What did you cook today?

For questions/topics that don't fit into the other, more specific forums.
billk1002

Re: What did you cook today?

Post by billk1002 »

Another beautiful 75 degree night in B-more so it was time to fire up the grill.
Blackened salmon on the grill with lots of veggies and a side of tabouli with a garlic aioli sauce.
The aioli sauce;
Cut the roots of of an entire head of garlic leaving it whole, add some EVO and salt, roast it until brown and soft
In a blender, add the roasted garlic, EVO, salt, pepper, one raw egg yolk, blend well.
IMG_4032.jpg
I need more cast iron
I need more cast iron
IMG_4036.jpg
Home cook, addicted to knives, stones, food and new recipes.
Bill
Jeff B

Post by Jeff B »

Geeze that plate looks great Bill!
If God wanted me to be a vegetarian he wouldn't have made animals taste so good.
billk1002

Post by billk1002 »

Jeff B wrote: Tue May 23, 2023 4:16 pm Geeze that plate looks great Bill!
Jeff, thank you!
Ever since finding CKTG my passion for spending money and cooking has been reignited, I really like my new knives!
I do get a lot of inspiration from the others that post here, so thank you to all who contribute to this blog.
Bill
ronnie_suburban

Post by ronnie_suburban »

billk1002 wrote: Tue May 23, 2023 5:02 pm
Jeff B wrote: Tue May 23, 2023 4:16 pm Geeze that plate looks great Bill!
Jeff, thank you!
Ever since finding CKTG my passion for spending money and cooking has been reignited, I really like my new knives!
I do get a lot of inspiration from the others that post here, so thank you to all who contribute to this blog.
I agree with both of you. Bill's plate looks amazing and this thread and community have really inspired my cooking over the past few years.
=R=
Half of cooking is thinking about cooking.
ronnie_suburban

~85 F and nothing but sun so, another quickie, (mostly) at the grill tonight . . .

Sausage Prep & Masakage AS Koishi Gyuto, 210mm
Scored 'Grill' sausages (oka mini kielbasas) for the grill and evoo, onions, salt & pepper for frying on the stove top.

Out to the grill . . .

Grilling
Cooked these indirect most of the way, then moved them to the direct side at the end for a couple of minutes.

Plated Up
In addition to the onions, condimented this with a couple of mustards, hot giardiniera relish and homemade sauerkraut. Steamed asparagus (evoo, lemon salt) and a blob of the weekly slaw.
=R=
ronnie_suburban

I normally don't cook boneless/skinless chicken thighs on the grill because unless I'm willing to spend some extra time with them, they tend to fully cook before they develop any exterior texture. But tonight I went the other way. Oiled them liberally, seasoned them up heavy and then tended them mindfully while they grilled. Before that, though, working through some aging veg . . .

Veg Mise En Place & Masakage AS Koishi Gyuto, 210mm
Evoo, shio koji, zucchini, salt, mini tomatoes, yellow onion, red bell & poblano peppers, chopped garlic, black pepper and white wine. Hot and fast saute in a couple of phases, doing my best to caramelize the wine and the liquid koji as they hit the pan . . .

Sauteed Veg

Next up, the chicken . . .

Grilling
As I mentioned above, I went direct on these to start. Once they were well marked (turn, turn, turn), I moved them over to the indirect side, covered the grill and let them finish.

Plated Up
With leftover/reheated brown basmati rice and some spicy-sweet cucumber salad.
=R=
billk1002

Post by billk1002 »

Garbage can cast iron lunch...
It was either going in the skillet or the can.
Leftover tabouli with blackened chicken thighs, mushrooms, zucchini, green beans and onions.
And a Happy pre Friday to all!
IMG_4037.jpg
IMG_4038.jpg
Bill
mjgillen

Post by mjgillen »

Grilled cheese sandwich for the wife who is not feeling well.
Jeff B

Post by Jeff B »

billk1002 wrote: Thu May 25, 2023 12:17 pm Garbage can cast iron lunch...
It was either going in the skillet or the can.
Leftover tabouli with blackened chicken thighs, mushrooms, zucchini, green beans and onions.
And a Happy pre Friday to all!

