Takeda Tuesdays

For questions/topics that don't fit into the other, more specific forums.
ChefKnivesToGo
Site Admin

Re: Takeda Tuesdays

Post by ChefKnivesToGo »

Mark Richmond
Co-Owner Chefknivestogo
https://www.chefknivestogo.com/newarrivals.html
dcoux09

Post by dcoux09 »

If anyone has a Takeda classic (iron clad), would you mind sharing your insights on upkeep compared to a stainless clad AS blade? Do you feel you have to baby it a bit more from keeping it rusting? I am pretty good at washing my knives after I'm done prepping food, but if I'm making a ratatouille I may be slicing for 30 minutes while the knife is damp. I'm sure this is a noobie question, so I appreciate everyone's patience with me.
Chops Burtington

Post by Chops Burtington »

With the blue super core, my stainless-clad Takeda is one of the easiest to maintain blades I have and I don't feel like I have to baby it at all. I still keep a slightly damp towel by my side and wipe the knife off occasionally.

With the iron clad knife, I'm more thorough, wiping off between each ingredient. So far so good! And it's pretty cool getting some blues in the cladding through the kurouchi.

The knife should get more resilient as it develops patina, and some people do various things to force a patina. A simple one I've heard is to cook a batch of sausages and slice them while hot.

The knife did come with some pretty heavy lacquer on it, so that would change how it responds to things if you left it on.

Don't let it stress you out and prevent you from enjoying your knife. Rust and patina can be removed and you can start fresh.
Matt_Sanchez

Post by Matt_Sanchez »

dcoux09 wrote: Sun Jul 16, 2023 5:01 pm If anyone has a Takeda classic (iron clad), would you mind sharing your insights on upkeep compared to a stainless clad AS blade? Do you feel you have to baby it a bit more from keeping it rusting? I am pretty good at washing my knives after I'm done prepping food, but if I'm making a ratatouille I may be slicing for 30 minutes while the knife is damp. I'm sure this is a noobie question, so I appreciate everyone's patience with me.

I am a professional chef that loves Takeda knives. However, I will have to agree with Takeda San himself when he says that the Classics are inferior to the Stainless Clad versions of his knives. There is a reason why the Classics are being discontinued and that reason is not to artificially increase their scarcity, it is because they do not work well with the demands of a professional kitchen. Rust is a problem. After every cut with a classic, you can expect it to follow with a wipe down. You must stay vigilant and immediately clean off your knife. This creates extra work. It is ok for the home cook or person that collects knives and does not use a knife for their profession or where they are making at minimum 100 cuts a day. In a busy professional kitchen, rust formation is a road block. From what I have tasted/experienced/observed, the presence of oxidation can also potentially taint the flavor of some foods as well as reduce freshness/shelf life. If you are a chef that works near or on the ocean (like me) you can oil your knife and store it and it will still require that you inspect it for any corrosion to preserve the integrity of the metal. That said, I will again state that I am a big fan of Takeda knives. I purchased my first Large Gyuto Classic in 2003. I will always have a Takeda knife on my board for special tastings and important meals. Even if the Takeda rests on my board for pure symbolism during special events, it is important for me. These incredible handmade knives have followed me through my career winning tastings and jobs along the way. Takeda’s stainless clad has the same laser sharpness and feel while eliminating the issues associated with rusting etc found on the classics. This is my personal experience. Your results may vary. All the best from Florida -
ronnie_suburban

Post by ronnie_suburban »

Matt_Sanchez wrote: Mon Jul 17, 2023 1:39 pm I will always have a Takeda knife on my board for special tastings and important meals. Even if the Takeda rests on my board for pure symbolism during special events, it is important for me.
Great, extremely insightful post but this section I particularly loved.
=R=
Half of cooking is thinking about cooking.
ChefKnivesToGo
Site Admin

Post by ChefKnivesToGo »

1 hour and 7 minutes till show time.
Mark Richmond
Co-Owner Chefknivestogo
trancher

