Knife maker Shintou

For questions/topics that don't fit into the other, more specific forums.
dan-in-tx

Knife maker Shintou

Post by dan-in-tx »

A friend of mine recently traveled to Japan. While in Kyoto, he bought me a knife made by Shintou. (I think)

I’m trying to find information about the maker? It’s a beautiful 185mm Gyuto. This is the shop he bought it from.

https://kyoto-shintou.com/

Any assistance would be appreciated.
Attachments
IMG_0735.jpeg
IMG_0734.jpeg
IMG_1975.jpeg
taz575

Re: Knife maker Shintou

Post by taz575 »

I found this on FaceBook:

Small beautiful knife shop, "Shintou" in Kyoto: Shinji Tanioka grew up in a household where both his grandmother and mother taught cooking. So knives were important part of their lives. Tanioka spent more than 15 years, working at Kyoto's famous 560 year-old knife shop, Aritsugu. He became a Sharpening Master, hand honing knives with Honbazuke method and opened his own little shop in Higashiyama last May. The shop has extensive range of brilliant Japanese knives. Tanioka can professionally sharpen your knife and carve your name on any of your newly-purchase knife. Open from 10 am till 6 pm everyday except Wednesdays. The shop is on Matsubara Street in Higashiyama. Tel: (075) 533-7177

So it looks like it's a knife/sharpening shop, not a particular brand and the person who owns the shop does mostly sharpening and engraving.
TheLegalRazor

Post by TheLegalRazor »

That's a cool store. Thanks for posting the photos. What we still don't know is who made your knife. Perhaps it's a house brand. It has some similarity to the Tsunehisa Nami AUS10.

https://www.chefknivestogo.com/tsnaau1.html
Ricardo
Kekoa

Post by Kekoa »

Instantly reminded me of the Nami.
jknife

Post by jknife »

Reminded me of a Haruyuki Zanpa which is the same steel and handle as the Nami. Also made in the same place (Tosa). I’m going to go out on a limb and say “same knife, different name “. I do prefer the handle on the Shintou.
The pig is a magical animal. It takes vegetables and turns them into bacon.
dan-in-tx

Post by dan-in-tx »

taz575 wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 7:44 am I found this on FaceBook:

Small beautiful knife shop, "Shintou" in Kyoto: Shinji Tanioka grew up in a household where both his grandmother and mother taught cooking. So knives were important part of their lives. Tanioka spent more than 15 years, working at Kyoto's famous 560 year-old knife shop, Aritsugu. He became a Sharpening Master, hand honing knives with Honbazuke method and opened his own little shop in Higashiyama last May. The shop has extensive range of brilliant Japanese knives. Tanioka can professionally sharpen your knife and carve your name on any of your newly-purchase knife. Open from 10 am till 6 pm everyday except Wednesdays. The shop is on Matsubara Street in Higashiyama. Tel: (075) 533-7177

So it looks like it's a knife/sharpening shop, not a particular brand and the person who owns the shop does mostly sharpening and engraving.
Nice find. He did both for this knife. Engraved my name on blade and sharpened the knife. It’s the sharpest knife I’ve ever owned.
dan-in-tx

Post by dan-in-tx »

TheLegalRazor wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 10:06 am That's a cool store. Thanks for posting the photos. What we still don't know is who made your knife. Perhaps it's a house brand. It has some similarity to the Tsunehisa Nami AUS10.

https://www.chefknivestogo.com/tsnaau1.html
That would make sense. He had knives in the store that looked exactly like the Tsunehisa ZA Santoku that I bought here at CKTG. This photo was from his store.
Attachments
IMG_2016.jpeg
dan-in-tx

Post by dan-in-tx »

jknife wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 12:17 pm Reminded me of a Haruyuki Zanpa which is the same steel and handle as the Nami. Also made in the same place (Tosa). I’m going to go out on a limb and say “same knife, different name “. I do prefer the handle on the Shintou.
Thank you for posting this. It does look identical and it’s the same steel. This is close enough for me to feel comfortable with what I have. He sharpened it and it’s razor sharp. I love the knife and I agree, I like my handle better. 😀