IMG_4037.jpg
IMG_4038.jpg
That's some great looking garbage Bill!
If God wanted me to be a vegetarian he wouldn't have made animals taste so good.
gladius

Post by gladius »

Happy Meal!

It amazes me how i can add eggs to a meal and it becomes a happy meal...

gladius

Post by gladius »

More happiness...

My wife made this German recipe from a magazine...

trancher

Post by trancher »

gladius wrote: Thu May 25, 2023 4:49 pm Happy Meal!
gladius wrote: Thu May 25, 2023 5:13 pm More happiness...

Is this the original Egg McPizza? Direct descendant of the Happy Meal? ;)

Okay, I'm stumped. What is this eggcellent dish called, Gladius?
gladius

Post by gladius »

trancher wrote: Thu May 25, 2023 5:30 pm
Is this the original Egg McPizza? Direct descendant of the Happy Meal? ;)

Okay, I'm stumped. What is this eggcellent dish called, Gladius?
--
I don't know, give it a name! - it is quiche with peas and Greek yogurt that is pretty tasty. My wife snaps photos from all over but did not get the title for this recipe. This is the first time she made it. Next time she is going to under-cook the boiled eggs and cover with foil in the oven. This week we both went to market and brought eggs so out come the egg recipes :)

I like it with Habanero sauce...

trancher

Post by trancher »

Broiled Lemon Butter Flounder

Forced to sub coconut oil for butter :cry: and added some cayenne pepper for heat.

This flounder was the king of the flat fish! My fillets were all less than 1/4" thick! Concerned they would over cook quickly, they rested at room temperature to warm up some for about 40 minutes, and were broiled to flaky in 6 minutes. Lemon slices covered the thinnest parts of the fish to possibly keep from over-cooking.

Sauteed Bell Peppers and Onion w/ Olives and Meyer Lemon was the side dish.

After eating this featherweight of a meal, I went hunting for something with actual calories. :D
007.jpg
006.jpg

TGIF!
XexoX

Post by XexoX »

Hey, Mr. Suburban, I know it is 6 weeks later, but I've got a nice bone-in ribeye steak I'm grilling tonight. 2 - 3 inches thick. Thought I'd sear first, like you did here, but my question is, did you put the cover on when you went to indirect? Thanks.
ronnie_suburban wrote: Sat Apr 15, 2023 10:56 pm Had an old friend, briefly in town, over for dinner and decided to plunk down for some serious ribeyes from the butcher. But first, some side-dishery . . .

Mushroom Mise En Place & Konosuke SKD Gyuto, 210mm
Red wine, unsalted butter, salt, creminis, minced garlic, 4x gelatinous pork stock, evoo, black pepper and shallots. These would get sauteed and get tossed, along with some leftover onions & peppers from the other night, into some quinoa.

Next up, those ribeyes . . .

Grilling
Heavy char, which came very quickly. I barely managed to keep things under control before I moved them to the indirect side. They were throwing some intense fat for a moment or two (as well-marbled ribeyes will do). All's well that ends well.

1985 Chateau Lynch-Bages, Pauillac & Resting Ribeyes
We shared a really nice bottle of wine that my visiting friend actually coached me to buy a few years ago. The wine was more than a decade older than my son! :shock:

Plated Up
With veg-studded quinoa and some of Mrs. Suburban's world-renowned roasted broccoli.
You can blame Mr. Suburban for my being here. :lol:
The thing about quotes on the internet is you can not confirm their validity. -- Abraham Lincoln
All steels are equal if you can't keep them sharp. -- Jeff B.
ronnie_suburban

XexoX wrote: Tue May 30, 2023 3:19 pm Hey, Mr. Suburban, I know it is 6 weeks later, but I've got a nice bone-in ribeye steak I'm grilling tonight. 2 - 3 inches thick. Thought I'd sear first, like you did here, but my question is, did you put the cover on when you went to indirect? Thanks.
Yes, I would. I always do. Sorry if I didn't specify but I don't think they'd really cook on the indirect side if they weren't covered.
=R=
ronnie_suburban

trancher wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 10:18 pm Broiled Lemon Butter Flounder

Forced to sub coconut oil for butter :cry: and added some cayenne pepper for heat.