Post by trancher »

ChefKnivesToGo wrote: Tue Jul 18, 2023 8:54 am 1 hour and 7 minutes till show time.
Hey everyone, Xexox and I are selling hot dogs and popcorn during the show next week. Bring cash! :D
ChefKnivesToGo
Site Admin

Post by ChefKnivesToGo »

Another feeding frenzy. Thanks everyone! See you next week for a new addition of Takeda Tuesday! I'll provide a new list soon of what we're selling.
Mark Richmond
Co-Owner Chefknivestogo
stevem627

Post by stevem627 »

Well, I was unsuccessful getting to final checkout with the 240 when it showed up…too slow and I kept refreshing for it to be for sale. Demand is incredibly high for the these.

Hope I have better luck next batch.

Hope other regulars got them…
Kalaeb

Post by Kalaeb »

Lol, I was in a Zoom meeting and briefly thought, what the heck, I will check it out and see if I get lucky. Turns out, after a morning of cranking out emails my fingers were on fire and I was able to get one. No one even noticed I had turned off my camera for a minute.
Cutuu

Post by Cutuu »

Kalaeb wrote: Tue Jul 18, 2023 10:28 am Lol, I was in a Zoom meeting and briefly thought, what the heck, I will check it out and see if I get lucky. Turns out, after a morning of cranking out emails my fingers were on fire and I was able to get one. No one even noticed I had turned off my camera for a minute.
Nice multi task
taz575

Post by taz575 »

Kalaeb wrote: Tue Jul 18, 2023 10:28 am Lol, I was in a Zoom meeting and briefly thought, what the heck, I will check it out and see if I get lucky. Turns out, after a morning of cranking out emails my fingers were on fire and I was able to get one. No one even noticed I had turned off my camera for a minute.
You gotta teach Jeff B how to multi task/purchase and not get caught! LOL
TheLegalRazor

Post by TheLegalRazor »

I lost ithe 210mm gyuto while in PayPal check out. Congratulations to whoever got it.
Ricardo
ChefKnivesToGo
Site Admin

Post by ChefKnivesToGo »

I have more of them so you'll have another shot next Tuesday.
Mark Richmond
Co-Owner Chefknivestogo
XexoX

Post by XexoX »

Looks like the Takeda Hamono Tenugui has been restocked too. At least they are shown in the New Arrivals. I guess most people here were more interested in the knives than the towels.
You can blame Mr. Suburban for my being here. :lol:
The thing about quotes on the internet is you can not confirm their validity. -- Abraham Lincoln
All steels are equal if you can't keep them sharp. -- Jeff B.
ChefKnivesToGo
Site Admin

Post by ChefKnivesToGo »

XexoX wrote: Thu Jul 27, 2023 12:44 pm Looks like the Takeda Hamono Tenugui has been restocked too. At least they are shown in the New Arrivals. I guess most people here were more interested in the knives than the towels.
For the record I’ve never seen a blacksmith that looked remotely like that tenugui. :)
Mark Richmond
Co-Owner Chefknivestogo
Jeff B

Post by Jeff B »

ChefKnivesToGo wrote: Thu Jul 27, 2023 7:45 pm
XexoX wrote: Thu Jul 27, 2023 12:44 pm Looks like the Takeda Hamono Tenugui has been restocked too. At least they are shown in the New Arrivals. I guess most people here were more interested in the knives than the towels.
For the record I’ve never seen a blacksmith that looked remotely like that tenugui. :)
Maybe she's supposed to just hold his hammer for him. :D
If God wanted me to be a vegetarian he wouldn't have made animals taste so good.
jknife

Post by jknife »

Jeff B wrote: Thu Jul 27, 2023 8:51 pm
ChefKnivesToGo wrote: Thu Jul 27, 2023 7:45 pm
Maybe she's supposed to just hold his hammer for him. :D
Don't get me started. This could go the way of the screw thread. :D
The pig is a magical animal. It takes vegetables and turns them into bacon.