Knives-n'-Cabbages

ronnie_suburban

Re: Knives-n'-Cabbages

Post by ronnie_suburban »

Weekly slaw rides again . . .

Green Cabbage, Carrot & Toyama B#2 Damascus Gyuto, 210mm
=R=
Half of cooking is thinking about cooking.
Jeff B

Post by Jeff B »

Ah the weekly slaw, I'll take a blob! :D

And that's an awesome knife you got there! ;)
If God wanted me to be a vegetarian he wouldn't have made animals taste so good.
ronnie_suburban

Jeff B wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 5:44 pm Ah the weekly slaw, I'll take a blob! :D

And that's an awesome knife you got there! ;)
Haha, yes. Used (bnib, actually) but . . . totally new to me! Thank you for passing it on. I really appreciate it! :)
=R=
ronnie_suburban

Another edition of the weekly slaw . . .

Green Cabbage, Carrot, 1.5% salt & Masakage White #2 Shimo Gyuto, 210mm

This is a very flexible knife and would not be my first choice for breaking down a whole cabbage. But this is the knife I'm using at the moment, so I took some extra care and went ahead with it. It didn't present any issues but again, I made extra effort to secure the cabbage and cut it with focused intention, especially when I was halving, quartering and coring it. From there, it was a breezy joy the rest of the way home. :)
=R=
ronnie_suburban

The weekly slaw rides again . . .

Green Cabbage, Carrot & Myojin Riki Seisakusho SG2 Gyuto, 240mm

Been using the 210mm counterpart of this knife for my everyday cooking this week, so when it came time to make the slaw, I figured why not reach for the 240mm? Final score: Knife 1, Cabbage 0. :D
=R=
slensgra

Post by slensgra »

kiritsuke_small.jpg
purple cabbage and Tojiro Shirogami Kasumi Kiritsuke 240mm. It has been etched with ferric chloride

Another weekly slaw takes form . . .

Green Cabbage, Carrot & Konosuke SKD Gyuto, 210mm
=R=
ronnie_suburban

Knife Of The Week, Slaw Of The Week . . .

Green Cabbage, Carrot & Anryu Blue #2 Hammered Gyuto, 210mm
=R=
ronnie_suburban

Easing back into the kitchen after a few days away with another round of Weekly Slaw . . .

Taiwanese Cabbage, Carrot & Masakage AS Koishi Gyuto, 210mm

This was the knife on the board when I left town so naturally, it was the knife I started with when I got back. I happen to love it. :)
=R=
Jeff B

Post by Jeff B »

ronnie_suburban wrote: Tue May 30, 2023 3:22 pm ...This was the knife on the board when I left town so naturally, it was the knife I started with when I got back. I happen to love it. :)
I had a Koishi made by the infamous Hiroshi Kato before his retirement. The only knife I regret ever selling. One those "I didn't realize what I had 'till it was gone" moments. I was still a little green in this game when I made that mistake.
If God wanted me to be a vegetarian he wouldn't have made animals taste so good.
ronnie_suburban

Jeff B wrote: Tue May 30, 2023 8:54 pm
ronnie_suburban wrote: Tue May 30, 2023 3:22 pm ...This was the knife on the board when I left town so naturally, it was the knife I started with when I got back. I happen to love it. :)
I had a Koishi made by the infamous Hiroshi Kato before his retirement. The only knife I regret ever selling. One those "I didn't realize what I had 'till it was gone" moments. I was still a little green in this game when I made that mistake.
I'm sure it was quite a piece but at least you got to experience using it, which is more than most can say. I tend to go the other way and have trouble getting rid of anything. That presents a whole array of other issues; just ask my wife, lol! But at least knives don't take up too much space.
=R=
Jeff B