This flounder was the king of the flat fish! My fillets were all less than 1/4" thick! Concerned they would over cook quickly, they rested at room temperature to warm up some for about 40 minutes, and were broiled to flaky in 6 minutes. Lemon slices covered the thinnest parts of the fish to possibly keep from over-cooking.

Sauteed Bell Peppers and Onion w/ Olives and Meyer Lemon was the side dish.

After eating this featherweight of a meal, I went hunting for something with actual calories. :D

007.jpg

006.jpg

TGIF!
This was a really nice looking dish! How was the coconut oil? Did it sub in well for butter, flavor-wise?
=R=
trancher

Post by trancher »

ronnie_suburban wrote: Tue May 30, 2023 7:31 pm This was a really nice looking dish! How was the coconut oil? Did it sub in well for butter, flavor-wise?
Thanks, Ronnie! I was surprised that the photos came out as well as they did considering all of the uninformed fumbling I was doing with that digital camera. :D

The coconut oil in the dish I felt worked good, not great. It did not impart any negative taste such as a coconut after taste, and it didn't seem to make any other flavors funky that I could tell. But even when making it, I was wishing that I could use butter as I think that it has much greater potential to add flavor/ flavor complexity to the dish.

If left to my own devices, I ideally would have traveled a little down the road of browning the butter. With fish that thin and cooking under the broiler, even mid oven, I'm unfamiliar with how much browning on butter I would get out of that setup in my stainless steel omelette pans, not much probably? I would have liked to pre-brown the butter to some degree, on the stove top and then cooked the fish in this. If that came out well, my next thought was to travel down the clarified butter/ghee road to see how that would have played with the citrus flavor.
XexoX

Post by XexoX »

ronnie_suburban wrote: Tue May 30, 2023 3:24 pm
XexoX wrote: Tue May 30, 2023 3:19 pm Hey, Mr. Suburban, I know it is 6 weeks later, but I've got a nice bone-in ribeye steak I'm grilling tonight. 2 - 3 inches thick. Thought I'd sear first, like you did here, but my question is, did you put the cover on when you went to indirect? Thanks.
Yes, I would. I always do. Sorry if I didn't specify but I don't think they'd really cook on the indirect side if they weren't covered.
Again, thanks. Turned out pretty good. Kenji suggested turning the steak over every 5 minutes and that it would take about 1/2 an hour, before searing. Which is about what it took. I was a bit worried as the temp read at 147 in one part, but 109 in another part. Came at just barely medium rare, leaning towards the rare side. Delicious. Now if I had only remembered to salt the onions and mushrooms when I fried them up...

I'll try the 2nd one today. Then I'll be eating leftover steak for a week at least. :oops: :o :shock: :roll:
You can blame Mr. Suburban for my being here. :lol:
The thing about quotes on the internet is you can not confirm their validity. -- Abraham Lincoln
All steels are equal if you can't keep them sharp. -- Jeff B.
ronnie_suburban

trancher wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 9:11 am
ronnie_suburban wrote: Tue May 30, 2023 7:31 pm This was a really nice looking dish! How was the coconut oil? Did it sub in well for butter, flavor-wise?
Thanks, Ronnie! I was surprised that the photos came out as well as they did considering all of the uninformed fumbling I was doing with that digital camera. :D

The coconut oil in the dish I felt worked good, not great. It did not impart any negative taste such as a coconut after taste, and it didn't seem to make any other flavors funky that I could tell. But even when making it, I was wishing that I could use butter as I think that it has much greater potential to add flavor/ flavor complexity to the dish.

If left to my own devices, I ideally would have traveled a little down the road of browning the butter. With fish that thin and cooking under the broiler, even mid oven, I'm unfamiliar with how much browning on butter I would get out of that setup in my stainless steel omelette pans, not much probably? I would have liked to pre-brown the butter to some degree, on the stove top and then cooked the fish in this. If that came out well, my next thought was to travel down the clarified butter/ghee road to see how that would have played with the citrus flavor.
Okay, gotcha. Yeah, brown butter seems like a natural. Even if you cooked the fish in another fat and just drizzled some brown butter on at the end, I bet it'd be delicious. If it were me at the helm, I'd be worried about overcooking the butter if I started cooking the fish with butter that was already browned, though I'm sure a more skilled/seasoned cook would have no problem with it. Either way, I think I may have to steal this concept sometime soon. 8-)
=R=