sale tomorrow. They also open the store for new pre-orders on 3/24/2024.

The email has a code for $50 off the wok, 18outdoorwok, but then also mentions the wok is $60 off, so not sure what the price will be. The discounts apply to wok with lid, not without the lid.

Hope I got this info correct.
Bob Z

Post by Bob Z »

Bob Z wrote: Fri Nov 24, 2023 12:02 am I ended up getting one of these:

So fast forward got this for xmas, and it sat in the box for almost two months as we were doing some updating and i dragged it out ready for its maiden journey, but discovered the bottom was "domed" It was only a slight deflection of maybe 2mm but when you want to cook eggs, it meant the eggs will always go to the edges and uneven pancakes etc.
I think i read somewhere that someone had their pans designed that way and when you heated them up they became flat so i emailed the folks at Smithey and asked it it was a defect or. And they replied they were made that way. So my main purpose for this pan evaporated and sadly I sent it back.
XexoX

Post by XexoX »

That is sad Mr. Z. I weep in sympathy with you.