Post by Jeff B »

ronnie_suburban wrote: Tue May 30, 2023 10:32 pm
Jeff B wrote: Tue May 30, 2023 8:54 pm
I'm sure it was quite a piece but at least you got to experience using it, which is more than most can say. I tend to go the other way and have trouble getting rid of anything. That presents a whole array of other issues; just ask my wife, lol! But at least knives don't take up too much space.
You sure do have a collection to envy, a lot of knives that would be hard to let go of! Selling that Koishi definitely made me more leery about what I sell and thoroughly think it through before passing something along. I haven't sold much over the years but I haven't had the regrets again like with that Koishi. The solace I have in selling it is that it went to a great guy that loved it and uses it professionally in his job.
And what our wives would have to say about us if they ever got together....a conversation I don't think I'd want to be around for.... :D
ronnie_suburban

Jeff B wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 9:44 am I haven't sold much over the years but I haven't had the regrets again like with that Koishi. The solace I have in selling it is that it went to a great guy that loved it and uses it professionally in his job.
That is very cool in that at least it ended up with someone who uses it and values it.
Jeff B wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 9:44 am And what our wives would have to say about us if they ever got together....a conversation I don't think I'd want to be around for.... :D
LOL - let's try very hard to not let that happen! I actually got lucky selling some bourbon last year (that I'd inadvertently collected), so I don't think I'll be hearing any complaints about my 'collections' for at least a little while. :lol:
=R=
ronnie_suburban

The weekly slaw rides again . . .

Green Cabbage & Hitohira TD Blue #2 Kurouchi Gyuto, 210mm
=R=
JustJohn

Post by JustJohn »

Great looking texture. Do you start by breaking the cabbage down into small chunks and chopping each of those chunks fine, or do you chop large pieces into thin slices and then go back and divide the slices? Does it make sense what I'm asking? I feel like I'm not wording this very well.
ronnie_suburban

JustJohn wrote: Tue Jun 27, 2023 6:26 pm Great looking texture. Do you start by breaking the cabbage down into small chunks and chopping each of those chunks fine, or do you chop large pieces into thin slices and then go back and divide the slices? Does it make sense what I'm asking? I feel like I'm not wording this very well.
Well, no two shreds the same width . . . and that's exactly how I meant to do it, lol! :lol:

I break the cabbage into quarters, core each quarter and then slice it up perpendicular to the spine. That gets me about 80% of the way through it. Once I'm down to the larger, misbehaving pieces, I go back at them and just try to mince them up as small as possible. Does that make sense?
=R=
JustJohn

Post by JustJohn »

It does. Thanks for the explanation.
ronnie_suburban

Cranking up the weekly slaw one more time . . .

Green Cabbage, Carrot & Konosuke Fujiyama White #1 Damascus Gyuto, 240mm
=R=
ronnie_suburban

I didn't intend to make sauerkraut in the middle of the summer but these 2 monsters showed up and inspiration/necessity hit . . .

Conehead Cabbages
Before cleaning/trimming, the larger one, on the left, came in at 3365g. The smaller one came in at 2726g. So, just about 13.5 pounds total gross weight. I had to make sauerkraut because I didn't have enough room in the fridge to store them. :lol:

Sliced/Salted Cabbage, Masakage Koishi Gyuto, 240mm & V-Slicer
Net weight was 4,545g and I used 2% pickling salt. Used the Koishi for the break-down and the mop up. Used the V-Slicer for the rest of it. This was a fv<kl04d of cabbage! I'll pound it with a wooden dowel every so often until the moisture that seeps out rises above the level of the cabbage. From there, it'll go into the pickling crock for 1-2 weeks. Between the warmer weather (I've only ever krauted in fall) and the variety of cabbage, which I've never fermented before, I really have no idea how long it'll take, so I'll just have to keep a close eye and ear on it.
=R=
trancher

Post by trancher »

I saw these two monster cabbages in the first picture, and I was hoping that a 270 would come out to slay these goliaths :D

With a little trimming, that 7 1/2 pounder would almost be a candidate for the bowling alley... at least in the kiddos lane or maybe the local ho-down ;)